Notices

dealer on drugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Mike F250 SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealer on drugs?

So I went with my brother today to look at a Raptor at a local for dealer in NJ (all american). We were outside looking for 15mins and no one even looked at us but other then a blank stare like the were stoned. Any way beside bad service they wanted 5,000 over sticker?!?? My question is are all dealers marking these trucks up or just this dealer?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
merccougar93
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the 5,000 over stick price is so they can "bring the price down and give you a good deal". To them, we know nothing about the vehicles they have. Sounds like you need to set them right and act like you want it and then tell them no and tell them your going to a different dealer.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Mike F250 SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha yea I found one with a couple miles on it, prob a demo or somthing. I'm going to look at it tom..

Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
thats my kind of dealer, me personally i hate when two or three salesman come out and start hassleling you. when im ready to buy ill let them know. just remember, all prices are negotialble. im still having a hard time finding a raptor down here in texas. everytime i go look they either dont have any or they are reserved. one of these days i will get mine, if i find one.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 PM
KaiserM715
Senior User
Marking them up seems to be a popular thing to do. Several months ago I had a dealer in Houston call me about one they had. It was listed on eBay @$10k over. Ridiculous. It may take a little leg work, but there are plenty who are selling close to invoice (like the dealer I bought mine from).

Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM
mikebob
Junior User
In California mostly listed at MSRP you can get one easily for $1,200-$1,800 over invoice.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our local dealership had a blue one a few months back for....wait for it....$48k! I joked around with the salesman about the price and he pretty much said that it will sell for $48k and a few days later it was gone. I mean it's a sweet truck but I would never spend that much for one.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 AM
thunder63cs
New User
Originally Posted by highteckredneck
thats my kind of dealer, me personally i hate when two or three salesman come out and start hassleling you. when im ready to buy ill let them know. just remember, all prices are negotialble. im still having a hard time finding a raptor down here in texas. everytime i go look they either dont have any or they are reserved. one of these days i will get mine, if i find one.

Covert Ford in austin texas has 2 of them a blackone and a blue one last tuesday when I was there and picked up my 08 expedition.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
We went to a dealer ship one time (about 3 years ago) to look at a '63 Mercury M-100, and we just sat down in the truck with the heater on for an hour (it was very cold, and very late at night) Most dealerships, especially now-a-days, will stay open late. This one salesman, came running out, and waited in the cold all that time to talk to us...
Anyway, I asked him, so what are you askin' for the truck? He said "13" I said, "13 hundred...?" He said, "No, 13 thousand..."
This truck needed some work, even though they are rare, it wasn't worth that. You could probably buy a mint condition one for that.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Level2
Posting Guru
We had one that we ordered for a customer, it was a Molten Orange 6.2L and it listed for 46,XXX and we made him a great deal on it....didn't matter to us that it said SVT on it.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
It's a neat vehicle, it's a superb factory off roader, it's an attention getter, I love them ...
... but they aren't really great trucks.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM
KaiserM715
Senior User
Originally Posted by tbear853
How so? They can tow enough for the average buyer, the bed is big enough for just about anything (unless you are hauling 8 ft sheets of plywood every day) and the extended cab has plenty of room for a family (those folks who say they HAVE TO HAVE the crew cab have obviously not sat in the backseat or have a family of folks all well over 6 ft tall).

Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by merccougar93
well the 5,000 over stick price is so they can "bring the price down and give you a good deal". To them, we know nothing about the vehicles they have. Sounds like you need to set them right and act like you want it and then tell them no and tell them your going to a different dealer.
if you really want one........go buy a brand new stripped down 5speed Toyota tacoma for 13.5/14k...........then in 6 months or a a year you can sell/trade the coma for what you paid and the price the "raper" will be down to normal........plus never go to the dealer with the idea of meeting a salesman and buying the truck.......do all the work online and the phone and go there to pick it up

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tbear853
It's a neat vehicle, it's a superb factory off roader, it's an attention getter, I love them ...
I agree it might be a fad...........but.....how would you know if they are great trucks..........it takes years of production before you know if a vehicle is great.......

Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by KaiserM715
How so? They can tow enough for the average buyer, the bed is big enough for just about anything (unless you are hauling 8 ft sheets of plywood every day) and the extended cab has plenty of room for a family (those folks who say they HAVE TO HAVE the crew cab have obviously not sat in the backseat or have a family of folks all well over 6 ft tall).
The "average buyer"? So if it suits that buyer it's "a great truck"?

They have a lower load rating, the bed is 5.5 feet long, they have softer springs with more travel to handle high speed dips and stuff, not loads.
It all means that stack of plywood is not only going to have to be shorter due to lower weight carruing rating, but then shorter again because it's center of mass is behind the "trucks" rear axle now due to shorter bed. Most SUVs and our old family station wagons we had in the '50s and '60s can haul as much or more of the stuff that you speak of.

For the same money you pay for a Raptor you can buy trucks that will perform far better as "trucks" than the Raptor and do it cheaper and with greater safety.

A truck's primary mission in life is hauling stuff. A "great truck" should thus be really above the standard when it comes to hauling stuff. This one is a truck, but for it's size and costs, it's limited in the hauling dept. It's better than a great truck when it comes to crossing a desert in a hurry, but to do so it sacrifices some of what imakes it a truck at all.

If you want one, get it. You'll love it. But you aren't buying it because it's a "great truck".

Quick Reply: dealer on drugs?