1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Saving my neighbor from the dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Saving my neighbor from the dealership...

One of my neighbors has a beautiful 2000 PSD 4x4 F350 dually (burgandy over silver) with just over 100k. He doesn't wrench on it himself because he isn't all that confident in his abilities. He takes it to get the oil and filters changed as recommended. Until last week, he has never had any issues except for bad batteries.

Last Saturday, he stopped by my driveway and mentioned he has a fluid leak and he could smell diesel fuel while idling at a stop light with the heater on. Right away I figured fuel drain valve o-rings and suggested that he order some o-rings and I'll install them for him. He didn't want to bother me so he said he had to get his oil changed anyway and he would have it checked out at that same time. Then he mentioned that his SES light came on recently as well and figured it had something to do with the leak.

At that point I grabbed a beer and my laptop and we scanned for codes. It was actually his ABS light and not the SES light and the VSS showed a fault so I recommended that he get a new sensor since they are inexpensive. Again, I offer to do the work if he gets the parts and he said he would get back to me.

So, he calls me up yesterday from the dealership because he took his truck in for the oil change and he asked them to look into that leak. The dealership suggested they perform a multi-point inspection of the whole vehicle and my neighbor agreed. Here is what they said:
  1. Diesel Oil Change with filter---$83.70 (Paid)
  2. Diesel fuel leak at water separator housing---$265.00
  3. Oil Leak at CAC tube, recommend removal, cleaning and reseal--$275.00
  4. Front and Rear differential oil seeping from covers---$285.00

They also said his brake pads were worn out but no quote was given. The sheet said they had to remove the parts to see if any additional parts were needed besides brake pads.

I told him to pay for the oil change and leave. I'll recommend a reputable shop for his brake service but I'll take care of the drain valve, VSS and 'leaking CAC' tubes myself for a 12 pack. He thinks I am some kind of savior and feels bad that I am insisting that I do the work for what he considers to be free of charge. I think he will be shocked when he sees what is really involved. Might as well check the fluid level in the diffs just to be safe.

Maybe I am too critical, but it seems like the dealership was trying to steal from him. The price for oil change seems reasonable when you consider labor but $265 for the drain valve and $275 to clean some oil off the IC tubes?? Sounds like robbery to me. What gets me is the way they word it on the quote sounds like a serious issue. "OIL LEAKING FROM CAC TUBE..." in bold letters no less.

Unbelievable.

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 01-05-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edit diagnostic code info
Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Same here

It is amazing how they try to rob everyone. I have a buddy here with a 99.5, he was the happiest guy in the county when I bought a 7.3 and found this site. He has owned it since 2004, and his quote to me when I bought mine was "Great trucks, but its a 1000 bucks everytime it goes to the shop"

Since then, I have put on DSS, unplugged fuel bowl and inserted 10 cent fuse, fluid swap in tranny, PS flush with syn-"Holy cow, what did you do to my brakes!", filter and fluid changes all the way around, all for under $500..... He hasn't been to a shop since.

Next up for him is turbo pedestal O-rings, hes started puking oil over the holidays.

Being as my wife was so kind to get me a topside creeper for xmas, O rings should be a snap

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Its too bad there aren't more honest mechanics at the dealers, but at least your neighbor has an honest PSD owner he can get help from

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Greg, if your neighbor thinks that he is 'taking advantage' of you, why not show him this web site Forum. Tell him that you want him to 'meet the Family' and that we are all here as Family, one helping and learning from the next.

Glad you were there.

reps to you.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Greg,

My buddy at Berge said that the service department pays for the overhead of the entire dealership. With the prices quoted I believe it.

Good job saving your neighbor from a "bend over".

Tried to rep you but you know how it goes sometimes.

Might show up at your place with a couple of 12 packs and some new front bearings. Gotta love your labor prices.

Edit : Make that a 30 pack.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reps sent as well -- I feel bad for folks that really have no choice in the matter. I can't even imagine the money I've saved right now (I'm sure it would cover all my mods). I've had a couple "real" failures, easily costing several thousand measured in "dealer dollars". I did my own front breaks & rotors (at least a grand there), HPOP fix (probably another grand), water pump replacement + flush & fill with Red ELC, (likely another grand), and I'm about to replace the AC compressor, receiver-dryer, and evac & fill with R134 (probably yet another grand). That's $4k right there in savings.... If you count the bad fuel (second time now, Hutch saved my a$$ both times), fuel filter & oil changes I do myself (pretty much a given, I guess though), it's up there.....

Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine wanted to charge me 449.00 to change out my GPCM and another 628 to fix my intercooler leak. I just tightened the screws and no more leak and changed out the GPCM myself for 149.00 They are a bunch or crooks

Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onelionhunter
Being as my wife was so kind to get me a topside creeper for xmas, O rings should be a snap
How come there's a PUKE icon and not a drool one?

It is great to be able to help others. What comes around, goes around. That's why I joined the RHN. I figure it's a way to give back.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good for you for helping him out. I'm surprised that the dealer didn't try to sell him a set of new injectors and/or an injector clean. That seems to be the status quo when an owner brings his truck in for service.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg -Nice job on helping out - Reps sent -I have saved a bunch reading on this great site also.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F250
How come there's a PUKE icon and not a drool one?

There ya go!

Greg, wait til you start showing him the go-faster mods!

Stewart

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Joe i'd say more like $3000.oo mimiun for the ac fix at the dealer. Is the ps fush with syn replacement really that good. If so I'll have to do that one!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
I think that's a very kind and generous thing to do. Reps to you.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Reps sent as well -- I feel bad for folks that really have no choice in the matter. I can't even imagine the money I've saved right now (I'm sure it would cover all my mods). I've had a couple "real" failures, easily costing several thousand measured in "dealer dollars". I did my own front breaks & rotors (at least a grand there), HPOP fix (probably another grand), water pump replacement + flush & fill with Red ELC, (likely another grand), and I'm about to replace the AC compressor, receiver-dryer, and evac & fill with R134 (probably yet another grand). That's $4k right there in savings.... If you count the bad fuel (second time now, Hutch saved my a$$ both times), fuel filter & oil changes I do myself (pretty much a given, I guess though), it's up there.....
Thanks for the reps Joe. Sorry to read about your recent string of bad luck. Happy 4 year FTE anniversary next month!

Originally Posted by Joe28443
mine wanted to charge me 449.00 to change out my GPCM and another 628 to fix my intercooler leak. I just tightened the screws and no more leak and changed out the GPCM myself for 149.00 They are a bunch or crooks
Holy Cow! $628.00 to fix your CAC tubes! You must have a Lariat. The XLT tubes are only $275.00

Originally Posted by Mike F250

It is great to be able to help others. What comes around, goes around. That's why I joined the RHN. I figure it's a way to give back.
That's for sure. I'd love to join the RHN myself. I've submitted e-mail requests but I don't think they are getting through.

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Good for you for helping him out. I'm surprised that the dealer didn't try to sell him a set of new injectors and/or an injector clean. That seems to be the status quo when an owner brings his truck in for service.
I guess the dealer showed a little mercy this time.
That thread was funny though....never heard about sandblasting injectors before....

Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Greg -Nice job on helping out - Reps sent -I have saved a bunch reading on this great site also.
Thanks for the reps Bill. Someday someone will publish the FTE 7.3 chronicles and it'll become a best seller. Lots of great info here. I know several diesel mechanics that frequent this site when a 7.3 comes into their shop.

Originally Posted by Waynenap
I think that's a very kind and generous thing to do. Reps to you.
Thanks for the reps Wayne!

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Its too bad there aren't more honest mechanics at the dealers, ...
I agree. I know there are a lot of honest mechanics out there but they are becoming more rare. Sign of the Times I guess....

Originally Posted by Brother Les
Greg, if your neighbor thinks that he is 'taking advantage' of you, why not show him this web site Forum. Tell him that you want him to 'meet the Family' and that we are all here as Family, one helping and learning from the next.

Glad you were there.

reps to you.
Thanks or the reps Brother Les.
I've mentioned the forum many times, someday he will get on board. He did enjoy the Mugly Chronicles...that guy is inspirational and amazing.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Greg,

My buddy at Berge said that the service department pays for the overhead of the entire dealership. With the prices quoted I believe it.

Good job saving your neighbor from a "bend over".

Tried to rep you but you know how it goes sometimes.

Might show up at your place with a couple of 12 packs and some new front bearings. Gotta love your labor prices.

Edit : Make that a 30 pack.
Berge Ford is one of the better shops. They treated me right with my battery warranty. It was Robert Horne Ford that my neighbor went to.
Thanks for the rep thoughts....yeah, I know how that goes as well.
Come on down with those front hubs. It's a super easy job. Besides, I need some more cores to build another rotisserie anyway. You'll just have to help me out when it comes time to rebuild my oil cooler.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H

There ya go!

Greg, wait til you start showing him the go-faster mods!

Stewart
He has a go fast mod already. '68 Chevelle big block with 5 speed stick. That sucker is sweeeeet! He lives about 4 houses down and I can hear it start from my living room.

Originally Posted by onelionhunter
It is amazing how they try to rob everyone. I have a buddy here with a 99.5, he was the happiest guy in the county when I bought a 7.3 and found this site. He has owned it since 2004, and his quote to me when I bought mine was "Great trucks, but its a 1000 bucks everytime it goes to the shop"

Since then, I have put on DSS, unplugged fuel bowl and inserted 10 cent fuse, fluid swap in tranny, PS flush with syn-"Holy cow, what did you do to my brakes!", filter and fluid changes all the way around, all for under $500..... He hasn't been to a shop since.

Next up for him is turbo pedestal O-rings, hes started puking oil over the holidays.

A topside creeper would be awesome....all I have is a thick blanket. Reps to you Tom for helping out your neighbor as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Originally Posted by Izzy351

I was thinking these exact thoughts the other day, got to adding it up in my head how much money i have saved by not having to take the truck to a dealer or auto shop. Ive been a member for a while, but didnt post a whole lot while lurking, reading and learning. Its all possible from all the great fellas on this site and their willingness to help other out. I have saved $1000's of dollars by reading this site, which made it all the more easy to make the decision to become a supporter of this site so that it can keep on keeping on. There are too many contributors to list, but thanks to all you gents for doing what you do.

Quick Reply: Saving my neighbor from the dealership...