1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Driver window repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 AM
slong60
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver window repair

My driver window came off the regulator so it won't go up or down. The dealer said that the window has come off and has to be reglued to the regulator or I have to buy a whole new window/reg. Has anyone been able to do this repair there self. Is there a DIY

Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM
alloro
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,425 Posts
I've seen people lay silicone into the regulator where the glass fits in and slide the glass back into it's spot. Then run the window all the way up and leave it there for 24 (warm out) to 72 hours (cold out) to dry.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
jdecker
Senior User
had the same thing happen on my '97 tried about everything, including the silicone, couldn't find anything that would last. After spending about $50 on various silicones and epoxies I took it to the local glass shop and they repaired it (including new clips) for $25.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM
npearman
Junior User
Had the same thing happen on my 99 Expy. I took it to a glass place and they were able to glue the glass back into the regulator track. It has lasted 3 years so far. I think they charged me $75 bucks to do it.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
I just did this job on my own truck, same thing happened, and its a easy fix. The only adhesive I would suggest using is 3M panel bonding adhesive, don't use silicon because it wont dry strong enough. The steps access the window regulator are to remove the door panel and all the connectors carefully. Then carefully remove the insulation backing and if you have to, you can remove the speaker. Once you have all of that removed you should be able to see the window regulator and the clips that hold the bottom of the window. Remove the retainers from the regulator and clean them thoroughly so the 3M can bond to it well. After they are all cleaned but on the panel bonding adhesive and apply it before you put the retainer back into the regulator. You have to do this somewhat fast because the panel bonding adhesive sets up quickly, and if you let it set up, then you might as well buy new clips because those are junk. Once the retainers are re attached to the regulator and snug, don't fully tighten them until the window is in place. Then line the window up in the tracks and put the clips into the window, then carefully roll the window all the way up the hold the clips on. I would let it dry for at least 24 hours and if you can do it in a heated area that would be your best bet, also lube the window tracks with silicon spray to help the window operate. All in all the job took me about 1 hour and 20 min and it worked great.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
mikecox1
Mountain Pass
I did this job last night. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part was raising the window from the bottom of the door (it had fallen completely off its track and fallen to the bottom of the door). This is absolutely a DIY fix. The only tool that you will need that you might not have is a really small torque bit that you will need to remove the screw that is behind the light in the bottom of the door panel.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
slong60
New User
do you have to buy the applicator gun?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
timbrown22
New User
Window Clamps

I just repaired my passenger window problem on my 1999 Ford Expedition. Here's what I learned/did:

1.) The clamps (one to the left and one to the right on the regulator) need to be aligned horizontal on the glass window so that the window glides freely up and down. I found that the clamps are aligned best on mine when positioned to the far right perhaps an inch away. Also, I had to bend (gently but with pressure) the regulator a little toward the outside of the door so that the regulator lined up with the window gliding up/down. I seemed to have had a problem where the clamps would pull away from the window when it was halfway down. I basically pressed the regulator until the clamps would stay positioned on the downward track if that makes sense.

2.) Then, I removed the clamps from the regulator. Make sure you get all of the prior glue out of the clamps. I used a flat head screw driver then a putty knife and finally sandpaper. Then I used a rag to clean it out. Also, I scraped the old glue from the window with a putty knife.

3.) Before you affix the window clamps back on, make sure the clamps fit snugly on the glass. Mine were a little loose so I used a pair of pliers to very gently squeeze the clamp on each side and in the middle. Then I tested them on the top of the glass (instead of reaching inside the door panel). And, I made adjustments until it was a 100% snug fit.

4.) Then, without glue, I placed the clamps back on the regulator and then pushed them into place on the window.

5.) I tested it and it works perfectly. I tested it about 20 times (all the way up/down) with the panel still off and the clamps were 100% secure in place. I suspect I'll have to glue them at a later time but, I have to say that the metal clamps are very snug on the glass. And, since I made sure the regulator was smoothly aligned with the natural glass movement up and down, it works like a charm.

6.) Overall, I think the key thing was making sure the regulator is aligned with the natural flow of the window. I don't recommend doing w/o glue on the clamps but it seems to work perfectly for me. If I do have to later glue it should only take a few minutes so I'm not worried about it.