Been an adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been an adventure

What an adventure.

I'm a boring young man who has lived a boring life, but happily. I grew up in Orange Texas, very close to the border of LA. Growing up I worked a couple jobs, nothing too serious. Carpenter's helper for several years, yard bird at a trucking company, then my "long term" carrier as a Security Guard at the Stark Foundation.

The family and I have dodged all of the Hurricane's save three. The two that hit is the hardest was Hurricane Rita and finally Hurricane Ike. Rita nearly totally destroyed the garage. Pop and I bonded for the first time in our lives rebuilding the garage. I count it as a blessing. A big pain in the back, but a blessing. I'd happily exchange a place to park and work on the vehicles for to have a friend in my father.

Hurricane Ike was the straw that broke the camels back. Having four dogs and a bird Evacuating wasn't easy. So even the hurricanes that didn't actually hurt us still put us out - by a great deal financially and emotionally.

Rita was wind. Ike was Water. A whole other animal.

The garage took three feet of water or more. Nearly everything was ruined. The house took less than two. Everything on the bottom floor was gone. Pictures, my schooling creds, everything.

The parents are from the North. Ohio and West Virginia. They wanted to move back. I wanted a change. Much prayer was sent up and dad started keeping track of where his work was hiring at in the country.
An opening in West Virginia appeared.

Here I am nearly two years later. It has been the strangest two years of my life. I have learned a lot. Hurt a lot. I've grown emotionally and mentally. Sometimes I think The Move was the worst thing to ever happen to me. Sometimes not.
I've done many things here for the first time in my life many young men my age have experienced their whole lives. Four wheeling in the bush with a bunch of friends and a beautiful young lady holding on to me, smiling huge as I gunned the throttle to blow through another mud pit. I experienced my first "love". Then I experienced my first TRUE love. Finally had a major brake down. The desperation of being out of work - and not finding any.

Just a couple things out of many.

West Virginia is beautiful. I call it home now. But I still miss my Texas. My friends. My job.

Coming here has been an eye opener. I've learned to be content wherever I'm at and to be careful what I ask for. But just as bad things has happened to me good things have also. It's been so strange.

I have no idea why I'm writing this, or why I'm posting it here. But I'm stressed and I'm sad and I'm homesick and I just feel like if I don't express myself here, I'm going to explode.

- Bill

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
300 Buster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called"life",Bill,and it's good to talk about it,both the bad and the good.I hope your talking to the "MAN" upstairs about it also.These are tough times and jobs are scarce,but the worst thing you can do is to stress about it.Try to think positive and with an open mind,be thankful that you have loved ones close at hand.You probably miss Texas and your friends there,but you can always call them,and when your able,go see them and Texas again.In the meantime,take in all the beauty of where you are and though it's tough being out of work,you have plenty of time to do it.Enjoy life,it's short enough as it is,and take advantage of having your parents to talk to,I lost both of mine by the time I was 26,I'd give anything just to tell them that I love them.Remember that you are still better off than a lot of people.Keep your chin up Bill.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
What a coincidence...I'm from Jim Wells County in Texas. A lil ole speck called Alice down in oil country between Corpus, Kingsville, and San Antonio. Texas is were all of my family is.

WV is a whole 'nother world! It's got beauty and fresh air and quiet like no where else I've lived...and I've lived a lot of places! TX, SC, CA, NM, OH, DE, NH, ME, Turkey, Japan...and I'm sure I've left one or two places out. Yup, I still miss Texas when I get to head south to visit. When I get there, I wonder why I ever left...till I get home to WV then I realize what I have.

Not having a comfortable and regular job sure puts a crimp in everybody's style! But I learned a long time ago...you gotta go where the job sends ya. Once you get there, you do the best to make it kinda like the home you fondly remember! Somewhere in my garage, there's an empty Lone Star bottle...a wreath made of barbed wire...and other little reminders of where I'm from. When I come across one, it makes me stop, smile, and go back down memory lane. BUT...here is where I live, so this is home. Now, I invite the relatives to come up north and experience the mountains. I take them white water rafting...and horse back riding...and hiking in the mountains...and they leave impressed.

But I still call Texas "home" and always will.

Hang in there Pal...I like what Buster said before me, there are all sorts of folks with bigger problems, and they'd give an arm and a leg to be in your shoes! Be thankful for what you do have, and pray for everything else.

Joe

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Thanks guys, I sure appreciate the kind words, yall are just great. I reckon I wouldn't be hurting so bad if my family was right but I don't mind saying I am going through some really bad family problems. I think that's what really makes it hurt.

Sorry for the sad thread fellas, I just had to WRITE. Either that or blow up something. I'm feeling a whole lot better today, I'm fine.

Welp, on my way for the third or fourth time to bug Weatherford about a job. Eventually these people are going to have to give me one.

Right?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Hey, we understand...we've got a couple of guys who aren't happy with 'family' right now.

Just hang in there Pal...we're here for ya!

Joe

Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by msgtg
Hey, we understand...we've got a couple of guys who aren't happy with 'family' right now.

Just hang in there Pal...we're here for ya!

Joe
Thank you Joe

And nobody missunderstand me; I love WVA. Just to be clear on that

Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM
300 Buster
Senior User
Same here Bill.Things have a way of working out.We are here to listen and offer what ever support we can give.Keep the faith.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 300 Buster
Same here Bill.Things have a way of working out.We are here to listen and offer what ever support we can give.Keep the faith.
Thanks Buster. You know you're a friggin' good guy right?

Hearin' some kind of weird clunking with the truck. I can't tell if it's coming from the diff or not. Guess it's time to brave the cold and go investigate. Coffee: Proof there is a God.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
300 Buster
Senior User
Your welcome Bill,and I try to be a good guy,these days more are needed.You may want to check your u-joints first,hope it's not differential,but there are a lot of things that can clunk.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Well poop. Hey Buster, come give me a hand with this truck. I can't figure this out for nothing. I just installed 2'' lift blocks in the rear Monday and now I'm getting weird clunk-bang noises. I can't really tell where it's coming from but I suspect the differential.

Everything suspension wife looks solid.

Here's one question, is the driveshaft supposed to wiggle when in park? And how far is the truck supposed to move when pushed when in park?

I know my truck and I know she makes noises, but these noises deffinately sound wrong. I'd like to find what's wrong before something goes.

I wonder if it's the universal joint? Is there a way I could find out?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang Bill, sorry you're having a rough patch. I don't have much else to offer but to hope things turn around soon for you.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Nope...the drive shaft should NOT wiggle in Park. You should only be able to rock the truck about an inch or so back and forth when it's in park.

IMO, It's u-joints.

Joe

Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
300 Buster
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Well poop. Hey Buster, come give me a hand with this truck. I can't figure this out for nothing. I just installed 2'' lift blocks in the rear Monday and now I'm getting weird clunk-bang noises. I can't really tell where it's coming from but I suspect the differential.

Everything suspension wife looks solid.

Here's one question, is the driveshaft supposed to wiggle when in park? And how far is the truck supposed to move when pushed when in park?

I know my truck and I know she makes noises, but these noises deffinately sound wrong. I'd like to find what's wrong before something goes.

I wonder if it's the universal joint? Is there a way I could find out?
Hi Bill,sorry for time lapse,but I didn't catch it.I'm thinking you put your blocks between the spring and perch on the axle right? Did you extend the shock mount the same?You could be topping out and hearing the shocks,you would be using up 2" of shock travel.Yes you can rock the truck in park,and the driveshaft will rotate enough standing still to make you wonder.The u-joints are hard to explain,but if you can get any movement in the joint itself (see actual movement of the cup on its post)they need replaced.You have to look at everything that is now 2" farther away from the rear axle.Make sure that those u-bolts are tight and no rocking going on,lot of stress on those when your on the road.Also check your shackles and spring hangers for worn bushing ect.Things are setting a little different now.Hope this helps you out.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
sounds like u-joints for sure the more severe angle on the driveshaft will amplify any ujoint problems you may have had crawl under it and wiggle the drive shaft and watch the u joints they should be tight and not slide back and forth or up and down

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Jason, Joe, Buster, thanks guys. Appreciate the imput. Whack and stack, that is one cute baby girl! I know you're a happy pappy. Great looking rig too btw.

Checked the driveshaft / joints twice. Everything is tight. I'm pulling my hair out. Everything checks out.

I'm going to keep an eye on everything but there's nothing more that I can do besides take the lift blocks back out and I'm not going to do that just yet. I made a thread about my issue. I'm at a loss.

I reckon I'll know if I have a serious problem when something goes.