1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where are all the '53-'55' F100's gone?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gotten quiet again what are people doing?
I'm stuck replacing flooring...in the house not the truck and my hands are cut and sore from these porcelain tiles.
Question though, the guys that are using Mustang gas tanks in the back are you mounting them under or in the frame? Thinking that if one ever needs to remove it, taking the box off could be a pain.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh, lately its been hard to work on the truck, so mutch other stuff to do! working on a custom hood lift, hopefully will work on it this weekend, my tank is mounted underneath the framerails, if your using the big mustang tank you need to cut i believe it was 1/2 an inch off the bottom of the rails each side to fit properly.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
Question though, the guys that are using Mustang gas tanks in the back are you mounting them under or in the frame? Thinking that if one ever needs to remove it, taking the box off could be a pain.
I mounted mine underneath the frame since I really want to avoid cutting the filler tube in both the bed or the fender if possible. I`m not sure but I hopping to have room for it between the bumper and floor.
Here`s a picture of my 56 F350 and my 56 M100 that`s now in my friend`s shop getting final paint and body work. The 56 M100 should finally be back on the road this summer.
The 53 M100 resto rod is sitting on the frame with many loose parts waiting for it`s turn.

Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My 56 F100 got put on hold for the last year and a half. Life stuff. I'm just happy it wasn't damaged when the house burned. Got the last settlement check from the fire and by not replacing my art and collectibles I was able to afford the front end parts so... Here's where mine is at right now:

Going to a Mustang II front end. Air Ride Tech suspension and Wilwood discs all around. Should make some progress soon, I have almost all the parts in to put on the truck. Most of the interior is ready to go in. The stock fuel tank has been cleaned and coated to get rid of rust. I finally got the rims and tires for the rear from back order. My radiator was cracked on the top tank so, $75 later it looks like brand new.

I need to check to see why the stock in dash gauges were disconnected in favor of mechanical ones which are not working now. Oil pressure gauge leaks oil from under the dash. I need to find out if I can adapt the original style sending units to the 289 for the oil gauge and water temp gauge. I think I can, it's probably just a matter of some creative plumbing.

Lots of things going on in the background getting ready to put on the truck with a few niggling little details still running around loose. Hoping to get them reined in soon.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Not sure about the rest of you but I was laid off which put a damper on things then I have been putting more hours into my new job and just have not had time or money to jump back in. Plus I don't have a good place to do winter work yet. Anyone wanna loan me some garage space????

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Hope a '56 will qualify!

Been chipping & wire wheeling away for a while!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Fomoko1
I`m at least partially set up for sandblasting and I`m glad because it`s so much faster and abit more thorough.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
I'm with you!!

Originally Posted by Fomoko1
I`m at least partially set up for sandblasting and I`m glad because it`s so much faster and abit more thorough.
A sandblaster would be nice! I've seen photos of your yard/work area - swweeeett! What a great place to work on your truck!

The wire wheel is working pretty well for me considering my workspace and I only have about $75.00 invested in angle grinder and wire wheels.

I could send it out for a media blast (and I likely will for the cab) but I'm being extra cautious about $$$ because these things are such $$$ pits. --BUT FUN ONES!!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Give American Rockbread credit for having all that enthusiasm and determination to do it with what ever means are available, good on him.
I do agree media blasting is a little more effective and easier.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Fomoko1
I certainly agree *****, I`ve done it by hand many times before getting set up with a compressor and sandblaster.
Sandblasting isn`t really all that cheap but it`s possibly less costly than lots of sandpaper and wire wheels.
I certainly like that it`s a whole lot quicker than doing it by hand.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
gusbratz
Junior User
I have noted this too. I feel like I am in a little black hole for parts for my 58. I see the listings stop at like 56 then start again at 60.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I too am stretching my abilities in the metal working arena. I had never welded on thin sheet metal before. I have several holes in the floor of my cab and my trans cover had a butt load of holes in it from the shifter mount contraption that the PO built. I decided to try it with the trans cover first figuring if I messed up I could get another one from Bob's or CT auto ranch in Texas.

Here's the before:

The little aluminum patch was glued and pop riveted in place over an oblong hole about 3 inches long.

Here's the after:

I still need to finish grinding the larger patches. Filling the drilled holes was not difficult at all. Cutting the pieces for the patches was fairly easy. I read up on it here and practiced what I saw others doing similarly on a larger scale. I can now turn my attention to the floor of my cab and close up some of those holes with a bit more confidence.

Thank you all for your instruction and inspiration.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
I was a little nervous too when I first started to weld with my then new mig but a buddy just told me that "It's only metal, if its to short then add a piece, to long then just cut off a piece, not like wood!" Since then I have become one of the best grinders out here! Enjoy, as I think the metal work is my favorite now and I'm still not very good at it but kinda neat as to what can actually be made with metal.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
I was a little nervous too when I first started to weld with my then new mig but a buddy just told me that "It's only metal, if its to short then add a piece, to long then just cut off a piece, not like wood!" Since then I have become one of the best grinders out here! Enjoy, as I think the metal work is my favorite now and I'm still not very good at it but kinda neat as to what can actually be made with metal.
I bought a little mig because I'm not a very good welder, and a welder friend told me any idiot can learn to use one. He was right, because I am living proof.

I started with the stuff not so visible, floor pans, rockers, etc. Then I moved to cab corners, then finally split the top off the cab and replaced it. Not bad for "any idiot" trying to weld sheet metal.

These pics are from about 17 years ago:

New floor pans and rockers:

Split cab:

Completed cab back from a dip in the hot tub:

I did all the sheet metal work before I had it dipped because I was afraid it would fall apart. The bottom was in pretty sad shape.

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 01-23-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Dskyhook
New User
Sorry mine is a 56 f600 and haven't got started yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are all the '53-'55' F100's gone?