1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 F250 FPR leaking. Need help, Trip planed saturday morning!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 F250 FPR leaking. Need help, Trip planed saturday morning!

Ok so last week I rebuilt the fuel bowl in my 96 F250. I let it idle for a while no leaks so I figured I was good.To night on my way home I notic the fuel gauge was droping to fast. So I looked under the truck when I got home. Fuel was running down the back of the engine. So, It leaking fuel from the bottom of the FPR from the gold plate. Now it has a new o ring. I'm guessing that i didn't install it right or something. So any help would be great! Really need my truck up and running!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably pinched the o ring. Those can be a bear to get in correctly. You'll have to take the FPR off the bowl regardless. I use a c clamp to hold it in place while the snap ring is set. There is also a small o ring where the tube coming up from the fuel bowl slides into the FPR. You can use a little Vaseline to hold the o ring in place. If you ever have to do it again. Seal it all up and pressure test it with compressed air and dip it in a bucket of water.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
It is easy to cut the o-ring that seals the filter plate to the regulator body if not installed properly. The plate needs to compress the o-ring evenly as not to catch the o-ring in the channel that is cut for the c-clip. This is best accomplished by using a c-clamp on the plate and regulator body and gently tighten the c-clamp so the plate does not get 'cocked' to the side, forcing part of the o-ring into the c-clip groove.

At this point you will need to find a replacement o-ring and carefully install it on the filter plate as the one you have is most likely cut and will never seal properly.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Guys! I will be working on that tomorrow!