6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: Have you had any major problems with your 6.0L diesel?
No, I have not had any major problems with my 6.0L diesel.
76.40%
Yes, I have had major problems with my 6.0L diesel.
23.60%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

Old 04-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Haakeyez50
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

Love my truck its great picked up Feb. 11 / 03

2003 Haakeye truck pics

Old 04-30-2003, 06:42 PM
hvytoad
Freshman User
Thumbs down POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

I have a 03 6.0LPSD,6spd, 4X4, lariat, 4dr, lwb. It shuts off at 70 mph on the highway, 4 times over 10 miles, on the way to the dealer after a reprogramming of the PCM for lost power and poor cold weather power, ie, no power full pedal for over ten seconds. I took it back and look on web, found 03B05 and 03B06, faxed it to the dealer, called for an update. After a week I still do not have it back and they are waiting for the Ford Gods to shine on it and majicly fix it. 1843 miles, one month old and declining mileage from 16.4 to 15.7 over 100 miles, at the same run conditions. I am told by the dealer that is normal and that no power is normal since the waste gate is shut longer to warm up quick. Yeah right, and it will majically fix itself as it gets more miles on it, or so they tell me. Hold off at, 25% major problems, per this sites survey, hold off. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:24 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is was the chevy guys are getting from their dealers too, all the new chevy motor hav piston slap problems, the shops are telling them "just drive it it will go away."

Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank the screwups who decided that short piston skirts are a great idea. 5.4 and 6.8 have the slap problem also.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:42 PM
hitecdan
Elder User

[QUOTE}I am told by the dealer that is normal and that no power is normal since the waste gate is shut longer to warm up quick. [/QUOTE]

Your dealer is thinking 7.3L. 6.0L does not have a waste gate. 6.0L has a variable vane turbo making waste gates a thing of the past.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Corey_Reed
New User
Thumbs up POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

I have 2500 miles on my F250 6.0 & we love it. I have been reading allot of "don't do it" but mostly from people who haven't bought one. We pull our camping trailer, horses, & cattle. The truck gives us all we ask from it and asks for more. Coming from an actual owner which I am GO FOR IT!

Old 05-09-2003, 08:49 PM
hvytoad
Freshman User
Thumbs down POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

I bought mine and it didn't even make the 2000 mile mark. The dealer has put 150 miles on it to troubleshoot it. Ford Tech Reps say, " we are having issues with quite a few of these 6.0L, and do not know how to fix it yet." I have had the truck in my driveway for 28 days and in the dealer lot for 17 days now, and will not have it back until month end at best. Ford engineering has looked at it, and others like it, and says, "bare with us, maybe we will have a fix by the end of the month, wait and see." If this is your thing, by all means buy one. Me, I can't afford to pay for a vehicle to sit on a dealers lot, and can't afford the gas in this V10, my current loan, which is a 99 with 80,000 miles. Ford Customer care said, " the dealer went above and beyond by giving you this truck." I said, "really, so you make it a habit of giving your customers tauruses instead of trucks, fine sell me the truck for the price of the taurus and we are good, otherwise, this is the minimum they should do for me. Besides when is the last time you say a taurus pulling another car." Oh yeah, and the only problem Ford has with this engine that might concern you, is it shuts off at highway speeds, and mine being a stick starts in gear, a second later. Try that while pulling something and keep it on the road.

A Guy that was suckered by the adds, not results.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are you talking about when you say a stick. The only available transmission is the torqShift 5 speed automatic.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:43 PM
hvytoad
Freshman User

Stick, 1 low, 4 up, 1 od, six speed manual shift, special ordered.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

Never heard of that, when we ordered our truck they told us that a manual was not available no way no how.
the truck is a F350 4x2 SRW King Ranch CC LB with all of the options.

Old 05-10-2003, 05:07 AM
hvytoad
Freshman User

The Ranch King and Excursions do not have this as and option, that is a special run of truck, RK, and does not come with a stick, that way the cookie cut alot of them and charge a premium price with out eating setup cost for each individual truck. Your dealer did not lie to you, the RK only comes with a torqueshift 5. I asked mine and got the same reply in Feb, 03.

Old 05-10-2003, 05:09 AM
hvytoad
Freshman User

I apologize, it is early and my mind is a little backward, I meant King Ranch.

Old 05-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend

The King Ranch is such an awesome package although I don't know if $13,000 extra for it was worth it or not. The diesel was an instant option for us because most of our trucks that stay on the ranch qualify for nontax diesel also called #1 red dyed diesel. This costs us about $ .95 per gallon versus $1.65 per gallon for the road tax diesel. We wanted a manual transmission for this truck but and when we were told that it was not available we almost crossed the fence to Dodge. We decided to give it a try and we are pretty happy.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:51 PM
sems7874
New User

The 6.0 early and late have there problems. I first purchased a 7.3 2 wheel drive this march. I went with the 7.3 due to its dependability and track record. We had a lot of problems with the truck its self. The first 80 miles we had a rear end put in it due to gear noise and bad shutter on take off. went round with the dealer after the new rear was worse than the old. After lawyers and news personnel got involved the dealer finally decided to replace the truck before I lemond it. they could not find a truck like ours so we went with a 4 wheel drive 6.0. I got to tell ya when we took the thing for a test drive I could not believe the upgrade in technology. The old O/D button replaced with a hauling button. The power was so much more available with the 6.0 also. We haul a 35 foot enclosed trailer long distance and with the new hauling button and package, wow. There is no comparison, the 6.0 is far more superior. Now that I got all the praise out of the way here are some of the draw backs. At 400 miles we had a power issue. When taking off from a stop the truck would make it to the center of the intersection and then loose power and puke black smoke. We took it in to the dealer and they did all the injection updates and said try that. It ran good for a day or two and then did the same thing. Back to the dealer we go. The tech got all the info he wanted and then went to work. Called me that night and said come pick it up. They replace the E.G.R valve. When we fired it up in the dealer parking lot it ran like crap and blew back smoke for about 30 seconds. It still needs to go back but the no power issue has been cured for the moment. I think they got the fix OK with the valve but the valve is staying open when the truck is shut down and does not close till the truck is started and stableized. then it stops running rough and clears up. Even with the problems we are having the drivetrain is still more bang for your buck. I knew when I bought the truck there would be problems but the proof was in the test drive. The truck is worth the hassles.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:13 PM
3rivers
New User
Smile POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?

I ordered my F250 cc on April 2. It arrived on May 4 and was exactly as ordered. I took a chance on the 6.0 because I expect contemporary technology and manufacturing to deliver what they promise notwithstanding labor or production problems. I put the truck to work hauling our 27' travel trailer (about 1000 mi. so far) and cannot say enough good things about this engine and transmission (5 spd auto)combination. The mileage is surprisingly good (15.5 on our last outing) and there is a secure feeling to the whole rig. I have one question. I was told that this is an iron motor, block and heads but, the head material sure looks like cast aluminum to me. I understand that brand "C" had some issues with this combination. Anyone care to comment?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POLL: How many people are happy with 6.0L?