1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

cps or no??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cps or no??

Hey guys - truck started acting weird - sputtering like she was running out of fuel or something, so I thought there was water in the line, so I switched tanks - same problem. Put a tiny amount of methal hydrate in the tank. Next day, problem was gone, so I thought that was it. But, later it started again. She would run fine for a while, then the idle would jump up, CEL would come on, and she sounded like I just installed a racing cam (and she was faster too!). When I tried to hook up a friends scanner, she would stall, with no codes showing. After searching the various posts, I came up with cps problem. Bought one today at Ford (F4TZ-12K073-C) and installed it. She ran great at first, but then same problem. Anybody have any ideas??

Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmmm I don't think it is a CPS (save the old one in your glove box, you will need it one day). It only does it at start up? If your CEL came on then it should have a code stored. It will idle up? or Idle down?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
hmmmm I don't think it is a CPS (save the old one in your glove box, you will need it one day). It only does it at start up? If your CEL came on then it should have a code stored. It will idle up? or Idle down?
Hey Copedawg - only does it at start-up? That's a good question. I guess the answer would be yes, but that's because I've never tried to drive it when it was doing this, so.... I can try and see if the mechanic down the street can read any codes (I try and avoid him because he charges me $30 each time!). What happens is that it starts normal, and then within a short time (say 5 minutes) it will start to idle rough, the CEL will come on, and the rpm jumps from 500 to 800. If I press on the throttle, she jumps ahead (like you would expect a gas car to do with a racing cam). So you don't think it's the CPS? Maybe I got a bad one??

Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
30 bux! YIKES! I still don't think it is the CPS. Can you take it to Advanced or AutoZone? I think they will do it for free. I have not heard of these symptoms. Maybe when the "Happy Hour Crew" arrives they will give you some ideas. I just can't think of anything at the moment

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
How old is your oil?
Un-plug the ICP and start it....

Wonder if the IPR is sticking?

Also, being a 95 as I found out before I bought the AE scanner...Auto Zone / Oriely's scanners won't recognize the truck PCM.

Also read somewhere here that a CPS might or might not throw a CPS code...My recent CPS DID throw a code, but it would not start at all...

Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like what mine did when i found out it was the IPR changed it ran better than it had since i got it

Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mq1shooter
How old is your oil?
Un-plug the ICP and start it....

Wonder if the IPR is sticking?

Also, being a 95 as I found out before I bought the AE scanner...Auto Zone / Oriely's scanners won't recognize the truck PCM.

Also read somewhere here that a CPS might or might not throw a CPS code...My recent CPS DID throw a code, but it would not start at all...
AutoZone scanners won't read ANY PSD.

Since its throwing a code, the best line of attack is to figure out what the code is and go from there. For grins try unplugging the ICP sensor (front of the driver's side head) and see if it makes any difference.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idm, i would start there it only takes a few min and i bet when you shake it its got water in it!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
AutoZone scanners won't read ANY PSD.

Since its throwing a code, the best line of attack is to figure out what the code is and go from there. For grins try unplugging the ICP sensor (front of the driver's side head) and see if it makes any difference.
Hey everyone - thanks for all the thoughts. I can't go to Autozone or anyone like that because I'm in Canada, on a very small island, and there is no one like that around. My resources are limited. I should have also let you know that I just recently replaced both the ICP and IPR (within the last 2 months), and the oil was changed recently (I even changed the oil in the HPOP). Fuel filter is also pretty new (although I'll check that out tomorrow).

Should also mention that I just replaced both UVCH's and all glow plugs (although this problem started before I did any of that). For what it's worth...

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael250
Hey everyone - thanks for all the thoughts. I can't go to Autozone or anyone like that because I'm in Canada, on a very small island, and there is no one like that around. My resources are limited. I should have also let you know that I just recently replaced both the ICP and IPR (within the last 2 months), and the oil was changed recently (I even changed the oil in the HPOP). Fuel filter is also pretty new (although I'll check that out tomorrow).
dude i did the same, i bet its the idm , drivers side iner fender, you need and 8 mm and a 10mm you can have it off in 5 min and i bet its got water in it!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Originally Posted by jg96powerstroker
dude i did the same, i bet its the idm , drivers side iner fender, you need and 8 mm and a 10mm you can have it off in 5 min and i bet its got water in it!
Ok, ok...I'll check it. So if it has water in it, I'll hear it when I shake it?? I'll give that a try this am. Actually, it is possible because we just had a storm here - 80mph winds and 2" of rain, and I have to park the truck outside... We'll see what happens when I take it off. Thanks for the suggestion! Michael.
PS - nice truck, BTW

Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Ok, so this morning I checked the oil level. It's right on the full line, and still fairly clean looking (I'm running Rotella 10W30). Unplugged the ICP and started her up. She started normal, with CEL on, then after idling for 10 minutes she started again with the rough, high idle. I plugged the ICP back in, with no difference. I let her run for quite a while, then took her for a short spin. Again, no difference (although I still find it weird that she responds faster). Couldn't get the code checked, and the wife had plans for putting up Christmas lights, so I didn't get any further. I'll look at the fuel bowl tomorrow, and try to remove the IDM to see if it has water in it. Failing that, I'll try to get the mechanic to check any codes on Monday. Hate being without my truck....

Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
I am tracking with ya...
With all that you've changed out ......A scan and what data that he can grab for you would be the best to start narrowing this problem down at this point....

Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Michael250
Junior User
Originally Posted by mq1shooter
I am tracking with ya...
With all that you've changed out ......A scan and what data that he can grab for you would be the best to start narrowing this problem down at this point....
Hey thanks - Black Betty's owner suggested the IDM - that there may be water in it, so I'm leaning that way....but I'll bite the bullet, pay the mechanic his $30.00, and get the codes scanned on Monday. I'll post the results. Thanks again! Michael.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Michael250
Junior User
Well, went to the mechanic this am. He can't get to read the codes until tomorrow. Here's the latest - she starts normal, and runs normal for the first 10 minutes or so. Then the CEL comes on and she runs real rough, rpm's increased, and is quite a bit faster when driven. Then, when she gets really warm (say, after driving for 15 minutes), she runs normal again. If I shut her off and re-start, she runs normal and the CEL is off. I wanted to remove the IDM and check for water, but we have a nor'easter coming and I don't have a garage, so that won't happen. Have to wait to read the codes tomorrow. Until then...

Quick Reply: cps or no??