5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

5 Stars New 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Chug
Wow, that truck is fast! The first 0-60 run I saw posted was right around 6 seconds, maybe 5.9. When I timed your latest 0-60 run, it was in the 5.1 second range. That is impressive!
Thanks Chug

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM
msalyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything new on the imrovements for tow/haul ?? Looks like you're doing some awesome work on an awesome truck with an awesome engine.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust improvements?

Hey Mike- As I posted in another thread about aftermarket exhaust, I had measured the stock system diameters from headpipe on back. What I got was about 2.5" headpipe dia.(NOT sure about that; couldn't see the tape that good!) into 3" pipe to muffler into 3" tailpipe.
I guess my question is, do you see where there could be any improvement besides the muffler itself? Or, in other words, is a 3" pipe big enough to easily flow 360HP worth of exhaust?
Your opinion is valued, Mike! Get back when you can.
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Hey Guys
I do see the restrictive point in the exhaust system have not tested anything just yet we are still running stock. 3 inch in my opinion is plenty

Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by msalyer
Anything new on the imrovements for tow/haul ?? Looks like you're doing some awesome work on an awesome truck with an awesome engine.
Funny you should mention we have been working with the premium gas for those that want a little more out of the truck. Also been working the calibrations with some other trailers of ours towing.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Hey Mike- Just so I(and I'm sure others) can understand better, will the truck be able to use 87 octane gas with the 93 tune, or are you "forced" to use 93 octane so it won't ping under load? OR, will the engine just retard the spark to "ease" the ping? Not sure I asked this right, but I hope you get my meaning.
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
Hey Mike- Just so I(and I'm sure others) can understand better, will the truck be able to use 87 octane gas with the 93 tune, or are you "forced" to use 93 octane so it won't ping under load? OR, will the engine just retard the spark to "ease" the ping? Not sure I asked this right, but I hope you get my meaning.
Thanks!
Hi Gary
Its not suggested running 87 octane gas with a calibration thats for 91 or 93 octane. All of our X3 devices come with 3 tuned calibrations so it gives people options to vary the octane fuel they chose to use.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Hi Gary
Its not suggested running 87 octane gas with a calibration thats for 91 or 93 octane. All of our X3 devices come with 3 tuned calibrations so it gives people options to vary the octane fuel they chose to use.
OK, that makes sense. Options (or choices) are always good!
Thanks for clarifying this!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Forgot to post this one. Also want to mention again our 87 tuned calibration does not have any additional timing; we use the factory tables.. so its completely safe for just cheapo 87 gas.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
PerryO
Freshman User
Tunes

I just downloaded the 93 Octane tune from 5 Star on my tuner and I am going to fill up my truck a couple of times with the GOOD gas before I load the tune.

With the miles I put on my truck (almost 4000 in 3 weeks) I should be able to report back the gains by the middle of the week!

Talk to ya'll later,

Perry

Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User

3 inch in my opinion is plenty
Great! What that says is I don't need to buy a system, unless I want dual tailpipes. Just a muffler. Who would have heard of an OEM 3" exhaust for a 5.0L engine before now? I haven't!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Great! What that says is I don't need to buy a system, unless I want dual tailpipes. Just a muffler. Who would have heard of an OEM 3" exhaust for a 5.0L engine before now? I haven't!
Hi Gary
I was going to ask last time but forgot, Are you going to order a 5.0L truck or have one on order or just thinking about it?

Mike

Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Hi Gary
I was going to ask last time but forgot, Are you going to order a 5.0L truck or have one on order or just thinking about it?

Mike
Thinking VERY seriously about it. I guess you could say I'm going to, but probably not for another month or two, due to conditions in the dairy industry right now. But I want one in the WORST WAY! Plus I always plan my moves well in advance. It's always worked well for me.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM
PerryO
Freshman User
??

Thinking VERY seriously about it. I guess you could say I'm going to, but probably not for another month or two, due to conditions in the dairy industry right now. But I want one in the WORST WAY! Plus I always plan my moves well in advance. It's always worked well for me.
Just curious if you are a dairy farmer and if so where? I am also in the dairy industry but as a dairy service company owner!!

Talk to you later,

Perry

Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Originally Posted by PerryO
Just curious if you are a dairy farmer and if so where? I am also in the dairy industry but as a dairy service company owner!!
Talk to you later,
Perry
Cool! We have a dairy in the Central Valley in California, about 40mi. south of Fresno, and though milk prices are on a slow rise, it seems feed prices are keeping pace. Anyway, enough sour grapes! I told myself I would not buy a new truck until things turn around more. I collect a paycheck, and so could do it, but that would not be too cool when money is tighter for the rest of the family. I'm a patient man, I can wait a bit.

Quick Reply: 5 Stars New 5.0L