6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best Coolant Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
mmenzies
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Coolant Filter

Who makes the best Coolant filter.

From the discussions in my EGR replacement vs Delete thread and who makes the best EGR Delete kit thread, it is apparent that the coolant filter is an integral part of the repair along with the oil cooler.

Can I have your opinions on who maikes the best Coolant filter

Mark

Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Who makes the best coolant filter? Well I would go with Wix or Napa and the 4019 kit. Now who makes the best looking that would be dieselsite. The 4019 filters are part number 4070 and you can get them anywhere and only cost about 10.00 the kit is 30.00 from fleetfilter. Your money you decide!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
_Me2_
Elder User
I vote for the dfuser, and dieselstorm.com has them on sale right now, or at least did a few days ago. I went with that one and put it on a month or so ago. So far, so good.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
amadas350
Senior User
Originally Posted by _Me2_
I vote for the dfuser, and dieselstorm.com has them on sale right now, or at least did a few days ago. I went with that one and put it on a month or so ago. So far, so good.
i would agree, looks to be a better deal than the deiselsite. for $10 more the dfuser comes with the ball valves and 3 filters.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM
mmenzies
Mountain Pass
How effective are the filters. I see the pictures with all the goop in the dirty filters, but the filters are only a "side line" in the coolant loop and onluy a 3/8" side line at that, so I surmise only a small percentage of the cooling fluid flows thru the filter.

Mark

Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very effective ---- it is a bypass filter ---- but enough coolant gets past the filter to trap the sediments... and over enough cycles, it does the job.

Bonus: if the filter clogs up, it builds enough pressure so it is "bypassed" and do not harm the engine from blocking coolant flow.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the dfuser and like it. I think the dieselsite is really very similar. If you have aftermarket boost tubes, you will likely need the short version of the filter. I almost could not get the standard filter on, so I called dfuser and they sent me the short filters instead. Folks at Dfuser were very nice and helpful.

I decided on the dfuser really because the dieselsite folks were on vacation this summer when I was buying. I think you'll be very happy either way.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Napa version of the short filter is part #4069. It is 1 inch shorter than the standard and is non-charged which is what the 6.0 needs. The Napa standard length filter is part #4070.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mmenzies
How effective are the filters. I see the pictures with all the goop in the dirty filters, but the filters are only a "side line" in the coolant loop and onluy a 3/8" side line at that, so I surmise only a small percentage of the cooling fluid flows thru the filter.
Mark

I am on my third filter. I installed the Dieselsite Coolant filter. The first one I changed at the recommended 300 miles. About a table spoon of sand like stuff came out.

Then the second one I took off around 3000 miles later. It had about the same amount of stuff in it. That is when I flushed the coolant. Put on a new filter then.

Today I popped the hood to look around. Felt the hose and filter. They were cold. So the filter is now plugged.

I will be changing it in the morning. Can't wait to see what is in there. I did use the VC-9 during the flush. I'm not sure when it actually plugged. I'm just wondering if the vc-9 dislodged some stuff that now has made it to the filter.

Oh, on the way home tonight, my ECT was 190 and my EOT was 194.

I'm still a happy camper!

( I'll report in a new thread my findings in the filter tomorrow)

Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had a dieselsite.com coolant filter for several years (since 60,000 miles and now have 185,000 miles)... and think that this is the best mod money can buy for our trucks!!!!

Owners should buy and install this mod before anything else... and pictures are worth a 1,000 words on what it filters out. If you're one of the lucky few that don't get much out when they cut open a filter... then just rest assured that your protecting your motor and the piece of mind that gives you.

By the way, the photos that are posted on the dieselsite.com website (in the 6.0L section) are the photos and write-ups I sent them after installing my system. I was so impressed (they did not have actual 6.0L photos on their site until I sent them mine)... that I knew that actual user pictures would really help tell the story.

Even if one makes their own system or buys a "ready made kit"... it is the best mod going for long-term protection of your motor. I also flush my cooling system every 50,000 miles (1/2 of what the manual states) and only use distilled water and Ford Premium Gold Coolant. I never check my nitrates and figure between flushing at 1/2 the recommended interval, using only distilled water and installing a coolant filter... I should hopefully NEVER have a cooling system problem, water pump failure or clogged EGR cooler (or so I hope).

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I have had a dieselsite.com coolant filter for several years (since 60,000 miles and now have 185,000 miles)... and think that this is the best mod money can buy for our trucks!!!!

Owners should buy and install this mod before anything else... and pictures are worth a 1,000 words on what it filters out. If you're one of the lucky few that don't get much out when they cut open a filter... then just rest assured that your protecting your motor and the piece of mind that gives you.

By the way, the photos that are posted on the dieselsite.com website (in the 6.0L section) are the photos and write-ups I sent them after installing my system. I was so impressed (they did not have actual 6.0L photos on their site until I sent them mine)... that I knew that actual user pictures would really help tell the story.

Even if one makes their own system or buys a "ready made kit"... it is the best mod going for long-term protection of your motor. I also flush my cooling system every 50,000 miles (1/2 of what the manual states) and only use distilled water and Ford Premium Gold Coolant. I never check my nitrates and figure between flushing at 1/2 the recommended interval, using only distilled water and installing a coolant filter... I should hopefully NEVER have a cooling system problem, water pump failure or clogged EGR cooler (or so I hope).

Slightly off topic, but why havent you went ELC? Seems it might have some positives.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic
Slightly off topic, but why havent you went ELC? Seems it might have some positives.
Some of us are still under an ESP warranty, I am, and Ford does not recognize the elc at this point. Also the elc seems to be better but the jury is still out for its use in the 6.0.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic
Ford Premimum Gold works just fine and changing/flushing it every 50,000 miles (costs me $45.00 in coolant and $16.00 in distilled water) is exceptable to me.

If it's good enough for Ford and Int'l... it's good enough for me... it's a good coolant and it works. The key to motor longevity is not extended life fluids (ELC) but frequent changes of the fluids.... and the filtering of the fluids. Just because the manufacture of ELC fluids makes a marketing statement does not make it so, truthful, accurate or acceptable for our motors (just my opinion and take on it all).... so why spend the extra money and risk it?

On a different topic... for extra longevity... heck, who knows, I may add a Magnafine in-line P/S fluid filter to my window washer fluid to ensure the cleanest possible fluid (just joking... but may... so I can be the first to do it at FTE)

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
I am getting ready to install the coolant filter and will probably just stay with the Ford Gold. Like you said, a short change interval will be better in any event.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
JBSIXGUNS
Senior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
I am on my third filter. I installed the Dieselsite Coolant filter. The first one I changed at the recommended 300 miles. About a table spoon of sand like stuff came out.

Then the second one I took off around 3000 miles later. It had about the same amount of stuff in it. That is when I flushed the coolant. Put on a new filter then.

Today I popped the hood to look around. Felt the hose and filter. They were cold. So the filter is now plugged.

I will be changing it in the morning. Can't wait to see what is in there. I did use the VC-9 during the flush. I'm not sure when it actually plugged. I'm just wondering if the vc-9 dislodged some stuff that now has made it to the filter.

Oh, on the way home tonight, my ECT was 190 and my EOT was 194.

I'm still a happy camper!

( I'll report in a new thread my findings in the filter tomorrow)
I would really like to know what you find in that filter after the flush

Quick Reply: Best Coolant Filter