General Automotive Discussion

Will There Be a New F100?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Mudd460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the lightning bolt hood emblem, so I'm going to guess 6cyl. I love those trucks, I had a 66 short bed with a 352 auto. Stupid me I sold it when I was dating my last ex-girlfriend!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
JGoodish
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I was reading an article some time ago where GM was contemplating the Colorado / Canyon twins for the same reasons that Ford is killing the Ranger. Initial cost and MPG's are way too close to a half ton strippy while it's capabilities fall a little short.

This will either rev up F-150 sales or it will hurt Ford in the long run.
I don't see how it won't hurt them. Ranger sales were still relatively strong, even with a dated design. There are plenty of folks, myself included, who would own a F-150 in an instant except for one problem: size. The F-150 won't fit into my heated garage, and would be a struggle to drive around in many of the urban locations where I travel for work.

I'm not sure how the Ranger was priced, but both Nissan and Toyota have mid-size trucks which are priced SIGNIFICANTLY below the price of a comparably-equipped F-150. The sticker on a "middle of the road" Nissan Frontier is around $28k, around $10k less than a comparably equipped F-150 XLT. If anything, the exit of the domestic automakers from the compact/mid-size pickup segment will be a boost to the Japanese automakers.

Ultimately, Ford is betting that a majority of Ranger buyers, who continued to purchase a truck with a decades-old design in the face of stiff competition, will remain loyal to Ford after the Ranger's demise. To what degree that becomes true remains to be seen.

JKG

Old 12-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,158 Likes on 1,689 Posts
I guess the Mazda B2300 will end too because it is based on the Ranger platform

Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by JGoodish
I don't see how it won't hurt them. Ranger sales were still relatively strong, even with a dated design. There are plenty of folks, myself included, who would own a F-150 in an instant except for one problem: size. The F-150 won't fit into my heated garage, and would be a struggle to drive around in many of the urban locations where I travel for work.

I'm not sure how the Ranger was priced, but both Nissan and Toyota have mid-size trucks which are priced SIGNIFICANTLY below the price of a comparably-equipped F-150. The sticker on a "middle of the road" Nissan Frontier is around $28k, around $10k less than a comparably equipped F-150 XLT. If anything, the exit of the domestic automakers from the compact/mid-size pickup segment will be a boost to the Japanese automakers.

Ultimately, Ford is betting that a majority of Ranger buyers, who continued to purchase a truck with a decades-old design in the face of stiff competition, will remain loyal to Ford after the Ranger's demise. To what degree that becomes true remains to be seen.

JKG
If were going to talk Japanese imports, the Suzuki Equator is the way to go. The Equator is 100% Nissan Frontier but with a 100K mile warranty and a slightly lower price then the Frontier.

If I were looking at a mid sized truck, I'd pick up a Taco in a minute. I think Ford needs to belly up to the bar and reintroduce themselves as a major player in the smaller truck segment. Fuel will never get cheaper, parking stalls will never get bigger and it looks like the F-150 will never go on a diet.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Tim, well written, I think Ford need's a small truck

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM
JGoodish
Freshman User
If were going to talk Japanese imports, the Suzuki Equator is the way to go. The Equator is 100% Nissan Frontier but with a 100K mile warranty and a slightly lower price then the Frontier.
That is true, except that Suzuki dealers are harder to find, and Nissan dealers will not do warranty repairs on the Equator.

If I were looking at a mid sized truck, I'd pick up a Taco in a minute. I think Ford needs to belly up to the bar and reintroduce themselves as a major player in the smaller truck segment. Fuel will never get cheaper, parking stalls will never get bigger and it looks like the F-150 will never go on a diet.
If you're looking for a truck that is built like a F-150 but smaller, you're pretty much going to be left with the Frontier/Equator. The Tacoma sports a weak frame, plastic bed, weak rear suspension, and weak tailgate, along with a $2k-$3k premium over the Frontier (and more over the Equator). The interior sure is nice, but other than that, I'm really not sure where the value is there.

I am hoping (and perhaps expecting) Ford to re-enter the compact/mid-size market in the future, though not sure whether it will be with the T6 or something else. I would be surprised if the death of the Ranger is anything other than a brief hiatus from the segment.

JKG

Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
JKG wrote I am hoping (and perhaps expecting) Ford to re-enter the compact/mid-size market in the future, though not sure whether it will be with the T6 or something else. I would be surprised if the death of the Ranger is anything other than a brief hiatus from the segment.
JKG

that's what I was thinking

Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

JKG
I agree, I like the size of the current Ranger. To get to 28k in a Ranger you have to take all options.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Chug
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mudd460
Looks like the lightning bolt hood emblem, so I'm going to guess 6cyl. I love those trucks, I had a 66 short bed with a 352 auto. Stupid me I sold it when I was dating my last ex-girlfriend!
I was just about to bust your chops for not opening the link to the photobucket album which has a nice engine bay show which clearly shows that a V8 was lurking in there. However, there is also a big caption below the photos which says "351W HO" so jokes on me. Can I blame that oversight on my 103 degree fever I had this morning? Haha.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
That is true, except that Suzuki dealers are harder to find, and Nissan dealers will not do warranty repairs on the Equator.

JKG
Agreed sir and that is why I did not by the little Suzuki car when I was shopping for my daughter. Had their dealer network been stronger, I would have picked one up in a minute.

Too many fleets are using compact trucks, I can't see Ford staying away too long.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Turbodogg
Junior User
Just make your garage bigger!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ed G
^^ Thanks for that info!

I will give the Sport Trac a look.

As far as towing capacity, if it doesn't state on paper that it's around 7000 lbs, I'm of the midset (probably a wrong mindset) that I'm not gonna be happy.

I know one guy who keeps telling me that although the Honda Ridgeline states that it's max towing capacity is 5000 lbs, it will tow as well as a V8 F150.

One thing I love about the newer F150 is it can be considered "best bang for the buck".

Hell, if I had a ton of money to burn on a small tow vehicle, I'd be driving around in a V8 Volkswagen Toureg.

Note for Expedition, Navigator, Explorer, Mountaineer and Sport Trac Charts:
Trailer tongue load weight should be 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload
(reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and
cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo
cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle
Safety Compliance Certification Label.
[***************][***************][***************]
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.) –
Automatic Transmission
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Axle GCWR 4x2 4x4/AWD
Engine Ratio (Lbs.) Class III/IV Class III/IV
4.0L SOHC V6
3.73 10,000 5,250 5,080

4.6L SOHC V8
3.55 12,000 7,160 6,990

SPORT TRAC

Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Joe Rotax
New User
...I would be surprised if the death of the Ranger is anything other than a brief hiatus from the segment. JKG
Perhaps, but if so then it doesn't make sense to get rid of the Ranger because it seems to sell OK and they're already tooled up for production so you would expect them to keep it going rather than have customers drift off to other brands while Ford is planning its next move in the small truck market.

Rangers are not be the most modern vehicle but that's their strength and the more of them rolling around the better if you want to keep people thinking about buying a compact Ford truck either now or when some other version comes out.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
The yearly sales totals for the Ranger have fallen sharply in the last 6 years or so. Notice that 1 plant can now meet the sales demands where it used to take 2. The Edison New Jersey plant was shut down a few years ago so the Minneapolis plant is the only plant left producing the Ranger.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think all Ford needs to do is update the Ranger with a stiff modern chassis and give it oh say a 2.0L Ecoboost and the Mustang 3.7L V6 coupled with 6-speed auto AND manual trannys. I also personally feel the Ranger shouldn't grow anymore. Its the last true compact truck left in the market. To me Midsize trucks are pointless. They are 9/10th's the size of a 1/2ton, use the same amount of fuel as a 1/2 ton and offer only about 1/2 the capability. All the while having these inflated price's.

A true compact truck ''Even fully optioned'' should not cost more than 30K. And by todays standerds should be able to easily achive late 20's to mid 30's MPG ''Even with the V6 option''. I think the main reason the Ranger is not selling so good right now is simply because of its dated design. Its been largly neglected for the past 15 years. Only getting minor facelifts and a slight power boost in 2001. Imagine a 305hp 27mpg 6-speed auto/manual Ranger with updated sheetmetal and a torsionally stiffer chassis. Or even better, If and I know this is far fetched, But imagine if Ford could somehow get their 3.0L diesel engine's they use in Europe into an updated American Ranger, I do beleive those updates would boost Ranger sales quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Will There Be a New F100?