Cam phaser lockouts/ limiters.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Cap'nCrunch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam phaser lockouts/ limiters.

My 05 5.4 cam phasers are starting to tick and I dont want them to get really bad. Detroit speed shop( Livernois ) makes a cam phaser limiter kit and also a lockout kit.
If I get the lockout kit I have the option to either have the cams fully advanced or retarded. I dont know too much about cam timing, but what would you do? Fully advanced or retarded. Im doing Granatelli hot street coils on my truck as well. Mods are cat back and intake, and Im assuming Ill have to get it tuned after I do cam phaser limiters as well.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
I don't know anything about your lockout kit but your wasting your money on them coils!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
guitar maestro
Freshman User
Fully advanced: engine will make the most low-end torque due to early closing of the intake valve

Fully retarded: slightly more mpg's (maybe a couple) while doing constant-speed hwy typ cruising, but low-end will suffer during city stop-n-go driving

I'd say fully advanced if you have to choose one or the other.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
I don't know anything about your lockout kit but your wasting your money on them coils!
I've read this kind of crap here a few times---based almost on no knowledge at all it seems. I've heard--take it for what its worth---the stock COP's are good for about 7-14 thousand volts whereas aftermarket tend to run 25K to 45k volts depending which model you choose.

Stock COP's as a set from Ford would run you about $480 at the cheapest from Ed The Parts Guy here in FTE. I bought the Granatelli standard set for $203 complete! Even if they're no better that's still a significant savings so worth considering if even for that alone.

Thruthfully there are many many things I've seen advocated here I feel are overkill and perhaps nothing more than snake oil---to each their own I say!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JWA
I've read this kind of crap here a few times---based almost on no knowledge at all it seems. I've heard--take it for what its worth---the stock COP's are good for about 7-14 thousand volts whereas aftermarket tend to run 25K to 45k volts depending which model you choose.

Stock COP's as a set from Ford would run you about $480 at the cheapest from Ed The Parts Guy here in FTE. I bought the Granatelli standard set for $203 complete! Even if they're no better that's still a significant savings so worth considering if even for that alone.

Thruthfully there are many many things I've seen advocated here I feel are overkill and perhaps nothing more than snake oil---to each their own I say!
He has an 05 and he talked like the COPs are an upgrade. There NOT. No hp,torque or MPG increase will be seen with them!
If his COPs are bad, sure you can replace them with the cheaper ones. But they wont last as long as Morecraft COPs. So ,where is the savings if you have to buy 2 sets?
You can get the stock ones on rock-auto for cheaper then the 480 you quoted.
Yes they are expensive, but if I can make 800HP with stock COPs, what would I need 25 to 40K volts for.

"to each their own I say"
I agree totally!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
He has an 05 and he talked like the COPs are an upgrade. There NOT. No hp,torque or MPG increase will be seen with them!
If his COPs are bad, sure you can replace them with the cheaper ones. But they wont last as long as Morecraft COPs. So ,where is the savings if you have to buy 2 sets?
You can get the stock ones on rock-auto for cheaper then the 480 you quoted.
Yes they are expensive, but if I can make 800HP with stock COPs, what would I need 25 to 40K volts for.

"to each their own I say"
I agree totally!
Well if we're just arguing for the sake of arguing over nothing we can also say ANYTHING we do differently from completely stock configurations is equally NOT an upgrade right? I mean if we're creating 800 horsepower isn't that also a bit of a foolish endeavor?

I really didn't see where he even hinted the Granatelli COP's were in and of themselves an upgrade however along with his other NON-STOCK modifications he might be thinking bona fide increased voltage to the plugs would result in a better "package" of those modifications? To a point more and reliable voltage to the plugs is highly beneficial which is the thought behind aftermarket COP's I'm sure. It makes sense to me modifying the intake system or components and catalytic converters would benefit from an increase in available voltage.

Granatelli's are indeed "cheaper" but only in cost---I'm running them myself and have not seen any drop off in performance or MPG. Looking at Ed The Parts Guy's site who advertises here on FTE my quoted $480 for a set of 8 COP's (NOT including boots) is accurate.

Regardless what anyone does there will always be someone else saying its unnecessay, that they wouldn't do it for a variety of reaons, that nothing but stock factory parts are the only way to go. Sure, that's one approach but factory parts are always a compromise of sorts that don't suit every application. Whoever is making 800 horsepower is NOT doing it with completely stock parts---if they were NASCAR, NHRA and every other known professional racing operation wouldn't need to spend the crazy money they do on development and testing for just a touch more power than the competition. We could all just pop in the local Ford store and give Jack Roush something to sweat about huh?

So lets talk about politics and religion next---another great topic for fun conversations!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
I don't want to argue with ya. I agreed with you."To each his own"

I wasn't saying your quote was wrong, I was saying you can get them cheaper then 480.
MOTORCRAFT Part # DG511 {#3L3Z12029BA}=$45.89 A piece. And that's with a new boot!

Politics and religion? No thank you.
I'm a member on another Ford site that actually has a Political thread. I try to stay outta that.

Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Wow that is a grrrrrrrreat price on the OEM COP's! Cheapest I've seen so far was about $60 each---shipping extra. My Local Ford dealer quoted me $80 each list, minor discount which is still above you costs--thanks for passing that info along!!

Maybe good or bad but I kept my OEM COP's from the Grantelli swap so I'm good for now!

Happy New Year to you too-----hoping all of us have a great 2011!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
rtrapp
New User
what are cam phasers and how big a job to replace them?how can you tell the difference between a exhaust leak at manifold and the tapping of these phasers? any help would be great. rtrapp

Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 AM
GorkyMan
New User
Hello I have a question I would like to buy a ignition coil for my 1998 Lincoln Navigator from MOTHERCRAFT but could noy fgure out the difference between ignition coil numbered 3L3Z12029BA and item numbered 12029

What is the difference or which one is suit for my SUV

can anybody has an idea?

I don't want to argue with ya. I agreed with you."To each his own"

I wasn't saying your quote was wrong, I was saying you can get them cheaper then 480.
MOTORCRAFT Part # DG511 {#3L3Z12029BA}=$45.89 A piece. And that's with a new boot!

Politics and religion? No thank you.
I'm a member on another Ford site that actually has a Political thread. I try to stay outta that.

Happy New Year.