2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rack for bed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:36 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike rack for bed?

I m looking for bike rack on bed for my '04 Screw.

I only need 2 bikes to hold on bed.

I ll looking thru e bay.com

Any advice ? home made?

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Lee F.
Freshman User
I just lash our three bikes to each other with bungees and use cam-lock straps to anchor the whole thing to each of the four corners of the bed. I bought some foam pipe insulation to put on the bike parts that would rub. I've put hundreds of miles on this setup with no problem. Much cheaper!

Old 10-02-2004, 10:58 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
DOH, why didnt i think of that LOL! guess time to run home depot or Sears for strap ropes etc.

Thanks!
YEOW!

Old 10-02-2004, 11:02 AM
leiterch
New User
If you want a cleaner install. Go to the local bike shop and you can pick up the quick latch mounts for your front tires. Then take a 1x4 and cut to the width of your bed. Bolt the mounts to the board and you are all set. I did this for my ranger and used it to travel half way across the country twice. I just recently bought a new board for my 150. It works really good and I think it cost me less than $20.

Good luck
chad

Old 10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
umm good idea but bolt bike mounts on wood ?? if yes, what about stress? you know wood isnt that strong to hold if the bike is moving (when to turns left or right) and screw might not hold strong enuff due to wood?

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 10-02-2004, 11:16 AM
leiterch
New User
I assumed you were talking about pedal bikes correct? If so, the quick latch mount has 4 holes and you drill completly through the wood and use and actual nut and bolt not screws. If you are talking pedal bikes you would probably have to get into and accident for the bikes to move. When I talked about cutting the board to the bed width. You cut it so that it fits really snug, kinda like use a mallet to tap it down into place. Hope this helps. If you are talking about motorcycles then my idea isn't going to work in the slightest.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Lee F.
Freshman User
I went with the "just strap it in" method for a few reasons: 1 - not all of my bikes have quick-release front wheels. 2 - No storage issues when you aren't trucking the bikes - throw the straps & bungees anywhere, and use them for other purposes. 3 - Strapping the bikes tight to each other takes up less space in the bed than any multi-bike holder I've ever seen. 4 - no loose wheels to store & the bikes are ready to go when I get there. 5 - rubber tires are all that touches the bed - no scrapes, scuffs, etc in the paint (I put the kickstands up).

I alternate the bikes nose-to-tail and run straps from the "front" end of the frames of "the bunch" to the front of hooks on the bed, and run straps from the "rear" end of "the bunch" to the rear hooks on the bed. Pull all the straps down tight and nothing moves. I thought I had a picture of it, but I don't - but I expect you can picture it in your mind.

I have a front receiver on my Explorer that I put a cargo platform on, and I carry the three bikes up there the same way when I'm pulling our camper, except I tie the bunch down with bungees and straps due to the different configuration.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:54 AM
likalarry
Senior User
truck bed bike racks

Yakima makes good products. Pricey, maybe, but if you browse around their site, you may get some "do it yourself " ideas for mounting your bikes..... Good luck.
Larry in SF, CA http://www.yakima.com/home.html

Old 10-03-2004, 07:53 AM
YOMAN
Elder User
LOL yeah i m talking about bike pedal hehe..its mountain biking with front/ rear quick disco.

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
DAThomas9
Junior User
I did the same thing as leiterch, except I used a 2x4, covered it in heavy felt (dark grey), and used screws since I was anchoring into a thicker board. It looks nice, is easy to take in and out, and is tons cheaper than a Yakima-style rack. I had plenty of comments from other folks who thought it very clever, and were a little sorry they spent so much on their pricey rack. I used to to the bungy thing, too, but this is much more secure, and taking the bikes in and out is also much quicker.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:28 PM
jowpup
New User
Old 10-03-2004, 06:20 PM
edman04
Senior User
Wow! You guys have some great ideas. I work as a millwright at Ford. We do a lot of steel fabrication and construction work (we tend to build everything extra heavy duty, lol) I was considering building a bed back rack out of steel pipe. I was concerned about the overal weight of a 4 bike rack. I thought it would be a pain wrestling a heavy rack in and out of the truck.

All of your ideas were less expensive and less time consuming (cutting steel pippe & wielding) than mine. The PVC plan looks cool.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:26 PM
YOMAN
Elder User
I just built 2x4 and made it shape like "L" and the bottom of 2x4 (after painted it in black) i poured some plastic-dip cuz it will work w/ metal, and woods so i appied some of it to help less movement like stuck on sprayed in liner bed (rubber to rubber).

YOMAN!

Old 10-04-2004, 08:15 AM
racione
New User
I made my own carrier that fits into your trailer hitch out of 2" square tubing, holds two bikes secureand without rubbing each other. Check my gallery, it's on my 97 F-150 but works great on my 04 too.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
bdean
New User
I use the RempRack (http://www.remprack.com) -- unique and different. Probably not for everyone. It's a bit pricey!

Quick Reply: Bike rack for bed?