Whats stronger in a 400, pistons, crank & rods, or block? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Whats stronger in a 400, pistons, crank & rods, or block?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
mustange70 has a good reputation on FTE.mustange70 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm running the small cap msd mechanical dizzy, which is probably the same as what you have, and yes its non vented and sealed.

Took the motor down to the builder, cam and valve train is good to go, need to replace a few parts on the affected cylinder, but that was expected. Crank and rotating assembly is all scat, as are the bearing spacers we're using on the mains (dug into this and they are fairly common in the circle track and road race world where guys spin the motors a lot higher and longer than i will be, so we're plenty confident using them), crank is going to be about half price of what i expected, which is a nice surprise.

Also going through evilbay found a contact for a roush engine builder/parts guy that may be able to help me out on a bare set of yates heads , so providing i can use my valvetrain parts I may go this way, we'll see.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
big cap and vented!

for the high rpms you need to be vented and big cap. Also on your distributor you need to lock out your distributor so you don't get any erratic rotor movement and cross fire within distrbutor. If going 5500rpm or more you need to be running a big cap distrib. those contacts start to get close at higher rpms. Especially if your not running a phaseable rotor. Only the big cap has the phaseable rotor. just another way to fine tune your engine and tweek a few more ponies out of you engine. One of the things you might come across is if you crossfire your ignition and go lean you could break a journal on crank. Cha ching$$$$$$$ had a buddy who ran a distributor with a vacume and ignition was going erratic in higher RPM and broke crank detonation situation 472. rebuilt motor and changed everything to better stuff 10,000 dollars + and reran. changed everything and broke crank again in same spot with same distributor. Was turning around 6500 rpm with 514. When I seen the crank and how it broke across journal was the flag for me and we figured out what was happening. sad story. said ford was a piece of crap, he now spends a little more time with his ignition issues and hasn't broke a crank!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
mustange70 has a good reputation on FTE.mustange70 has a good reputation on FTE.
Something to look into (the timing is locked out already), but not high on the list right now(haven't any issues with the ignition). One thing i do need to do is upgrade from the 6A box to something with a built in rev limiter, and it'd be nice if it was programable too, but thats on the wish list.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
wish list!

Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
Something to look into (the timing is locked out already), but not high on the list right now(haven't any issues with the ignition). One thing i do need to do is upgrade from the 6A box to something with a built in rev limiter, and it'd be nice if it was programable too, but thats on the wish list.
yeah got one of those wish list also and its a very long list and some cool stuff on it too. catch you later and keepin old iron alive one engine at a time.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
dyno date is tentatively set for june 23 .

Waiting on pistons to get in, cr is set at 13.5:1, ordered a set of jomar stud girdles for the valvetrain from john kasse, ordered a 6al-2 box, edlebrock victor high volume water pump (was going to go with an electric but decided to spend the money on the stud girdle). The 4bolt main caps for Mr. Meyer are just dead sexy. That said the block is prepped (going to be using a bit of block filler in the bottom end, dunno if thats been done yet gotta talk to him early this week). and right now the only thing holding us back on hitting the dyno date are the pistons.

We're set for a specific number on this build, but I ain't tellin till i have the paper to prove it , it'll be one of the higher numbers these 400's have seen (to my knowledge anyway lol).

Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
heres a another good video of it lettin go:

YouTube - ‪Ford Mud Truck Blows Motor‬‏

Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
cool!

heres a another good video of it lettin go:

YouTube - ‪Ford Mud Truck Blows Motor‬‏
cool puff! whats wrong with front end not turning like the rear on wheel speed?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
memories!

The last time i popped a motor like that I wasn't even doing anything cool. just leaving the gas station doing about 25mph. non dramatic boring dropped valve situation, small puff. I'm kinda jealous of your misfortune and got it on video too. Yeah I'm jealous!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
thats just a camera thing with the angle the vid is shot at and the frames per sec of the camera, plus the tires were plugging up from the sticky mud.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
thanks, still jealous.

thats just a camera thing with the angle the vid is shot at and the frames per sec of the camera, plus the tires were plugging up from the sticky mud.
still jealous of the big puff out both exhaust. great for video, thanks form wyoming.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Haha, thanks.

So talked with the builder last week, pistons are a hang up right now, everything else is ready to go, we are just waiting on the pistons, i'll find out in the next couple days on when we'll be getting them in, and then go from there, won't be till next week.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
watching video?

when you took off in first round you popped the carb a little. Believe you blew a power valve and then next round you went lean and then got expensive. lots of rpm but no wheelspeed. What size tires are your running? used to baby oil the truck to keep mud from sticking to truck. need to make wheelspeed to clean tires. will truck go another gear for more wheel speed? catch you later and learned a lot form video on truck.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
No it was running way lean prior, plus the pistons were just hyper's so limited life anyway.

That pit was just an ugly pitt, guys with boggers and the power to spin them were plugging up, just that type of mud that day.

The only spray i use on my truck is silicon spray, as anything else is usually flammable and i've seen to many trucks catch fire to put anything on the truck to make it clean easier, i just make sure to wash it while its still wet.

Thought i might as well post up in here about my tranny upgrade too. What i'm going to use is a toploader 4spd, out of an old fairlane i believe. I'm upgrading the input/output to the 1 3/8" input and 31spl output, then a complete rebuild on the tranny, new top plate cut out of 1/4" plate and a couple gussets, then lastly a custom built adapter to bolt up to a nv 273 transfercase out of a superduty with 31spl input. Right now I'm just waiting on the adapter. I will also be building a shifter if time permits:

rebuild kit, input and output shaft and the new case (the other case i have has the small bellhousing pattern and won't work with the lakewood bellhousing i use)

Up close shot of the new input shaft, the thing is beefie

This is the bearing retainer for the input shaft, the new big one on the left and the small, old one on the right, theres a fair difference in size.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Just thought I'd update this a tad. The short block is being assembled finally. There has been a change. I managed to pickup a set of aluminum heads for the motor last week. Picked up a set of blue thunder high port heads . They've already been ported, but we will stick them on a flow bench, my research shows that they can hit 400 cfm on the intake and 275 on the exhaust with an ok port job, and up to 440 on the intake with a cnc port job. So this should push the power up a bit .

Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Sweet!

Just thought I'd update this a tad. The short block is being assembled finally. There has been a change. I managed to pickup a set of aluminum heads for the motor last week. Picked up a set of blue thunder high port heads . They've already been ported, but we will stick them on a flow bench, my research shows that they can hit 400 cfm on the intake and 275 on the exhaust with an ok port job, and up to 440 on the intake with a cnc port job. So this should push the power up a bit .
those are nice heads. now what carb you gonna run? more air means more carb. catch you later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats stronger in a 400, pistons, crank & rods, or block?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.