6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

"Making Oil".... How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Making Oil".... How much is too much?

Just checked my oil at 9,000 miles, Had first oil change at 5,500, and I am definitely making some oil. I tried the "Short Stick" method and it's still off the plastic on the end of the dip stick. Didn't really notice much change through the first 8,000+ miles. I Check oil at about 1,000 mile intervals.

Driving habits: 30 miles round trip to and from work averaging about 40-50mph. Truck is a daily driver. In town driving I can usually average 35-40 mph regularly with minimal stop and go. I make sure to get out on the freeway at least once a week and get up to 75-80 for 15-20 minutes.

What gives with all the fuel in my oil?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
did you regen while in town? At low speed?

Mine will read right at full when I short stick it.

TSB says it should read in the center but mine never does.

Did you check when the motor is cold?

I'd be concerned with more than about 2% myself. I think Ford allows more though.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
did you regen while in town? At low speed? Not that I know of. I am very aware of when it goes into regen, I can feel the power lag, hear the sound difference and since I drive with my windows down a lot, I usually catch a distinct smell. If it does go into regen while in town, I usually have the ability to jump out of a farm road or freeway for a few minutes till it's finished.

Did you check when the motor is cold? Yes, it's been sitting for about 8 hours. It is best to check while cold right?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Yes I check mine weekly in the same spot.

I also upon changing the oil and it has sat for a day will re-check it. I beleive that each time I change the oil...the new fresh oil sometimes reads a little differently.

Don't know why but I always re-establish what is full and then I know for the oil run.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
How did you break this motor in?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
How did you break this motor in?

There was a post on here somewhere about the proper way to break in a motor. I followed that as much as possible. Unfortunately, the first couple months, I lived about 6 miles from work, so there were some real short trips at first. I did take a nice 350 mile one way trip at about 1,500 miles.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
a good run is important. a Heavy tow up a steep grade at WOT will help too.

What you want to do is to seat the rings as much as possible.

You have that working against you though. That top ring on the piston is designed to be loose and tighten and seat with heat.

It is made loose because of the high heat and boost this motor can put out. The makes the ring expand.

It also will allow blow-by though.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
a good run is important. a Heavy tow up a steep grade at WOT will help too.

What you want to do is to seat the rings as much as possible.

You have that working against you though. That top ring on the piston is designed to be loose and tighten and seat with heat.

It is made loose because of the high heat and boost this motor can put out. The makes the ring expand.

It also will allow blow-by though.

We don't have any steep grades here in Southeast Texas.

What would you recomend at this point to ensure a good seating of the rings?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I always recommend at grade at WOT because you want the motor to work at it hardest for several miles. Get it good and worked up.

You can still do that without a incline, just tow heavy as possible for about 50 miles. That would be my recommendation.

It may not mean much to others but I have 45K on my truck and my oa's always come back with <.5%...a disclaimer though.

This late oa I had gotten stuck with a drive to clean that just would not stop..in town and I could not get out because of work. I think I got some bad fuel.

So I knew that one was gonna be bad. It was 2%. But I don't make oil as a rule.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:38 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Awesome! That really helps out a lot. Looks liek I'm going to be taking a little trip with a loaded down trailer really soon.

Thanks Senix.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always recommend at grade at WOT because you want the motor to work at it hardest for several miles. Get it good and worked up.

You can still do that without a incline, just tow heavy as possible for about 50 miles. That would be my recommendation.

It may not mean much to others but I have 45K on my truck and my oa's always come back with <.5%...a disclaimer though.

This late oa I had gotten stuck with a drive to clean that just would not stop..in town and I could not get out because of work. I think I got some bad fuel.

So I knew that one was gonna be bad. It was 2%. But I don't make oil as a rule.
One other comment I would like to add. These engines are not designed for a 30 mile R/T to and from work. That's 15 one way and a shut down. The engine temps are not even stabilized yet. You need to work the snot out of these engines. They were not designed as grocery getters which is basically what you are doing.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Stopped by the dealership this morning to have them take a look and two service writers told me that they have never heard of a 6.4L getting fuel in the oil from regens or "blow by" unless I had a leaky injector and at 9200 miles that is highly unlikely. I was told that I should just keep any eye on it.

Seriously? I'm going to be looking for a new dealership.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Yeah, get a different diesel tech I'd day. Someone certified for the 6.4. Although they all should be by now.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I spoke with my cousin who is a Ford diesel tech this Christmas about the PSD's and he stated that he's now seeing rocker arms wearing severly due to what he believes is from fuel dilution. The 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 share the same basic design (although they are different) the 6.4's are the only ones having this problem. He didnt' know to what level the dilution was at, so the point is don't take this fuel dilution to lightly. Oil change frequency can deture this problem.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Hi RM. My last oil analysis after 3400 miles had 6% fuel or what would amount to 16 qts with one of them being fuel. Before that I had been on a long summer trip towing and the two oil samples during that trip were 2% and 1% I think. So, what Senix said worked out for me for 2 trips but the 3rd puzzeled me because most of that was towing also. I did some reading and put a couple threads on here the week before Christmas. Someone else added one and the primary subject is oil growth and biodiesel. I think there are 3 total threads pretty close together. Short version is that biodiesel is prone to get into the oil and to stay there while some of the diesel will boil out the bio won't. So that's one more thing to consider. So I got out the credit card records and tracked down the stations where I had refilled most recently. i think there were 6 (i have a 60 gal tank) I called all of them and sure enough, 3 of the six had bio and I didn't even notice it. Please read the EPA study as to what they think an engine will withstand without failing. I don't buy it, but they are experts. I am concerned to the point of inventing an oil maintaince program. Bottom line is I put a fumoto drain in place of the oil plug. Each 1000 miles I will drain down to 1 qt low and add a qt of fresh. At 5000 I'll change oil and filter then repeat the program. I will do an analysis at 2500 and 5000 the first time through. If that program won't keep the oil healthy I don't guess it can be kept healthy. Good luck. Stan

Quick Reply: "Making Oil".... How much is too much?