Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bringing her home today!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 AM
chriscris
Senior User
chriscris is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
too cool!
congrats!!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Army Ford,
nice truck and welcome to FTE. About the additives: most people round here say you do not need to add lead to your gas unless you are racing or pulling heavy loads daily; I have found out, hopefully not too late, that we should add zinc to our motor oil. The oil companies have taken out the zinc because it was destroying catalytic converters. However, the reduced zinc content oil does not lube the cams well enough and cams are wearing badly. I have just begun to add a zinc additive to my oil at the last oil change. You can buy this at most parts stores.

Also, perhaps you know already, but repro bed parts are not made for the bigger pickups yet, so take care of your bed sides and tailgate as they are bigger than the F-1's.

have fun and good luck and show us more pics along the way...

Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
You can also use diesel motor oil, like Delo 400, with success. I'm running it in my Airflow and the 52.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Current diesel oil spec has greatly reduced zinc, too.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ArmyFord View Post
First let me introduce myself. My name is Dan...

Hold on a minute,what'd you say your name was? LOL! Sorry,inside joke.Nice ride, and welcome to FTE.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice truck, I spent the summer working in Gunnison and didn't see one old Ford Truck. It was a little disappointing. Found an older wrecking yard in Montrose and the owner (oldtimer) said IH was king in the area along with Chevy. Must say I saw alot of good deals on Scouts and such. Anyway keep us posted on your progress.

Paul

Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 PM
mathew21
Junior User
mathew21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome, Very Nice looking Solid Truck.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Corner Gas
Post Fiend
Corner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Army Ford,
nice truck and welcome to FTE. About the additives: most people round here say you do not need to add lead to your gas unless you are racing or pulling heavy loads daily; I have found out, hopefully not too late, that we should add zinc to our motor oil. The oil companies have taken out the zinc because it was destroying catalytic converters. However, the reduced zinc content oil does not lube the cams well enough and cams are wearing badly. I have just begun to add a zinc additive to my oil at the last oil change. You can buy this at most parts stores.

The Mobil 1 and Amsoil extended drain oils still have the high zinc content in there oils. Check the label to make sure it doesn't have the API logo on it and you sould be good to go. I am using the Amsoil 10w-30 in my truck.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 AM
bailegb
Junior User
bailegb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to the Ford F3 family. You and your sons are going to have great times working on the truck. Have fun!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
gobybike
Junior User
gobybike is starting off with a positive reputation.
From another newbie...Welcome! Take lots of pictures, they will really help you get it back together. Great truck!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ArmyFord View Post

I have found manuals and such for it, but cannot locate a VIN decoder. Anyone know of a site for this?

We are the VIN (Serial Number) decoder site. Post it in the thread at the top of the main 48-60 page. Or post it here and we can tell you what you have.

Also, some newbie questions... Is it necessary to add lead additive when filling up?

No, just a waste of money. Plain ol regular does the job.

What is a good oil to use that has the correct properties for this engine (any additives needed?).

I run diesel oil in mine.

Does anyone know if this color on the tank was factory?

Not if it is really a 48. Five colors that year were black, red, yellow, green and gray.

This site has already been a huge help. Thanks in advance for answering the stupid questions I have and will have in the future!

There are no stupid question, but we may give you some stupid answers lol

Dan
Tim aka mtflat

Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
tardster
Elder User
tardster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gobybike View Post
From another newbie...Welcome! Take lots of pictures, they will really help you get it back together. Great truck!
Well thats true and sounds like a shop manuals that we use in the ARMY lol, but we here in the forums just like scoping out all the rides everyone has...

Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
ArmyFord
Junior User
ArmyFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. It was a long day yesterday, but we finally got her home.
My plans are to keep it stock looking (I really like the tall tire look), with some minor modifications. I want to swap out the rear axle for the Dana 60, upgrade to power brakes and steering, maybe add a radio, as long as it goes with the trucks looks. I've found a company that makes OE style 8 lug wheels, but only in 16", so the swap will work out nicely. Other than that I don't plan for any major modifications, but I know once we start there's no telling where it will lead. I'll let the truck be my guide.
It is going to be more of a rebuild than a restoration, and it will be used a lot. I am going to enjoy driving this truck. My 5 year old is going to learn to drive in this thing.
My first order of business is to get it running. That way I know if I have to do a complete teardown of the engine or not. Then make sure the rest of the drivetrain is ready to go. Than it's on to the interior. After that, I will start on the rest of the bodywork that needs to be done. The bed will be either pine or oak. I'm not sure yet. I want something that will stand up to use.
I will take a close up of those tools in the tool shelf. There's actually 3 or 4 other things in there. I just got a quick look at them, so I'm not sure exactly what's there. They wouldn't be for the hand crank start, would they?
Here's a few more pictures.

Loaded up and ready to go

The wood is all there, although a little worn, and, unfortunately, there is a grain chute cut out of the tailgate

This is going to be one of my problem areas I think. The top of the cab is dinged up and the rocker panel is pushed in.

I was surprised at the shape of the interior.

I hope this wets the appetite for pictures!
I have heard good results from Shell Rotella on other sites. How about for these trucks?
Here is the VIN: 87HY-*165187. I'm not sure if that dash and star matter, but that's what's on it.
I kinda like the blue on the gas tank. Maybe I'll repaint the same color.

More to follow.....

Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
r_reed
Posting Guru
r_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to behold
that is one great looking solid truck. a lot of us use rotella 15-40 in our flatmotors. seems to work fine. very nice truck to start from.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Posting Guru
HILLBILLY BOB is a name known to allHILLBILLY BOB is a name known to allHILLBILLY BOB is a name known to allHILLBILLY BOB is a name known to allHILLBILLY BOB is a name known to allHILLBILLY BOB is a name known to all
Welcome to fte you have a good looking truck,you will find all kind of info here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bringing her home today!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.