Problems after replacing egr cooler. 2004 6.0 f250 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Problems after replacing egr cooler. 2004 6.0 f250

Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
New User

Thor77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Problems after replacing egr cooler. 2004 6.0 f250

After replacing the egr cooler and oil cooler, the truck dies after it gets warm. I've read that it could be an eternal oil leak which is causing the fuel pump not to pump. If that is the case, is it something that was screwed up when replacing the egr cooler and oil cooler? Please help its my work truck.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Senior User

Young Gun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How many miles since you had the truck apart? Does it just die at idle or when your driving? Can you give us moe info on your truck? Year? Mods?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
reove and inspsect the ipr valve for a sucked in or torn screen if either is found repalce the valave and retest
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
New User

I have put a couple hundred miles on it since it was tore apart. It is all pretty much stock except the egr cooler that was put in (bullet proof diesel). Right after i got it back it was not starting as fast (meaning i had to crank it for a couple of seconds before it started) so i replaced the fuel pressure regulator. That really didnt help. It drives fine when cool, but after it warms up it acts like it is running out of fuel and dies.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
reove and inspsect the ipr valve for a sucked in or torn screen if either is found repalce the valave and retest
once again.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
New User

ok. will do. Thanks so much.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Post Fiend

ipr is suspect do to the fact oil cooler was just done. that alone is enugh to warrent a look.
it can also cause long crank times and hard starting.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM
New User

ok, so i guess it was the ipr that was replaced and the screen was gone. Is it possible that part of that old screen is still in there and clogging things up?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
New User

We removed the ipr and it looks good still. Does that mean the problem is the hpop? The trucks been down way to long. Please help.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor77 View Post
ok, so i guess it was the ipr that was replaced and the screen was gone. Is it possible that part of that old screen is still in there and clogging things up?
I don't understand ..... was the IPR screen there or not?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM
New User

yes, the ipr screen was there and in great shape.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Freshman User

riverstroker04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor77 View Post
I'm lost with this, the screen was gone? but then you said it was there. If the old? screen was gone then I would say that it could be in the HPOP and that would be a problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Freshman User

Hurricane67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a question, what is this DELTA stuff, what are they refering to? if the egr cooler is out what should be the differance in temps OIL TEMP vs COOLANT TEMP, just curious what the normal oil temp should be, mine right now is COOLANT TEMP-180 OIL TEMP- 214, TRANS TEMP- 155, am i ok where these are??? putting an egr delete kit on next week and new oil cooler, wish me luck....lol
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Elder User

davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.
Hurricane67

See post #2 in here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pressure.html

There is lots (a huge amount!) of useful information in the Tech Folder.

With the ECT at about 190 and stable the EOT should not be more than 15 degrees higher.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Elder User

NewToDiesels is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Replace your thermostat too! Water temp too low. Should be 190 minimum.

Your oil temp vs coolant temp variance (delta) is too high. Good luck with the wrenching! Take your time and lots of pictures.