1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The ole boy's out in the field, playin checkers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be back right after I clean up all this drool! Wow thats a pretty Oliver.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Nice Oliver! Looks like the one a neighboring farmer had. We always had Fords, Grandpa had John Deere's, a farmer down the road had a Silver King. Another farmer nearby had Farm-alls. Good memories....
Abe, my old departed buddy was an Oliver man to his death. He grew up on a farm in Kansas and learned to love them. A big man (looking at the size of his fingers, I used to say he could change a wheel with-out the use of any lug wrench), he learned to do most of the maintainence right out in the field.
Once, I was at a tractor show with him and I stupidly mentioned that I didn't see much difference between the red Farmalls and the green Olivers 'cept for the color. He wheeled around and glared at me. Spitting on the ground next to his foot, his neck veins popping out, he mumbled, "That's like comparing Oleo and butter".
He remembered, all his life and hated, the business partners who he believed ran the Oliver business into the ground and then "sold all the pieces".
Oliver will never know what an ally they lost when he passed...slim

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
DROOL, DROOL,... that is a mighty fine looking tractor. My dad had a Case tractor and not a picture to be found from back in those 'ole days'.