1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover = how much better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM
CA Diesel Guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Great show! I saw that episode and if I recall, didn't they find that the only thing that offered any improvement was one of the tailgate nets?

I seem to remember that the best setup was actually no cover and tailgate up. Tailgate down worsened the mpg but but remember by how much

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by acf6
Wow, thanks for all the input guys. Just about the only reason i have to keep the cover is so items in my bed will stay dry, but other than that its probably useless. I wish i had known about those tonneau covers that you can still put on with a tool box but its too late now. I will probably buy a tool box after winter and store the tonneau in the garage, its not that hard to put back on if i need it. And i have seen the Mythbusters show (one of my favorite shows) but that was a while ago, hopefully it comes on TV again soon

Have a great christmas/holidays

The tonneau works great for keeping things out of sight and out of mind of prying eyes. If they can't see it, they normally won't bother it.

I have the LUND Genesis tonneau that has no brackets on the truck so I take it on and off on a very regular basis. I just keep my tools underneath when I carry them.

G

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
With my hard cover I get little to no mileage improvement. The truck is a little quieter with the hard cover on.

While towing my 28 foot enclosed car hauler, I see a huge drop in fuel mileage (about 25%) with the cover in place, plus the trailer seems a lot heavier at highway speed. The cover seems to screw up the aerodynamics.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Cylesdale
Junior User
old school

Just curious,

Who started the idea of the hard and soft covers on pickup trucks?.

Those hard and soft covers are very costly $$$., is it for the look?.

I have had 6 pickup trucks w/8t beds since 1970 and never wanted to cover the bed. Bought it to use it and without a slippery bed liner. I just put in the 3/8 rubber bed mat. Figured air that got over the cab was already gone and the Ford engineers designed it to be aerodynamic.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cylesdale
Just curious,

I think they look pretty good, and i can roll it up in about 30 seconds. But I could much rather use a tool box, and i like the look of them in trucks
Name:  41157_439527304030_806124030_5006257_4421811_n.jpg
Views: 7518
Size:  76.0 KB

PS: True blue looks awesome after its waxed for 4 hours

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
WestxSRT10
Elder User
Sadly there s no differance...I could not measure any increase. "MythBusters" show also found 0 miles increases with a bed cover.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cylesdale
Just curious,

Who started the idea of the hard and soft covers on pickup trucks?.

I have had 6 pickup trucks w/8t beds since 1970 and never wanted to cover the bed. Bought it to use it and without a slippery bed liner. I just put in the 3/8 rubber bed mat. Figured air that got over the cab was already gone and the Ford engineers designed it to be aerodynamic.

I currently use a Diamondback HD Aluminum Diamondplate truck cover. You can load up to 1600lbs on top and it's lockable. So you can carry tools & gear locked up plus load up on top of the cover. I like the open bed but I like even more the lockable cover to secure things and load on top. It can come completely off in about 10-15 minutes. But there are times I want the open bed too. Oh yea no mpg increase, it weighs over 150lbs!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerodynamics are very tricky and there is no real theory how to apply them. The only thing that works are tests, tests, tests in wind tunnels or on the road.
I remember the Myth Busters tailgate down lowered mpg, but that doesn't mean on other truck it will not increase it. My friend is driving his Ranger with tailgate down for years and he swears it is increasing his mpg.
My flatbed is having aerodynamics of open shoebox. Yet when I hook up my equipment trailer with dove tail -it will improve the aerodynamics of the truck enough to offset the resistance of 4500 lb of additional weigh. With trailer or not -I am having the same mpg. Part is that with trailer I am driving about 5mph slower.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Wife not bitching about luggage in the bed getting wet on a long trip. Priceless.
it can't rain in the bed while you're moving!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
Now if you can get your wife to load it and jump in at 60mph, your stuff will be dry! O dont stop at red lights or stop signs either!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

One of the best things for better MPG is gonna be, getting/making a larger air dam to hang off the front of the truck to divert air from going under your truck.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
Truck bed covers

Originally Posted by acf6
Currently on my truck i have a truxport, soft tonneau cover, in hopes to get slightly better mpg. I bought this instead of a tool box which im not really sure why because now im realizing how much more useful a tool box could be (for myself).

Basically, do any of you with tonneau covers notice any increase in mpg? Im asking because i never took any big trips with it off so i do not know if there is a difference. If its minuscule then i will definitely be storing the tonneau cover as soon as i find a tool box. Thanks
I had 2 of those roll up hard covers, 1 just a cover, the 2nd where it rolled up into the tool box, both on 8ft beds. being able to hit a button and roll it up or out and lock was very very nice and I liked the security. I hate to say it though it only gave me a +1.5 fuel increase, in windy conditions though there was considerable difference in the truck reaction, but, not enough to warrent the $200.00 cost, but the security was worth it though.
As far as Mythbusters you can not go by anything they say, 1/2 the time they are wrong.

Sarge

Old 12-22-2010, 05:56 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an Undercover on my truck. No mpg increase I noticed when empty. When pulling my boats I notice the wind from the tonneu nails the boat and causes excess drag thus hurting mpg.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
DavidB
Elder User
???

Where did you get that lame brain idea?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DavidB
Where did you get that lame brain idea?
Check it out sometime...

Next time you're highway bound and have to drive through rain, notice that your bed stays dry.

Like was said above though, once you stop (or go slow enough with a tail wind) the air bubble created by the cab disappears.

I used this phenomenon a few times... Once, I left College Station with a guy I used to ride bulls with headed for Texarkana to a stock auction. Wasn't raining in CS, was just barely drizzling in Texarkana, and pouring rain in between. We had our rigging bags in the back of my pickup, and thought we'd have to ride wet once we got there, but noticed that there hadn't been a drop of rain fall inside the bed, while the wipers couldn't keep up on the windshield. So I rolled every stop, avoided red lights, and kept on moving until the rain mostly cleared.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover = how much better mpg?