6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lack headroom in my 2011 SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
SneakyF350
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lack headroom in my 2011 SD

I wish I'd paid closer attention to headroom when I bought the truck. If I had, I would not have bought one with the moonroof. I'm 6 ft, and my head appears to be less than an inch from the headliner when sitting upright. I had a 2007 KR with the moonroof but had much more headroom. It appears as though the seat sits up higher. Is there a way to adjust the lowering max on the mechanism? Are there shorter seat bases out there one can buy? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You most likely have cooled seats. There has been plenty of discussion about this with some level of disagreement, but in my opinion the seats do not go down as low as they did in previous models. I'm not sure why it was necessary for them to leave as much room under the seat as there appears to be another 1"-1.5" for all those motors to still clear.

I'm pretty close to the headliner myself, but I'm not sure I would have given up my moon roof even if I had known it would be a problem when I ordered the truck.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 720Deere
You most likely have cooled seats. There has been plenty of discussion about this with some level of disagreement, but in my opinion the seats do not go down as low as they did in previous models. I'm not sure why it was necessary for them to leave as much room under the seat as there appears to be another 1"-1.5" for all those motors to still clear.

I'm pretty close to the headliner myself, but I'm not sure I would have given up my moon roof even if I had known it would be a problem when I ordered the truck.
He sure knows how to throw salt into a wound doesn't he Deere??!! We had a lot of discussion on this topic. I too was one who test drove a moonroofless truck and was surprised to find the lack of HR in the moonroof version. I keep thinking it is the lower headliner due to the airbag up there. Others, like Deere have their theory -- anyway you look at it, us tall guys are having a hard time fitting.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Just went out and checked. I am also 6' tall, but I have an XLT without the moon roof or leather/heated/AC, etc. seats.

I couldn't even get close to my head touching the headliner in any position, seat raised, slid forward, back rest up or any combination of the above.

I did notice that it is hard to see under the folded up vinyl sun visor in the highest seat position.

This carefully controlled study determined that your seat is higher than mine or the moon roof lowers the head liner A LOT.

OR you just have really short legs.

Case closed

Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD
This carefully controlled study determined that your seat is higher than mine or the moon roof lowers the head liner A LOT.

OR you just have really short legs.

Case closed
All of the above! The moon roof steals at least 1.5", the side airbags steal some head room along the sides and the heated/cooled seats sit higher to clear the the motors underneath each seat. It's definitely a combination of things that make me feel like Paul Bunyan!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Tangi Cowboy
Cargo Master
I'm a big ole boy (6'2"-280), my King Ranch has the cooled seats and the moon roof, & I don't seem to have a problem with head room, maybe I just never noticed , or mabe it's just the way I set or slump in the seat, but I'm as comfortable as can be!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM
TheKid1
Senior User
Yep, moonroofs rob hatspace, no doubt about it!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to do with how tall you are, unless you are trying to stand up in the cab. The relevant measurement is from your *** to your head - and please be sure to remove the latter from the former before performing said measurement.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm 5'11..FOR THE LAST TIME.....IT's THE MOONROOF!!!!!!!

SHane

Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Sunroofs and moonroofs take a ton of head room. I know the one in my Mustang (which is aftermarket) takes 2 inches.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by srkr
I'm 5'11..FOR THE LAST TIME.....IT's THE MOONROOF!!!!!!!

SHane
Absolutely agree Mr. Upper Torso.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lean your seat back a little. Just gotta sit in it like a Gangsta wanna be would. I am 6' 3" and it fits.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM
baxterboy
New User
Wonder if a person could take the 4 seat mounting brackets (the ones that attach the seat to the floor) and refab them for more clearance? Looks like there is probably 2 inches extra room under the seat. If it is to do with air conditioned seats than who cares, I will never use them anyways. I to am 6 feet tall and battling height / comfort problems in this truck. Someone (not me) should make up some new seat brackets and sell them. I will be first in line. I hate to say it but if I cant find some comfort real soon this truck will be traded in on something different. Now I know what the wife feels like when she asks for an extra inch and I cant produce. LOL.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by baxterboy
Wonder if a person could take the 4 seat mounting brackets (the ones that attach the seat to the floor) and refab them for more clearance? Looks like there is probably 2 inches extra room under the seat. If it is to do with air conditioned seats than who cares, I will never use them anyways. I to am 6 feet tall and battling height / comfort problems in this truck. Someone (not me) should make up some new seat brackets and sell them. I will be first in line. I hate to say it but if I cant find some comfort real soon this truck will be traded in on something different. Now I know what the wife feels like when she asks for an extra inch and I cant produce. LOL.
Don't know what you would get I bought a 2011 3500 ram mega cab and what do you know my head hits and my shoulder hits the side. I am 6'4" with 55" chest but none of my fords ever gave me a problem. 08 loaded is what I was driving before the ram

Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rdenis
Nothing to do with how tall you are, unless you are trying to stand up in the cab. The relevant measurement is from your *** to your head - and please be sure to remove the latter from the former before performing said measurement.
This here is what we all need to do! I have the moonroof, airbags, and the heated/cooled seats. I'm 5'11.5" and I can get in and out of my truck, sit in my normal preferred driving position with a hard hat on and not even think about the head room.

Since I am within 1/2 and inch of those who have trouble with head room, the only explanation must be the length of our torso being different, or you guys like to have the seat all the way up and the back vertical.

Quick Reply: Lack headroom in my 2011 SD