1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2006 Expedition XLT 60K Service - Ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM
arrow_uk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Expedition XLT 60K Service - Ripoff?

Dealer wants $1,060 for the service. We bought it used 4 months ago and it went in for a new battery.

Dealer wants to perform the following:
Oil Change/Filter
New Serp belt
Fuel service (injector cleaning, top engine decarb etc)
Fuel filter
Brake fluid flush
Air filter
Power steering flush
Transfer case flush
Rear differential check bearings, rings, pinions, new gasket and fluid

We have a used vehicle warranty which says we must abide by the servicing requirements as found in the vehicle manual. This says:

Change engine oil and replace oil filter.

Inspect tires for wear and rotate.

Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake
lines & hoses, and parking brake system.

Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.

Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.

Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.

Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension
and, if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and
U-joints.

Replace engine air filter.

Replace fuel filter (see page 47).

Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.

Change automatic transmission fluid on vehicles
equipped with the Torqshift transmission. Replace
the remote filter element on the vehicles
equipped with the Torqshift transmission. Inspect
automatic transmission/transaxle fluid level
on all other vehicles, if equipped with dipstick.
Consult your dealer for your particular
requirements.

Replace climate-controlled seat filters if equipped
(Navigator and Expedition).

Lubricate ball joints and steering linkage if
equipped with zerk fittings.

Lubricate 4X2 front wheel bearings, replace
grease seals, and adjust bearings (if not
equipped with sealed bearings).

Change manual transmission fluid.

Inspect and lubricate 4X4 front axle shaft U-joints
(F250/350/450/550).

Multi-point inspection (recommended)

My question is, for this vehicle, what do we NEED and is there anything else that is recommended above the essentials? We never go offroading.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
dealer ripoff

I would change all fluids and filters, including the transmission fluid and filter. Skip the fuel injector cleaning (not on their list anyway) and add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your gas tank at the next fill up. As far as cost, I wouldn't know, since I do all of this myself because i dont like getting ripped off. Also, when i do it myself, i know it got done. Probably get a better price at an independent shop. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 PM
totalrecall
Senior User
What he said, saying that however when I bought my 2001 a couple of years ago with 59,000 miles, went in for minor service and dealer talked me into most of that, around 800 dollars. Didn't have the transfer case flushed or the belt replaced for example. I kind of thought one time, why not at least I know what's been done to the truck at that point - was it a waste probably - but I knew I wanted the coolant and trans fluid flushed anyway, so I was half way there. Two years later chasing a rough idle, I had to do the plugs anyway with the COPs (Coil over plug) and that was the real idle issue anyway.

In the old days to clean the injection system you removed the air cleaner and shot one or two cans of carburator cleaner into the - carburator - while it was running and you were done - what maybe 5 dollars and about 15 minutes of time as you replaced the air filter anyway.

If they break down the estimate you may be shocked to see what they are charging for the belt and labor to put it on, same with the air cleaner. In some lame defense of what they do charge, if you pay the guys in the garage good money, some do get paid good, and by bad luck their day is spent doing the above - but with special tools and adaptors, well when you are done covering overhead and making money, you charge high prices (Remember the movie Used Cars and what Marshall Lucky did to high prices.) and people don't come back.

Did I digress enough, but I hope I gave you some ideas on what to look for.

Mike

Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
1060 seems kind of steep for what you have listed even at a dealer. Did you get a breakdown of what each item costs? Of the ones you list I would do these:
oil change
fuel filter
air filter if needed
brake fluid flush(brake fluid collects moisture and moisture is bad for brake parts)
transfer case
transmission flush if the fluid is dark

The rest are not necessary.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 PM
arrow_uk
New User
Thanks for the advice. Spoken to a local workshop and they reckon out here (Utah @ 4,700 feet) there isn't enough moisture in the air to warrant a brake fluid change until 100K miles. Gonna make a few more calls and get some better prices. There ain't no way I'm paying 1K+ for a service. I've had major services on a BMW cost less.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by arrow_uk
Dealer wants $1,060 for the service. We bought it used 4 months ago and it went in for a new battery.

Dealer wants to perform the following: If you do the following, these prices are pretty accurate across the board.
Oil Change/Filter $20 max
New Serp belt $50
Fuel service (injector cleaning, top engine decarb etc) 1 or 2 cans of Seafoam $8 ea
Fuel filter $10
Brake fluid flush 3 qts of fluid $21
Air filter $13
Power steering flush not needed, but if you insist, $5 qt
Transfer case flush not sure, haven't owned a 4X in years
Transmission flush $75 for 15 qts
Rear differential check bearings, rings, pinions, new gasket and fluid I wouldn't let just anyone touch my rear end , gear oil $6 qt X your capacity (maybe 5 or 6 qts?), $5 gasket
Check my notes in RED. Prices come up to around $255 if you DIY. These numbers are approximate, and all this can be accomplished in a day with some help (brake fluid bleed) and cheap special tools like the fuel filter remover, and the 10' of clear tubing and pan for the trans flush. If you DIY, let us know how it went.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I agree with all the above prices except the fluid for the rear end. If it is LSD you are looking at more like 20-25 per quart. Capacity is 3 qts.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM
trsimmons25
Senior User
Ah yes the old dealership "cashectomy"! Does that say "climate controlled seat filters" in that list? Arent those next to the muffler bearings in the stock room?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by trsimmons25
Ah yes the old dealership "cashectomy"! Does that say "climate controlled seat filters" in that list? Arent those next to the muffler bearings in the stock room?
There are actually filters under the seats. 20 bucks for 2, 3 minute job.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 AM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I agree with all the above prices except the fluid for the rear end. If it is LSD you are looking at more like 20-25 per quart. Capacity is 3 qts.
Valvoline 80W-90 in 1 ga container is about $16 and is good for conventional and limited slip. Lucas synthetic is about $15 a quart. Do these require synthetic?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lv2race
Valvoline 80W-90 in 1 ga container is about $16 and is good for conventional and limited slip. Lucas synthetic is about $15 a quart. Do these require synthetic?
They do, and given their tendency to fail, it isn't something to be messed with.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Got it! Just read my manual and it says synthetic ONLY, but it also says it's "considered lubricated for life, not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required, or unless it's been submerged in water". From what I read, we leave the diff alone unless there's a problem.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lv2race
Got it! Just read my manual and it says synthetic ONLY, but it also says it's "considered lubricated for life, not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required, or unless it's been submerged in water". From what I read, we leave the diff alone unless there's a problem.
I believe the service interval for an LSD is usually 30k. I think a standard diff is considered lubricated for life.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
arrow_uk
New User
So which do I have on my '06 Expy?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arrow_uk
So which do I have on my '06 Expy?
Depends on what it was ordered with, it is an option. There is an axle code on your door jamb sticker which will tell you.
Here are the codes from another thread...
17 is 3:31 non-limited slip
H9 is 3:55 limited slip
H7 is 3:31 limited slip
H6 is 3:73 limited slip

Quick Reply: 2006 Expedition XLT 60K Service - Ripoff?