Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

rescue of the '50 parts truck

Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM
badger_hound
Elder User
badger_hound is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
rescue of the '50 parts truck

When I bought my '49 f1, it came with a parts truck that I had to leave behind. After a few weeks I was still trying to figure out how to get it back. Fortunately I made contact with Ilya via the fte forum, and being the good guy that he is he offered to help me out. So this past Sunday we hauled it back from Petaluma through the 'maze' of bay area highways and over the Santa Cruz mountains in some pretty crappy weather. Here are a few photo highlights for those interested... although it is hard to compete with the ongoing gender-bending controversy thread!

pickup in petaluma

delivery

my new parking lot

enjoy!

BH

Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting paint scheme!! But i do like it.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM
badger_hound
Elder User
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1 View Post
Interesting paint scheme!! But i do like it.
I agree - if you look closely you can also see a ghosted oval on the driver's door with faint lettering. The previous owner used the truck for his business (parts delivery), and apparently he also used to race flatheads back in the old days. My guess is that the latter activity inspired the custom paint job.

By the way, congratulations on the magazine article!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
truckdog62563
Post Fiend
truckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant futuretruckdog62563 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by badger_hound View Post
Fortunately I made contact with Ilya via the fte forum, and being the good guy that he is he offered to help me out. So this past Sunday we hauled it back from Petaluma through the 'maze' of bay area highways and over the Santa Cruz mountains in some pretty crappy weather.
Ilya to the rescue! Good goin', guys!

A few years ago I did a similar trip, and at this time of year. A buddy bought a panel truck in San Jose and talked me into hauling it home with him. My truck and trailer, his gas money. The bay area traffic was horrible, the neon clad rice rockets zooming around us in and out of traffic were maddening, then we raced the weather going over the Donner Pass going back east on I-80. Today it's a good story to tell over adult beverages, but it wasn't fun. Stu

Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
The comraderie was great yesterday, but the weather was crappy. However, hauling an old Ford makes any day great. We even encountered a few thumbs up on the way.

The first truck was used in racing and has remnants of an auto parts business signage on the door. Perhaps the original owner was trying to mimic SoCal Speed Shop of the day.

I'll let Mike fill in the rest.

EDIT: Looks like he already did.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
badger_hound
Elder User
Yeah, Donner Pass is no joke in a winter storm... at least we just had rain to deal with.

Hey Ilya, I had a great day too. Let me know if you need any help dealing with the parts pile when the time comes.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to beholdjmadsen is a splendid one to behold
Dang, Your "Parts Truck" looks a lot better than what my 51 F1 looked like! I think I bought an idea of a truck and then started buying all of the parts needed individually! Of course I've learned alot since then but it's still just a pile of parts strewn about! Someday

How cool is that, That Ilya Helped ya pick up your truck!

BTW I don't think I would be real comfortable pulling much of anything over Donner's pass even in summertime! that road is darn steep and has some nice curves!

Cheers

Josh

Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jmadsen View Post
Dang, Your "Parts Truck" looks a lot better than what my 51 F1 looked like! I think I bought an idea of a truck and then started buying all of the parts needed individually! Of course I've learned alot since then but it's still just a pile of parts strewn about! Someday

How cool is that, That Ilya Helped ya pick up your truck!

BTW I don't think I would be real comfortable pulling much of anything over Donner's pass even in summertime! that road is darn steep and has some nice curves!

Cheers

Josh

You are not the only one who bought an idea of a truck. I bought my 51 with cab and frame only. There will not be two pieces that came off of the same truck. Each fender I have found came off of different trucks including, hood, grille, bumper valance, bed, and many others. Makes a fun challenge though!!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
old_dan
Posting Guru
old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Now it's time for Ilya to call on us to help get the panel running properly!! You don't need any more of those "shots fired" police calls when your truck backfires!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
In BH's case, his first truck is complete, so he likely won't have a use for the parts truck, but it was part of the deal to take it.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by old_dan View Post
Now it's time for Ilya to call on us to help get the panel running properly!! You don't need any more of those "shots fired" police calls when your truck backfires!
Thanks for the help. I had a friend try a few things on the truck while I was helping to move the truck on Sunday, but there was no improvement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.