Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

stock sound deadening

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
jvmcc
Elder User
jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.
stock sound deadening

I'm scraping off, as best I can, all the layers of paint on and in the cab of my '53 before I start sand blasting. Some of what I'm scraping off is a pretty thick layer of an asphalt coating at the back of the cab, below the rear window. I'm assuming that this was applied for sound deadening, as much as anything else. But, there doesn't appear to be any factory paint under this coating. So, my question is: did these old F-series trucks roll off the line with this coating? And was the body enamel sprayed right over it? And, I find heavier globs of an asphalt material at some of the joints in cab body panels. It almost looks like it was troweled in place. Is this stock, or did a previous owner do all this?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
leverhead
Junior User
leverhead is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have this in my 53 also.....on the cab wall under the window. I left it there as the metal in my cab was good. I used liquid nails to glue damplifier pro over it for extra sound deadening.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Simple answer...yes, this was done at the factory. Now the question is why. When these trucks were built I don't think that sound deadening was a concern, they were utility vehicles and creature comfort was low on the list of features. The area behind the seat was always used to store "stuff"...IMO the coating served more as a barrier to protect the cab wall from damage when things were stuffed behind the seat and then banged into as the truck bounced down the road and the seat pushed back on it.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
jvmcc
Elder User
jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey guys, thanks for the fast replies. So, accepting that this was the way these trucks rolled off the assembly line, any ideas as to whether or not this coating got painted with the rest of the cab? I have no way of telling on my own truck...it got paint over paint over paint to the point where I had to do some serious scraping just to find the original paint layer on other parts of the cab.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Yes, this coating was painted along with the rest of the cab. Now...what is your intention for your truck? Most folks apply some sort of sound deadener to the rear wall of the cab...anything from carpet to Dynamat. If it is in your plan to do the same then don't bother with cleaning off the old stuff, just cover it up. If you are a purist and want to restore the truck then that may be a different story. In either case I would not remove the old stuff unless there is a problem with adhesion...the goop on the rear walls of most cabs that I have seen is all random so painting over what is already there should be good even for a stock restoration. If you MUST remove it then I would suggest soda blasting...it only removes the paint and it is very eco-friendly. HF has a nice rig and the media for cheap.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
jvmcc
Elder User
Not knowing much about the coating, I have already scraped it off along with the umpteen coats of paint. I do have a couple of small creases in the sheet metal down there that I'll hammer out, so removing the coating will help with that little bit of business. Otherwise, I plan a completely stock restoration. So, I'll have to find a similar goo to spray on that's compatible with the paint. The only non-stock aspect of the restoration that I'm considering is the wood bed. I have a really hard time thinking about painting the white oak bed boards with paint.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Simple answer...yes, this was done at the factory. Now the question is why. When these trucks were built I don't think that sound deadening was a concern, they were utility vehicles and creature comfort was low on the list of features. The area behind the seat was always used to store "stuff"...IMO the coating served more as a barrier to protect the cab wall from damage when things were stuffed behind the seat and then banged into as the truck bounced down the road and the seat pushed back on it.

they only did it because the ad for the "custom" cab had that in it. Selling point I guess.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
My '54 F-100 standard cab has the spray on sound deadener and it is a Standard Cab. I think the Custom Cab sound deadener as advertized was referring to the fiberglass insulation above the headliner.

So all cabs had the spray on sound deadener. They also had it inside the doors.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh, well in the 51-52 trucks it was a 5 star package deal only, Although all the doors had that in there. I figured it applied to the 53-56 also, but I learn something every day.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
FYI 3M body shutz sprayed with a shutz gun works real well. Basically what factory used and hardens so you can paint over it. I used it on my Bronco and Mustang with very good results. This is what I will do inside the cab and doors. Shutz runs about 40 dollars a quart, gun about 70 from NPD.

Good Luck,
Paul