6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Egr valve question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egr valve question

Got the EGR p0401 code about 2 weeks ago and found a dirty EGR valve (powdery dry), so I cleaned it. Cleared code, all was good. Got the code again last night, so today pulled the EGR valve out and found that there is moisture on the bottom half of the valve, and moisture at the bottom of the intake port that it sits in. Valve was not real dirty yet, wiped it off with a rag. I must have cought this just as it started to leak or something. I have not noticed a loss of coolent in the degas bottle yet, and the truck seems to run great (of course, right?).

So, my question is: if I unplug the EGR valve will it prevent coolant from entering the cylinders; therefore, giving me time to get parts ordered and still being able to drive the truck? It makes since to me that if the valve is closed, the coolant would stay out of the cylinders. It's also cold enough, and I'm not towing anything, that I'm not worried about the fan operation at this time.

2005 MY Excursion 4x4
2004 sticker on motor
150,000 miles
Stock as far as I can tell
Economy FICM tune from Ed.

If I can figure out what parts to get (thoroughbred diesel's sinister kit looks good), how long does this job normally take? Oil cooler, EGR cooler change?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Sticky wet is "okay."
point truck downhill (roll back tires on some wood) and check in morning if pooled wetness then there is a prob.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Most of the time you'll get some warning before you get to this point. Was the EOT/ECT temp spread ok? As far as running it, it's really a matter of feeling lucky (assuming the EGR cooler is leaking), there is a lot on the line as far as creating more problems with headgaskets and hydrolock. I would park it, and maybe even drain a couple of gallons of coolant so it doesn't leak down in to cylinders, until it can be repaired.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
I'll clarify, there where hanging droplets of liquid on the bottom half of the valve. I will do as you say, but I'm not going to hold my breath on this being "something else". Can't think of another way that liquid can get in there, but you all have more knowledge about these matters than I.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:25 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
I'll clarify, there where hanging droplets of liquid on the bottom half of the valve.
Not good, Definitely do as Rusty said!

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
As far as running it, it's really a matter of feeling lucky (assuming the EGR cooler is leaking), there is a lot on the line as far as creating more problems with headgaskets and hydrolock. I would park it, and maybe even drain a couple of gallons of coolant so it doesn't leak down in to cylinders, until it can be repaired.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Deltas have been in the 10*f or less. It does have me a little confused, but I suppose it's a guideline and not a prerequisite for trouble. I do feel lucky that I got a DTC that caused me to check the valve again, as I had just cleaned it, and wouldn't have even looked at it again probably for another year.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Hate to hear it's leaking, terrible timing with the holiday cheer (and spending). The EGR valve isn't water tight, unplugging might reduce how fast it leaks but wouldn't stop it completely. One of the big dangers is starting, coolant can leak down into the cylinder when it's parked and lock the engine, or you could be driving as the leak gets bigger under pressure steaming out the tail pipe more and more until it can't keep up and it locks. It can happen pretty quick. Even if it doesn't lock, water expands at a much higher volume than the usual intake mixture causing very high pressure in the cylinders that can stretch head bolts causing the gaskets to fail weeks or months after the truck is fixed.

Not sure what your situation is as far as emission inspections, but this may be a good time to do an EGR cooler delete or an "upgrade" EGR cooler, and I would replace the oil cooler as well. If the truck still has the "problematic" STC fitting on the oil pump this would also be a good time to update it also.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Yeah, this is my only vehicle, and Christmas timing pretty much sux. It's a good thing I have a company truck, so no commuting, but we are busy and I'm not sure if I can get this done in a weekend. I would like to delete the EGR, but I am a law abiding citizen, and I live in a county that requires emission checks.

Any suggestions on where to source the coolers from?

Coolent will leak from the cooler to the cylinders while it's just sitting?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I haven't bought one lately, but when I was shopping Tousley (White Bear or what ever it was re named) had the best price on the oil cooler. I got my EGR cooler from BDP but at the time I thought they were the only ones offering the upgrade, but now a quick check of eBay will turn up a lot of results. I will say the BDP unit hasn't been a problem over a year now.

Coolant can leak down while it sits, I would at least loosen the degas cap and relieve the pressure while it's sitting. I recommended draining some coolant so the level would be below the cooler so gravity doesn't get to it, about a gallon should do it, a little more to be sure, you could still fire it up for a couple of minutes to get it moved around the yard or on a trailer if you needed to.

I have a parts list with part numbers and year+ old prices if you want me to post that.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
I know people think I'm crazy but the easiest way to tell if thats coolant is to pull the egr valve out again and get some of the moisture on the tip of your finger and taste it. You will tell real quick if its coolant or condensation.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
For starters, what does coolent tast like? Secondly, pulled EGR valve today, after having the truck nose down all day, and the valve is bone dry. Like, powered soot falling off the valve, totally no moisture. Perhaps this was all a bad dream?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The gold should have a bittering agent in it. Do you want to come down here? I have the
vacuum and pressure testing tools. The vacuum tool needs a compressor to make it work. I can
get around that. It just takes a little bit of thinking and a few parts to attach my hand pump to it.

Sean

Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
I may thanks for the offer. Wouldn't be until next week at this point. Working Christmas through Saturday this week, so Sunday or Monday, or Tuesday are my days off. I'll PM you later in the week if it comes to that. Gonna try driving it around the block this weekend and check it right after, before it gets too hot. I've got the EGR command% showing on my dashboss, when does the PCM usually want it open?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
After about 150º F ECT.

Any time should be ok.

Sean

Old 12-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
yeah, u do want to keep the egr valve plugged in. if u pull it, it may throw a check engine light. also, the egr valve is tied into the radiator fan. sensitive setup. i hate it too.

Quick Reply: Egr valve question