1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Tate's 72 Highboy Restoration.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Phil105
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks GREAT - very "professional" looking lighting in the photo too!
Take the rest of the day off and go be Santa! HO HO HO

Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil105
Looks GREAT - very "professional" looking lighting in the photo too!
Take the rest of the day off and go be Santa! HO HO HO
The picture turned out much better that I could believe, I had the dome light on and made the picture with my Blackberry, go figure

Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Phil105
Elder User
I'm curious - do the buckets sit you down lower than the standard bench seat? Looks like it to me.
(Santa just left here - must be headed your way)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM
BigBlack71
Senior User
What did you do with your exhaust manifolds? Did you paint them black too?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 AM
tpdaniels
Tuned
I used black paint made for BBQ grills, I think it was rated to 1200 degrees, I have run the engine for about 15 minutes after painting, stayed on so far.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Originally Posted by Phil105
I'm curious - do the buckets sit you down lower than the standard bench seat? Looks like it to me.
(Santa just left here - must be headed your way)
The front of the seat sits the same as the bench, the back is a little lower. I only drove it up and down the driveway, about a 1/4 mile but it has a good feel and sits at a good level for me. It makes the cab seem a lot more roomy, I'm 5'8" and it fit's me just right.
(Santa made it and I was a good boy)

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
As much as I hate to say, some things are way more important than my Truck. Grandkids are one of them, my wife and I took the kids and grandkids to Myrtle Beach the day after Christmas for a week. I never knew so many people went to the beach that week; there were crowds everywhere we went. We stayed at a Condo/Hotel that had an indoor water facility, hot tubs, lazy river and swimming pools. We had a great time but it sure is good to be back home, and the kids at their home. This is four of my babies, three 10 year olds, the end Boy/Girl are twins and my 14 year old.
<O</O
Hope to get back to work on the truck later this week, more pictures as things get done<O></O>

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM
BigBlack71
Senior User
TP, where did you get your undercoating kit? What come with that and how did you apply it?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Originally Posted by BigBlack71
TP, where did you get your undercoating kit? What come with that and how did you apply it?
I got it from a friend who runs a body repair shop, he had just enough left to do the two inner fenders, I borrowed the paint gun he uses to apply it with, next time I see him I will find out the what it was, I have already thrown away the cans he gave me.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tpdaniels
I can't believe I spent part of Christmas Eve working on the truck, The wife left early to go shopping and I was going to just take it easy. All that changed around 10 when UPS delivered my new bucket seat floor mounts. I thought I would just open them for a test fit on the seats, that looked so good, one thing led to another, next thing I know I have the seat out, floor mat removed and the bucket seats sitting in the truck. Being that they are in the truck, I might as well drill the holes needed for the inside brackets, that done I bolted them down, made a picture and decided to quit. Here's what they look like now, it will look a lot different when they have been recovered and the cab redone inside.

Merry Christmas

i have the same brackets that were reproduced according to factory dimensions. tell me does it feel like you are sitting in a highchair ?
that is the way it feels to me. like i am sitting ON the truck, not IN the truck. what did they make these things for someone who is only 5'5" ?
i am only 5'11"
mine are a beautiful powdercoat and unfortunately i may have to chop them and reweld so i can lower my seat an inch or two.

*i notice the distance from the top of the seat to the bottom edge of the rear window on yours is the same as mine.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
i have the same brackets that were reproduced according to factory dimensions. tell me does it feel like you are sitting in a highchair ?
that is the way it feels to me. like i am sitting ON the truck, not IN the truck. what did they make these things for someone who is only 5'5" ?
i am only 5'11"
mine are a beautiful powdercoat and unfortunately i may have to chop them and reweld so i can lower my seat an inch or two.

*i notice the distance from the top of the seat to the bottom edge of the rear window on yours is the same as mine.
It does have a total different feel, I'm 5'8 and it fit me just right. It does have an awkward feeling but I think part of that come from the fact the truck is unfinished inside, I'm going to recover my seats and put in new foam for the finished product. I think when the carpet is in and Gas tank covered it will feel right. My bucket seats actually sit slightly lower than the original bench seat. Here is a picture of what I am going to put on my seats, it's the 66 Mustang Pony Seat cover, our trucks never had this but it will really look Sharpe in these trucks.<O</O

Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thick jute padding and carpet, along with a dashpad will definitely set new heights for things and make it feel more comfortable in the cab but i know i might have to still lower the seats. nice seatcover on that one

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Finally back to work on truck

After several weeks of vacation and working on my "Honey Do List" I made some headway on my truck today. I took the bed, tailgate, hood and front fenders to be soda blasted, the underside of the bed and inside floor of the bed will be sandblasted. The shop is going to epoxy coat everything and topcoat with urethane primer.

After months of looking locally for a C6 For a 250 4WD I gave up and bought a Borg Warner T-19A Close Ratio transmission last week. Of course today I found a automatic made for it, So I guess now I have to decide what to use.

I looked like Sanford and Son going down the road this morning, I hope to have it back the first of next week

Several weeks ago a fellow member had a NOS 72 Grill, never used he found in the attic of his fathers shop, we were able to work out a deal, that should really made the front end sharp.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trucks going to look good when its done your not missing to many spots on the truck and will be almost new again when your done I can't wait to get started on mine again after winter I don't have a garage to work in I got some goodies off a 79 donor for the disc brakes axle power steering and some other parts I seen that grille you got in the other thread I was going to get it if you didn't how much did you pick it up for if you don't mind saying?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Ron Hyde
New User
Hey where did you get the seat mounts from?

Quick Reply: Tate's 72 Highboy Restoration.