2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BakFlip G2 -Any Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BakFlip G2 -Any Opinions

I am considering purchasing one of these tonneau covers. Does anyone have any opinions on them good or bad? It seems like it will suit my needs very well based on the functionality and I think it is the best looking of the folding hard covers. tks

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
ruli00
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Freakin Awesome. Buy it.

I bought the F1 for my 6.5' bed on black friday from www.autopartswarehouse.com

They had a 20% off site wide deal.

I got the flagship model for less than the G2.(almost)
My invoice is below.

Install was not as easy as the video, had to notch a hole in my factory bed cover and cut about 1/2" off the BakFlip rail.

Tonneau Cover BAK Industries Tonneau Cover F-150|XLT BAK Industries Price: $ 940.38 Qty: 1.00 Part #: B6572307

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Sub Total:</TD><TD>$940.38</TD></TR><TR><TD>Discount:</TD><TD>$188.08</TD></TR><TR><TD>Shipping:</TD><TD>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>Handling:</TD><TD>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tax:</TD><TD>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>Core:</TD><TD>$0.00</TD></TR><TR><TD>Total:</TD><TD>$752.30</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

-ruli00

Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 AM
AspenGreenMetallic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a hard cover is what you must have, then it doesn't look too bad. Seems super tough and solid. I'm not a fan of them personally. I don't like the way it folds up and rests against the truck's back window when fully open.
I am a much bigger fan of soft roll-up covers. I had an Access tonneau on my Ranger that ran me under $200 installed. Plus, it rolls up completely without blocking any view out your back window. I would get one for my F150, but it came with a fiberglass topper, and I love that too.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Join Bakflip on facebook and enter video contest to win $1000

Join the Bakflip community on facebook...and enter contest the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" video contest to win $1000.

BakFlip Tonneau Covers | Facebook

and if you aren't on facebook you can enter the contest here:

I Love My Flippin' Bakflip!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Win $1000 in the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" VIDEO CONTEST!

Enter the "I Love my Flippin' Bakflip" VIDEO CONTEST!

BakFlip Tonneau Covers | Facebook

and if you aren't on facebook you can enter the contest here:

I Love My Flippin' Bakflip!

Tell us your Bakflip STORY:

Show us your Bakflip! Show us your Truck!
Why is your Bakflip "Flippin' Awesome"?
What's the craziest thing you used your Bakflip for?
Has your Bakflip saved the day?
How do you use your Bakflip?
What if someone took your Bakflip away?
What's the coolest thing about your Bakflip?
Could live without your Flippin' Bakflip?
Why do you Flippin' Love Your Bakflip?

Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AspenGreenMetallic
If a hard cover is what you must have, then it doesn't look too bad. Seems super tough and solid. I'm not a fan of them personally. I don't like the way it folds up and rests against the truck's back window when fully open.
I am a much bigger fan of soft roll-up covers. I had an Access tonneau on my Ranger that ran me under $200 installed. Plus, it rolls up completely without blocking any view out your back window. I would get one for my F150, but it came with a fiberglass topper, and I love that too.
I second Aspen's comment about the way it folds up against the cab when fully open. Totally blocks all view etc.

I too have a soft roll up cover, the TruXport from Truxedo, and love it. On the truck for about $345 with a tailgate seal.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
BakFlip

The BakFlip does not block your view insofar as you only need to drive with the cover in the full upright position when you're transporting something large like a fridge or desk, at which point your view is blocked anyway.

The rest of the time you can drive with the cover in incrementally open positions, such as three panels folded forward, or just two as an example. At any such time, none of your rear view is blocked at all.

The fact is that it's the only hard tonneau that you never need to remove and that gives you full access at those times when you need it - and believe me, those times pop up more frequently than you can imagine.

To compare a floppy vinyl cover like a truxedo to a superb OEM Ford cover like the BakFlip is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

I guess more than temporarily blocking your rear view at times when it would be locked anyway, you should ask yourself if security, functionality and solid OEM styling is important as well.

WOuld you use a piece of vinyl as your front door on your home? I wouldn't. To be honest, I find any vinyl cover the cheap alternative that is designed to keep snow and rain out of the bed, but cannot and should not be compared to any solid, hard tonneau cover. Anything that flaps around in the wind and makes your truck look like your showing up to the prom in a pair of sneakers just isn't my thing. What I will do is tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, and not try to pull the wool over your eyes with the absolute nonsense that I have just read above!

Just visit facebook.com/bakflip if you really want to know the truth from a cross section of thousands of folks from all over the world. Don't take it from me, I'm just one of thousands that'll tell you the same thing.

Comparing a truxedo rag top to a BakFlip cover is tantamount to comparing a Rolex to a plastic Timex. Both will tell you the time, but they're just not the same thing.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmaimin
The BakFlip does not block your view insofar as you only need to drive with the cover in the full upright position when you're transporting something large like a fridge or desk, at which point your view is blocked anyway.

The rest of the time you can drive with the cover in incrementally open positions, such as three panels folded forward, or just two as an example. At any such time, none of your rear view is blocked at all.

The fact is that it's the only hard tonneau that you never need to remove and that gives you full access at those times when you need it - and believe me, those times pop up more frequently than you can imagine.

To compare a floppy vinyl cover like a truxedo to a superb OEM Ford cover like the BakFlip is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

I guess more than temporarily blocking your rear view at times when it would be locked anyway, you should ask yourself if security, functionality and solid OEM styling is important as well.

WOuld you use a piece of vinyl as your front door on your home? I wouldn't. To be honest, I find any vinyl cover the cheap alternative that is designed to keep snow and rain out of the bed, but cannot and should not be compared to any solid, hard tonneau cover. Anything that flaps around in the wind and makes your truck look like your showing up to the prom in a pair of sneakers just isn't my thing. What I will do is tell you the truth, at least from my perspective, and not try to pull the wool over your eyes with the absolute nonsense that I have just read above!

Just visit facebook.com/bakflip if you really want to know the truth from a cross section of thousands of folks from all over the world. Don't take it from me, I'm just one of thousands that'll tell you the same thing.

Comparing a truxedo rag top to a BakFlip cover is tantamount to comparing a Rolex to a plastic Timex. Both will tell you the time, but they're just not the same thing.
x2. Although this poster clearly has a vested interest in the BakFlip cover I like mine and would never substitute a soft cover for the security, durability and looks of the BakFlip. Not in the same league at all.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cecilt
x2. Although this poster clearly has a vested interest in the BakFlip cover I like mine and would never substitute a soft cover for the security, durability and looks of the BakFlip. Not in the same league at all.
Fair enough.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
nnero
Elder User
Considering its 3x the price, it damn well better fit and look OEM. Im not knocking it, just sayin...It all depends on a persons needs. It does look like a quality product though. Bragging about a rolex doesn't help someone who can only afford a timex. Believe or not, some people cant drop $700-1000 on something like this.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you tell me why your product only comes with a 1 or 2 year warranty, depending on the type of cover you offer.

I completely understand your need and want to plug your product, but the OP asked for our opinions, and we gave him just that. For me, since I mtn bike, I have my bike in the bed 2-3 times a week which requires full access to my available space in the bed. I prefer the rolling cover due to this fact, plus many others.

The BakFlip is a nice product, but there are other options out there as well. I'm sure the OP will search long and hard, like I did, to find a product that fits both his needs and his budget.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by nnero
Considering its 3x the price, it damn well better fit and look OEM. Im not knocking it, just sayin...It all depends on a persons needs. It does look like a quality product though. Bragging about a rolex doesn't help someone who can only afford a timex. Believe or not, some people cant drop $700-1000 on something like this.
I didn't pay any where near this price for a brand new G2 in December. Got it on Ebay by making an offer. Well below $600 so that makes it barely more expensive than the soft top.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
nnero
Elder User
Originally Posted by cecilt
I didn't pay any where near this price for a brand new G2 in December. Got it on Ebay by making an offer. Well below $600 so that makes it barely more expensive than the soft top.
Then that makes it a good deal. These are the best looking hard covers I have seen. I still would have purchased a soft cover, but that just me. If you do get one, I hope you are happy with it, and post pics if you can. You already bought one off ebay?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by nnero
Then that makes it a good deal. These are the best looking hard covers I have seen. I still would have purchased a soft cover, but that just me. If you do get one, I hope you are happy with it, and post pics if you can. You already bought one off ebay?
Yes and installed it 2 weekends ago. Looks great. Haven't driven the truck since I installed it but got it b/c we go camping and wanted a cover for wood, coolers, and anything else we want to throw in the bed. Also nice for those times you have something of value like a $300 shopping spree at Sams Club and that is not your last destination of the day you can lock it up in the bed.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I've always wanted to try the Bakflip. I have an access on my truck and if you were going to go with a soft roll up, I would get that. I've been a technician for a few years now, and have seen a fair amount of covers and what wear and tear does to them. I know from experience anything with snaps on it are a pain in the rear. Alot of other covers like Lund seem to have problems with velcro peeling off too. Never seen an access with any problems such as this.

Quick Reply: BakFlip G2 -Any Opinions