6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

OEM or Aftermarket navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
OEM or Aftermarket navigation?

Which would you choose and why? I know how good the Ford OEM nav is on our Expedition..... Weather and sports at a instant, plus the nav is good too. But the aftermarket is cheep, and you can upgrade it when something else better comes out. What was your decision and why?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my 2006 and I would take the factory unit over it any day of the week. I'm not totally happy with the sound quality of the factory head unit, but when considered as a full system it ranks pretty high in my book.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I had a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my 2006 and I would take the factory unit over it any day of the week. I'm not totally happy with the sound quality of the factory head unit, but when considered as a full system it ranks pretty high in my book.

Adding to the question? What exactly is the sound like in the Super Duty. If I remember correctly, the Nav system has a better sound system than the regular system, correct?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not horrible, but for what is supposed to be a higher end unit it severely lacks adjustability. There just seems to be no mid range at all. Adjusting the treble either makes it real tinny or crazy flat with no in between.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an external Garmin GPS that goes in the truck, car and GPS. It saves me keeping multiple versions current and the "figuring the systtem out" time is kept to a minimum. In our Honda, we had to choose between DVD and Nav, so that was an easy choose for us.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a Kenwood unit in my 08 6.4 and it was awesome, sound and GPS-wise. The GPS was by far superior over the OEM nav system in my new truck as the Kenwood was better at plotting shorter routes. Given that I drive through six states every day, this is important to me. The Sirius travel functions were available (on the Kenwood) but I never turned them on like I have now; that's a huge plus but you can get that with an aftermarket nav system as well. To me, the pros of the OEM are factory installed steering wheel controls (available with aftermarket but you have to add the interface), already installed satellite interface and antenna, a cleaner dash, a larger screen (as the controls don't take up screen space) and less hassle as it's already installed while the pros of the aftermarket are a better head unit (sound), a better GPS, accessible and less costly updates and ultimately, half the price of the OEM unit. I'm mostly happy with the OEM unit but the GPS needs to be better and to boost the sound, I'm going to change out my speakers and sub. It's very easy to use as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There are a couple of decent threads on this topic over at TDS:

Navigation System - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Factory OEM Navigation install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Questions about stereo install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

In these threads, some wish they ordered the factory nav and explain the upgrade process. Others debate the merits of factory vs third party units like the Kenwood and Pioneer.

I don't have my truck yet, but I have been debating the same thing...factory vs aftermarket. If you go aftermarket, you loose the Sync, factory microphone, and roof antena for GPS, etc. (have to use the antenas, etc that come with the new units). This potentially adds some minor clutter, but I have yet to see an aftermarket install to know how big of a deal that is. The other thing I don't like is that if you don't order the factory nav, the rear camera goes to the rear view mirror. I heard it can be a challenge locating that camera wire to re-direct it to the new nav if you like the bigger camera image, which I do.

Both the Pioneer & Kenwood units are nice. Kenwood seems to have better reviews on the nav portion. Both also have bigger screens than the factory nav as the function buttons are built into the touch screen.

Tough call really. If Ford did the same thing in the SuperDuty as they do in the F-150s, which is a full size screen with the function buttons in the dash below the screen, I'd probably go factory nav. There is other good info in these threads on upgrading the factory sound system (speakers, amps, etc)

Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not get the Nav with my truck. I rationalized that I have a GPS etc. Since, I have found many advantages besides GPS that I wish I had bought a truck with Nav. If someone knows of a replacement unit that integrates with the Synch etc, I am interested.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I have been using portable GPS units since the government granted access. For once I will be happy not to have to remember to pull the unit down, collect up the wires and hide it. GPS have evolved pretty quickly and the unit that is in the Ford has all the same bells and whistles that high end portables have. Couple that with the camera and Sync, it is a pretty complete package. I will let you know if I am still happy with it after I pay for the Sirius extension and the Nav map updates.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Rickatic, if you are interested, check some of the links I posted. I believe I've seen your name on TDS, can't remeber if I've seen it in any of those threads. Seems pretty easy to add the factory Nav unit if that's what you desire. Granted, may not be the most economic option at this point, but it's a good way to leverage what's already integrated in the truck. One of the members there did a pretty thorough job of walking through the purchase of the nav unit, the install, etc. There's at least one other guy who is going to install a Kenwood unit in a few months. I think the Kenwood would be every bit as functional, just doesn't leverage some of the existing truck technology.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I look at TDS most days but do not post much. Too much nonsense...I will check out those links.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Agree on the nonsense part, but I do like the upgrades and aftermarket section they have. There is another good thread on HID installs.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I don't see why anyone wants nav anymore when there are i phones and droid cell phones. these are updated and have the latest software on them. the last garmin nuvi I bought was a piece of junk, the touch screen was terrible it would enter a key you were not even hitting among other things. the built in nav system is way to expensive, doesn't update as well as i phones and driods and the best thing is they can be used in any vehicle.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
good point...maybe I should learn more about my Droid phone...

Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
jermort
Senior User
Guess I have the best of both worlds.
For finding addresses and navigating, nothing beats the built in Ford Nav system. For finding the nearest Starbucks, nothing beats the Droid.
My only issue is the Google Nav included in the Droid is still 'beta' and does crash the phone sometimes. When it crashes during a nav session, you will miss your next turn.
If I am not in a hurry, I use the Droid to find the business I want, put that address into the Ford Nav and,,, viola!! Perfect solution!
I haven't ordered the update DVD for my Ford Nav so cannot comment on that cost. Most aftermarket systems charge for updates also. Most phone based systems include updates.

jammer

I would add that the premium sound in the KR really kicks butt! There is a powered subwoofer behind the rear seat and a bunch of other speakers. The convenience of the radio controls on the steering wheel is the cat's meow!

j

Quick Reply: OEM or Aftermarket navigation?