Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
I Love it, I Enjoy it, I Need it - More, More, More
Complaining that is

Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.
Last Activity: 08-07-2010 06:13 PM

I dont think August of this year was before Julies time...

I use firefox and have no ads at all... I agree with the mods here. They have to get revenue from somewhere and they are not sending it every day. If it was more often then it is... Someone could make a new forum for us 48-60ers and we could start over with no ads.

Edit: After looking at the gallery... That IS Julies truck.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...184464&width=0

Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i got 2 so far this year Art.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Alcaeus View Post
Someone could make a new forum for us 48-60ers and we could start over with no ads.
That's very true, but who would pay for the web server? Who would host it? Who would run backups all the time and make sure the site stays around for years to come? What software would it use?

How would you promote the forum to get new members? Google Adwords ain't free Neither is Bing, Yahoo, nor any of the rest of the search engines. That site would be result # 1000 (or worse) on the search results list for "1956 Ford" for example, which google gives back 1.4 million results. FTE is number four. Mostly because of high traffic and link backs from other websites. Without the huge traffic of FTE and people who link to it, that link would drop way way way down the list.

Now I know, you can get cheap web hosting service from a variety of places on the Internet, but it still amounts to more than a small amount of $'s, especially when you get into things like drawing people in to sell their classic parts in something akin to the FTE Marketplace, or any of the other "value added" aspects of FTE. And the high traffic generated by the newer trucks helps draw classic truck owners too.

It's much more complicated than "let's start up our own web site and we won't need ads".

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
The reality is this is the BEST site on the web for us old ford truckers. The people are great and it already has helped me with my truck many times over. If I have to deal with a few pms over the year then so be it.

Just my opinon.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
I agree the ads in the PMs are annoying but I'd rather have them and have FTE than not have them and not have FTE if it came to that!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
jim collins
Postmaster
jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Well ,i payed to be a supporter a few days ago just to get rid of the adds . Guess what , the first greeting and wellcome was a notification add yesterday, I never had any until then. Then on top of that ,even with the other adds gone i still get them on the top and left side when i go to somebodys gallery to look at their pictures. So is it worth the cost ? I'm not sure yet, i probably will not pay it next year unless they will clean them out of the galleries as that is where i wanted them gone. Yes i know there is allways fine print , i just thought it would clean all out. Thats what i get for doing my own thinking. JIM

Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Am not a paid subscriber but I believe all the info on parts and the contribution to the restorers hobby with custom made parts is warrented to some level degree.
Maybe more filter on the site for spam PM's and less difficulty on the classified section for parts would be appreciated . Later , Denny

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
C'mon, twice a year? I can't even log into my home page without getting two.

On another Internet Brands forum I belong to, vendors can be members and are able to create threads to post specials, etc. They are much more targeted, tho, not for diesel F-350s in a '48-'60 forum. Most people there appreciate them.

Hardly worth 3 pages of discussion IMO.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Ross,I was recently informed that Internet Brands sold this site.Are we under "New Management"?

Why would anyone buy any maintain any website,unless it could create revenue?Those ads everyone is crying about are the revenue this site produces for the owners.It's quite simple,the more hits a website receives,the more money companies,like IB and others are able to sell ads.Same game as it's always been,no big deal.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
jim collins
Postmaster
jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post

On another Internet Brands forum I belong to, vendors can be members and are able to create threads to post specials, etc. They are much more targeted, tho, not for diesel F-350s in a '48-'60 forum. Most people there appreciate them.

Hardly worth 3 pages of discussion IMO.
Okay,now Ross, i'm not trying to cause any problems . But,you gave your opinion in post #9 ,a few others gave theirs and i gave mine in post # 37. Then you say it's "hardly worth 3 pages of discussion", you may be right. But you and i both gave our opinions,so it should go as long as everbody wants it too i guess. Aparently it bothers a lot of people or they would not keep responding to it. So now we both have made it a little longer with our extra post, it may never end. Please don't take this wrong, i'm not tying to start anything.You have a good day now and enjoy the sunshine there.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
mt54 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Seems to me that much more time was wasted by many, posting and reading this thread than it takes just to delete or ignore adds.

If it keeps the site a float, then I'm ok with it. I can spare a second or two of my valuable time to delete the adds.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
You actually get TWO PM's in our inbox when you first login?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM
auerdoan
Junior User
auerdoan is starting off with a positive reputation.
ads are just annoying i pay for my tv channels, just to get some add running at the bottom of my favorite show

i pay for my telephone and i get unwanted sales calls
i put my number on the no call websites
and some idiot with a tie still sells my number

the morons just dont see what there turning this world into just for a few bucks and a pat on back

a word for the bafoons keep smiling the boss luvs idots
and think about what ur doing

-Auerdoan

Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Alcaeus View Post
Last Activity: 08-07-2010 06:13 PM

I dont think August of this year was before Julies time...

I use firefox and have no ads at all... I agree with the mods here. They have to get revenue from somewhere and they are not sending it every day. If it was more often then it is... Someone could make a new forum for us 48-60ers and we could start over with no ads.

Edit: After looking at the gallery... That IS Julies truck.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...184464&width=0
That's right it is.

And I'm not going to explain the turn of events or situation that put it into my hands again. After sandidande was kicked off the site and I joined I was queeried by the administrators wrt to the situation and provided them with proof that we were different people. I've been here 2 1/2 years and have 7700 posts so apparently, they are satisfied with that proof. WRT others here, it's really no ones business and further explanation is not necessary - for the forum or me as a member - to participate, and to provide the kind of contribution to the other members that I do. Nor am I going to be chivied into that argument with the three or four ugly people who continue to pursue it. It's irrelvant.

WRT the adds, I think PMs is not the place. And I'm a little tired of hearing the "we need to do this or we have no money garbage." If you do the math wrt how much an add runs, how many they are, and multiply that by the number of forums Internet Brands runs, it's difficult to believe that they are so financially drastic that they need to pursue even the PMs for advertising.

I simply would like to have the ability to place the "FTE Broadcaster" on the ignore list to save my PM space (and negate the e-mail notifications) for communicating with other members when they need something from me, or vice versa.

I'm not attacking the owners here - I understand agressive business needs/tactics especially in todays economy. But........

Providing us with the ability to "Ignore" these adds should we desire to do so, is not impossible to do - and it's not an unreasonable request.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.