1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Ya know, I kinda figured this whole Dan/Julie thing was gonna be polarizing for everyone.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't think it matters what name a person uses when posting on the net but to come off as something you're not is deceiving. All the talk about being a flight attendant and other female characteristics got a little thick, sort of like a female impersonator, they always seem to over do it, too much make up and over emphasizing physical attributes, and make the character uncomfortable to watch. Every time I read a post I pictured this middle aged guy with hairy knuckles and a 5 o'clock shadow typing away at the key board trying to act like a dainty lady. The facts didn't jive so he should have realized the jig was up early and just come clean. Julie was a great help to the members of the board and I feel the members on this board would have accepted an honest explanation and gone on. I am sure there would have be some ribbing, that's what we do here. We're a bunch of guys gathering in an internet garage shooting the bull. We throw out ideas and thoughts and the rest of us react like any group of buddies would.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Merry Christmas

Guess what my last name is?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Merry Christmas

Guess what my last name is?
UUmmmmm, gee I give up.

Every once in awhile somebody asks if I live by myself (empty flat)

but for any new guys who are curious, mtflat is short for Montana and Flatheads. 12 years ago when I first got online we didn't know if it would be safe to post your real name so everybody used pseudonymns. It stuck, and I'm mtflat everywhere now.

Merry Christmas to all you boys and girls! You are a hoot to hang out with.

Tim Bartholomew in Kalispell, MT

ps. to keep this post from being off-topic, I've been visiting with Carlene by PM. Nice to renew friendships that way.

pps. spam in PM's is just like opening a christmas present from a distant relative... you have to open it but you'll probably never wear it in public.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I have the same user name on a lot of sites too. I like trucks, the wife likes dogs, and we have a zip code like everybody else. But I also list my first name always, and in many cases my last name. I think having a solid identity helps new members know they are dealing with somebody that knows what he's/she's talking about. Bob Jones (that's his real name) has made the point here several times that it's much easier for new folks to do their forum searchs using Google and user names rather than trying to navigate the FTE search module. Since we've all been new users at some point that's important.

To me it's just sad that this whole Dan/Julie chain of events happened. He/she offered a lot of help to new members, and it's a shame if that's been lost. Stu McMillan

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Oh yah... I'm really not blue either!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
We had a thread once about user names, what they mean, and how we chose them;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...name-mean.html

My name is pretty obvious; Bobbytnm
Bobby = first name
T = first initial of last name - Thompson
NM = New Mexico, where I live

I pretty much use the same name on other forums, ebay, etc that I visit. I have a hard enough time keeping track of one identity, there's no way I could maintain two or three different ones

Bobby

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
We had a thread once about user names, what they mean, and how we chose them;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...name-mean.html

My name is pretty obvious; Bobbytnm
Bobby = first name
T = first initial of last name - Thompson
NM = New Mexico, where I live

I pretty much use the same name on other forums, ebay, etc that I visit. I have a hard enough time keeping track of one identity, there's no way I could maintain two or three different ones

Bobby

Lol, Ya know it's kinda funny what one might assume or speculate a user name might mean, I figured your name or at least your nickname was Bobby, but I honestly though the TNM was for "time and material" lol duh.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Oh yah... I'm really not blue either!
WHAT!!!!! I'll never trust you again!

I'm a former High School and College (University of Nebraska) distance runner, hence the name Harrier. I'm Joe, I'm Samuel Joseph when I'm in trouble and Samuel Joseph Kirby when I'm Really in trouble. I'm in my forties with a wife and three kids and I still jump when Mom uses those names.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I've been called Grizz for so long now that not many people here in town know my real name.

Last name is too tough to pronounce anyway;

Lavimodiere, David F., One each, regulation, Double Extra large.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Lol, Ya know it's kinda funny what one might assume or speculate a user name might mean, I figured your name or at least your nickname was Bobby, but I honestly though the TNM was for "time and material" lol duh.
LOL.....

....thats pretty funny since I have neither of those things....

it just goes to show that there are always several different ways to look at things

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Ditto what Bobby said, I have a hard enough time remember the few pass words to web sites I visit, both pleasue (no, not that type) and business, I can't be using different names on each site I go to. If you see bobj49f2 that's me, Bob Jones with a 1949 F-2.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harrier
WHAT!!!!! I'll never trust you again!

I'm a former High School and College (University of Nebraska) distance runner, hence the name Harrier. I'm Joe, I'm Samuel Joseph when I'm in trouble and Samuel Joseph Kirby when I'm Really in trouble. I'm in my forties with a wife and three kids and I still jump when Mom uses those names.
I thought it was reference to the Marines VTOL jets!!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
.What I do care about is what a poster contributes to the discusions and infomation, and that they are not disruptive just for the sake of being disruptive.Julie (the poster) has been informative and has added value here, so I hope Julie has not been banned for any reason.
Ax,most of us are in agreement - to a point.Dan was, no doubt, very quick to help with wiring diagrams.In many cases,he went above and beyond to help, no question about it.

He was,however,in violation of FTE's Terms and Conditions of Use.
*Without limiting the foregoing, the following behaviors are strictly prohibited:
*Impersonation of another person,

Then,there was the flip-side of the coin,as you might have felt if you were member Alanco in this hammering Julie dispensed:

"Well Alan, that's pretty impressive.And after reading your responses above, well, I guss those who choose to believe you and your "sound engineering principles" can. Alan - you're an idiot - really! I've never experienced anyone with your philosophies who didn't come out of "the hills" and maintained a mechanical philosophy so backward (not even ameturish but just plain messed up- in all respects) as to try and convince others that they were "sound mechanical pratices." Torro Guano!As someone whos credentials [which really are not appicable here - yours or mine] far excede those, I simply don't understand why someone with your education can't seem to contribute more responsible inputs- from a simply technoligical standpoint. Seems that credtials don't build trucks. As a matter of fact my experience has shown that credentials don't reflect intellengence or a thought provess either. Knowledge, experience and an intelligent grasp of fundamentals, coupled with the ability to analytically rationalize solutions to problems is the key.A smart person with a high school education is a smart person. A moron with an advanced college degree is a moron - it happens - sorry. And Alan, only people with big educations and little intelligence try to post their certifications on web sites to justify really bad or unqualified inputs."

It seems that Dan refrained from tangling with you members whom he knew were highly skilled,especially guys having a automotive or racing background,such as yourself.But then there are the rest of us,with a mixture of backgrounds and skill-sets.Heaven help you if you learned a little bit in the process of coming on FTE,and dared to question him.Even if he'd previously helped you out,he could turn on you.

To me,the wiring diagrams and other things he helped out so much with,were so not worth all the insults, angry diatribes,"Tee-Hee's", and flirtatiousness.And, of course, there was the way he needed to absolutely dominate nearly every thread he posted in.

Even so,if he manages to make it back here,perhaps by getting himself a different ISP address (and yet another user-name),as long as he keeps it clean,most of us would probably not mind.We'll just out him again-TeeHee!Time will tell.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I have a rather unusual board name but it comes from the early days of computer games and just stuck. Every board I am a part of I use hellfirejim. I'm just an old guy with a F2.

jim

Quick Reply: Advertising SPAM in the Private Mail