6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Horse Trailer Advice/Gooseneck towing Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
4 star, Platinum, Elite, Dream Coach, Bloomer are all higher end alumimun trailers.

Midrange will be your Logan, Sundown, Exiss, Featherlight

If the prices of the High end scare you, consider the mid range trailers.
They will come in an all aluminum like the Royal T or a steel frame with aluminum skin like Logan or an all steel like Trailswest.

Royal T makes a reasonable trailer. They are a break off from a family company that has been building large semi truck trailers for years. They've been in the horse business about 3 maybe 4 years. But they seem to have copied many of the popular features from Circle J and Classic Trailers.

Almost all horsetrailers come with Gooseneck ***** that allow these trailers more articulation on uneven ground. While travel trailers faver the 5th Wheel to add more stability for their higher profiles.

I have a Logan 4H gooseneck. It has a 7' tall roof, That is fine for my 16H gelding.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say, wow. I am not a horse guy but those are some sweet trailers. I never considered the stability side of the fifth wheel versus goose neck. I learn something new here every day.

Regards

Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm heading out in the morning for a 4,000 mile trip over the next 2 weeks. It's warm here in Colorado, but I'll be headed North and East, into the land of SNOW and past the state with the crushed sports dome (to a land even more foul and inhospitable).
We'll see how the new dually does. Not going to deal with the trailer issue til Spring. But I will be reading this forum, and digesting all the good suggestions.

Just found out the dealer underinflated my tires (45 psi), but I had no warning light from TPMS. Does that mean there is no TPMS on dually's? Or maybe it's broken? Dealer (or Ford?) also didn't mount rear tires properly, as the fill valves for the inner rear wheels were inaccessible. After 7K miles, the tires are pretty messed up (in the front especially). Dealer says not their fault.

This could be part of the reason for the gradual decline in fuel economy, and not just from the Winter fuel. We'll find out more tomorrow. Also picked up the MP-8 fuel pressure tuning device to try out on my long journey. They claim up to 4 mpg improvement. I tested it for about an hour today running errands at its highest power setting, and saw no fuel economy improvement yet. More on this device in the coming weeks. It definitely made a noticeable difference in my dually.

Also picked up a Wingmaster adjustable stainless wing for when I tow. Should help towing economy, but probably hurt regular driving fuel economy. This one is angle adjustable and removeable. Will mount it on my return trip to establish a baseline for before/after comparos.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Von-Overkill
Am looking to buy a 3 or 4 horse aluminum trailer with or without living quarters.

And for those of you with horses, the above trailer ceiling height was only 7'. Is this the norm? Do Friesians or Clydesdales need more headroom (range between 16 to 21 hands high)? I'm a newbie with all this horse stuff, so I apologize if any of these questions seem dumb.

Re: living quarters. I love ours because my wife competes and it lets us stay close instead of the making the drive back and forth to the nearest motel. If you aren't sure if you need it, I'd think hard about it first. The length of a 4 horse trailer with living quarters may make it very difficult to get in and out of some places. Mine is a 2 horse w/living quarters and I've been in some really tight squeezes that had me saying bad words.

With draft horses over 19 hands, I've seen a few articles that you should consider an 8' tall trailer. At 21 hands you might even need to look at a custom build. Our 17-2 Trakehner looks like he'd have to poke a hole in the roof (ala Flintstones) of a standard 7' and fits just right in our 7'6".

Best of luck with your shopping, those look like some VERY nice trailers!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I'm heading out in the morning for a 4,000 mile trip over the next 2 weeks. It's warm here in Colorado, but I'll be headed North and East, into the land of SNOW and past the state with the crushed sports dome (to a land even more foul and inhospitable).
We'll see how the new dually does. Not going to deal with the trailer issue til Spring. But I will be reading this forum, and digesting all the good suggestions.

Just found out the dealer underinflated my tires (45 psi), but I had no warning light from TPMS. Does that mean there is no TPMS on dually's? Or maybe it's broken? Dealer (or Ford?) also didn't mount rear tires properly, as the fill valves for the inner rear wheels were inaccessible. After 7K miles, the tires are pretty messed up (in the front especially). Dealer says not their fault.

This could be part of the reason for the gradual decline in fuel economy, and not just from the Winter fuel. We'll find out more tomorrow. Also picked up the MP-8 fuel pressure tuning device to try out on my long journey. They claim up to 4 mpg improvement. I tested it for about an hour today running errands at its highest power setting, and saw no fuel economy improvement yet. More on this device in the coming weeks. It definitely made a noticeable difference in my dually.

Also picked up a Wingmaster adjustable stainless wing for when I tow. Should help towing economy, but probably hurt regular driving fuel economy. This one is angle adjustable and removeable. Will mount it on my return trip to establish a baseline for before/after comparos.
correct, no TPMS on the duallys.

unless u are towing a 5th wheel the wing won't help. the distance back to a bumper pull trailer messes up the effect.

Sam

Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I assume the wing will also work with a gooseneck...?
That sucks about TPMS not present on duallys. No electronic locker either.
I'm surprised they allow us to keep the radio and nav unit! LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can bump your budget up to the 300,000 plus range check out this bad boy. Make even your 450 work for its living.

Sundowner Luxury Liner : Dealer

Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM
tbaker00
Senior User
Wow that is a beautiful horse trailer! I don't have horses but I may just buy that trailer instead of a house!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
you do not have enough truck...

Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I assume the wing will also work with a gooseneck...?
That sucks about TPMS not present on duallys. No electronic locker either.
I'm surprised they allow us to keep the radio and nav unit! LOL
No, I don't think the wing is effective for the GN.. usually these aren't as big on the front face, or the face is farther back than the 5th. the wing pushes the air OVER the trailer.. but its got to be within a limited distance.. otherwise it crashes back into the trailer face anyhow

there are aftermarket tpms for duallys..
here is one that is add on to the valve stem, $300
Amazon.com: PressurePlus 8000 Series 6-Sensor Tire Pressure & Temp. Monitoring System (TPMS): Automotive

and one with sensors internal, $249
https://www.dragtimes.com/parts/6-Wh...520157789.html

Sam

Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
tbaker00
Senior User
Very true haha! But I would just live in it and not pull it around. Any time I move I will just let you come move it for me!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I can't pull it either...that bad boy needs a big dually...well we both could pull it but we would be way over GCVWR

Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
sdetweil, thanks for the TPMS links. Will look into it.

And that is quite a trailer Sportcraft. Costs as much as my house...

Well I'm at a motel in Nebraska, and I can say with certainty that the truck is much more lively here at the lower altitude. The MP-8 device is amazing. The power is very noticeably better. Am going through DEF more quickly though. First fill of DEF from dealer lasted 7500miles. Set cruise control for 82 mph (about 2600 rpm's). Only got 14.2 to 15.2 mpg at that speed. Did a flat/level stretch at 60 mph for about 20 minutes and got over 20 mpg. But I'd never get anywhere at that speed!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Quick update. Still traveling. In Iowa today. The lower altitude has made a huge difference in driveability! The three second (push the go pedal till it goes) delay is down to 1 second or so. The MP-8 is great, but one of the harnesses likes to unplug itself while driving! No 'click' on one of the two harnesses when assembled, so it tends to pull apart after a 1000 miles of jostling (putting truck in limp mode). I can now spin the tires at 35 mph if I step on it! Although high speeds (80 mph+) are averaging only about 15 mpg's, a recent detour of 90 minutes in length (stop and go) at about 60 mph average, yielded 18.5 mpg (1800 rpm).

Chevy knew what they were doing when they challenged Ford in the Rockies. As far as I'm concerned, this truck has some breathing problems at high altitude (where I live, work, and play). But down here at lower altitudes, it is unstoppable! I now finally know why everyone has been so happy with reported performance of these trucks. I just wasn't getting this lively response in the Rockies! Night and day difference!!
I'm headed to Ohio, so it might get even peppier there.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 mpg is pretty good for 80 mph though, I'd be happy with that! The wing will also help with keeping bugs off the front of the trailer - now if the same could just be said about that bid old front grill! I'm thinking of going with a billet which does seem a bit easier to clean!

If those axles are 8,000 then I guess that would fit with in the 450's capacity, but either way if I was lugging that thing constantly I think I'd step up to the 650/ International category. Actually I really like when the converted Peterbuilts and Kenworths.