1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power folding mirror swap 08

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
power folding mirror swap 08

I've been searching around but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. I have an 08 with power mirrors with heat and turn but no folding/extension. The question is if I got the mirrors with the power fold/extension option would it work in my truck? Is the harness already set up for that type of mirror? I know I would have to also get the correct interior door panel switch but thats it. If the harness is there this would be a simple 30 minute swap. Anyone know?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
well, the switch would be different, fold is pulling the mirror joystick back while the joystick is centered.. in/out is a separate switch.
I think that witing is between the mirror and the switch.. so its probably on the mirror itself..

what does your mirror switch look like?

sam

Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Originally Posted by sdetweil
well, the switch would be different, fold is pulling the mirror joystick back while the joystick is centered.. in/out is a separate switch.
I think that witing is between the mirror and the switch.. so its probably on the mirror itself..

what does your mirror switch look like?

sam
Thanks. I know I would need the mirror and new switch/panel. But you think it would work fine since it's in the switch and mirror? No extra wires/connections for that combo? My mirror switch looks like this. Thats the best pic I could fine. Mine does not have the secondary switch. It's just the joystick type control with left and right stops. It does not have "fold/unfold" option.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Anyone?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I recall reading something about this a while back and some didn't have the power fold mirrors and wanted to add. In their search I think they came up with an anwer of no go. The controls are in the pcm and not just in the switch or the wiring. I don't remember where they got their info from being that if it was ford, do the guys they found out from really know what they were talking about. We all know how much some of them know, right.

Now that said, you could always put in the mirrors and add some wiring to say upfitter switched to control them fold in and out. The switch just has to be momentary/off/momentary with a reverse polarity.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
pcm for mirrors ??

that would be odd

we have local sellers offering 08 installs with all options for 03-08
for a $$ depending on options

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Normally I would say that is crazy (the pcm controlling the mirros). But given these trucks are basically rolling computers it wouldn't suprise me. I miss the days of simplicity. I'll talk to my dealer next time I'm in there and see what they have to say for themselves.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I remember reading somwhere that in that year they only came on the 450's and the '08 250' and 350's did not support them. I have an '08 and would like to add them as well.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
I think I remember reading somwhere that in that year they only came on the 450's and the '08 250' and 350's did not support them. I have an '08 and would like to add them as well.
Really? Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read it on a post here but I think it was a year or two ago.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My 08 F350 has the power/fold mirrors, stock..

I would guess that based on your switch config, you should be able to replace the switch and the mirror and get it to work.

I haven't seen a wiring diagram.. the issue will be fold/extended on the passenger side. does the wiring go there stock?
its 4 wires if not.

Sam

Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to live in a townhouse complex that had an '08 with Power F/T mirrors...

it's doable.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by boulderbronco
Really? Can anyone else confirm this?
the job 1 trucks for 2008 only had the power fold/telescoping mirrors on the FX4/LARIAT packages and they must have the tow command option (integrated trailer brake). I have a job one XLT with the tow command and I have manual folding mirrors, but the mirrors are power/heated mirrors.....I still want to swap mine over......

Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
I've been searching around but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. I have an 08 with power mirrors with heat and turn but no folding/extension. The question is if I got the mirrors with the power fold/extension option would it work in my truck? Is the harness already set up for that type of mirror? I know I would have to also get the correct interior door panel switch but thats it. If the harness is there this would be a simple 30 minute swap. Anyone know?
i know this is an old post, but did you ever find out about the swap?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
did you ever figure this out?

Quick Reply: power folding mirror swap 08