Wire diagram for brake lights. Want a blackout switch. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Wire diagram for brake lights. Want a blackout switch.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
FreeDevin
Senior User
FreeDevin is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey guys, I want to get a pair of night vision goggles and already have infrared lights installed on the truck. What I need to do next is install a toggle switch for killing the brake lights, so I can run the truck blacked-out and put on the brakes without the truck giving itself away by the brakes lighting up. Any ideas?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
firemaster
Elder User
firemaster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got some pretty covert operation goin on there...I don't dare ask why you need this setup. I would think you'd have to put a switch somewhere between the brake pedal switch. Although I am wondering.....I would think that whomever or whatever your trying to sneak up on would hear the diesel engine.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
Maybe this will help.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2002 exterior lights.pdf (55.6 KB, 1211 views)
File Type: pdf
2002 exterior lights 2.pdf (61.5 KB, 710 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Rushmore X
Postmaster
Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by firemaster View Post
I would think that whomever or whatever your trying to sneak up on would hear the diesel engine.
good point

Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM
woodnthings
Postmaster
woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
This should be what you are looking for. Like firemaster said, the brake pedal switch wiring would be your best bet. (Page 90-4)

2002 Exterior Lights Diagram

Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM
rbsample
Senior User
rbsample is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not that it matters but in the great state of PA that switch would be illegal. It has to do with the vehicle code and the police thinking if you are trying to kill your brake lights you must be up to no good

Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
SLAMMIN 22
Junior User
SLAMMIN 22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like this.....LOL your on the right track start at the brake pedal switch ran one on my semi when I had it makes the popo's think you are slowing down when you really dont .Thats what i used mine for anyway good luck

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
FreeDevin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
good point
Actually, yall would be surprised.

I don't intend to do anything illegal. I have had night vision goggles before and used them to help me see better at night on my boat, camping, etc.

For the same reason I have a lift, I don't intend to do anything bad with it, just another cool toy that's nice to have but not necessary to have.

Thanks for diagram! I'll check it out!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
driximus
Posting Guru
driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I hope you dont plan on driving around with NVG's. It hard enough to just walk around in them. and most have zero depth perception.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Rushmore X
Postmaster
Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FreeDevin View Post
Actually, yall would be surprised.

I don't intend to do anything illegal. I have had night vision goggles before and used them to help me see better at night on my boat, camping, etc.

For the same reason I have a lift, I don't intend to do anything bad with it, just another cool toy that's nice to have but not necessary to have.

Thanks for diagram! I'll check it out!
In my younger days I might have done something illegal with them... then again it's illegal to do that here too...

Old 12-13-2010, 12:32 AM
FreeDevin
Senior User
The diagrams were super helpful! The green wire coming from the brake pedal position switch is the correct one.