1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Upgrade 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Cryobossman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Upgrade 6.0

Hi all,

I have a 2009 6.0 E350 just purchased from Ryder. I have read about and seen the horrors on TV about the EGR failures. Dose anyone know if my truck is one of those affected or has Ford fixed the issue by the time mine was built? The mileage is 158K.

Thanks,

Cryobossman:

Last edited by Cryobossman; 12-21-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the mileage.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM
NobleX13
New User
Any truck equipped with an EGR system can potentially experience a failure. That being said, the later model year trucks experience a much lesser failure rate in my experience. Each truck is different and it can come down to the luck of the draw.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM
PAf250
Senior User
That isn't really true from what I know. The earlier round EGR coolers had a better record then the later square ones. You most likely have the newer square one.

If you keep track of the ECT and EOT and replace the oil cooler before the temp difference exceeds 15 degrees the factory EGR cooler may last a long time.

If you don't keep track, or the temp difference starts to exceed 15 degrees while riding down the road at 65 mph you are most likely going to have an EGR cooler failure. When you get here you will need a new oil cooler and an EGR cooler/ EGR delete kit.

If you are going to repace the oil cooler get one from Bullet Proof Diesel.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Cryobossman
New User
EGR Upgrade 6.0

Thanks guys! I am new to diesel and don't know what the ECT and EOT represent. Also, can you tell me how to monitor these? What should the cost be to have the oil cooler and EGR delete done in a shop?

Thanks Again,
Dick

Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
here you go, the only OEM replacement bulletproff stuff

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0

Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 PM
rray32539
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cryobossman
Thanks guys! I am new to diesel and don't know what the ECT and EOT represent. Also, can you tell me how to monitor these? What should the cost be to have the oil cooler and EGR delete done in a shop?

Thanks Again,
Dick
ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature
EOT = Engine Oil Temperature

The delta, or difference between the two temperatures should be no more than 15 degrees when the van is operated at normal highway speeds and level road.

You can monitor both with something such as a ScanGauge II, available online and at places like Advance Auto and Auto Zone.

The 6.0 is slightly detuned in the E-series vans, so they don't experience some of the extremes that pickup owners experience. But EGR cooler failures are not unheard of in the vans. Getting to the oil cooler and EGR cooler involves taking out the turbo and other parts. The big cost is labor, not parts.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Cryobossman
New User
EGR Upgrade 6.0

Thanks guys, I will look into your recommendations. As for the type of driving I will be doing mostly will be local but occasionally going from Lexington, Ky. to Newark, Delaware through the mountains of Wv. and Maryland. Would it make sense to monitor the two temps and if they are getting far apart to slow down or stop for a while to cool down? or is it too late by then?

Dick

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember that the 15 degree delta is at speed on level road 65 mph no wind or temp extremes.
When you hit those long uphill grades and mountain passes that the engine may or will not maintain that 15 degree difference.
Keep your EOT under 230 degrees and the ECT below 220 - you can do that by keeping engine rpm at or under 2200 rpm which means that you will have to slow down on those hills.
If you see it going above those temps you might want to pull over and take a short break.

Of course there are those 6.0 owners that will tell you that you can exceed these numbers and that they have done so without harm to the engine. Don't do that.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Cryobossman
New User
EGR Upgrade 6.0

Thanks! Do you recommend shutting down the engine or just letting it idle for a while? I plan to buy a Scan Gauge II today so I can monitor the EOT and ECT.

I am an older fellow and have plenty of time and patience so it should not be a problem.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Normally I just shut it down around town.
But after a long uphill grade with real hot temps I'll let it idle for just an extra 20 seconds, maybe less after coming to a rest stop.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pacnorwest
Remember that the 15 degree delta is at speed on level road 65 mph no wind or temp extremes.
When you hit those long uphill grades and mountain passes that the engine may or will not maintain that 15 degree difference.
Keep your EOT under 230 degrees and the ECT below 220 - you can do that by keeping engine rpm at or under 2200 rpm which means that you will have to slow down on those hills.
If you see it going above those temps you might want to pull over and take a short break.

Of course there are those 6.0 owners that will tell you that you can exceed these numbers and that they have done so without harm to the engine. Don't do that.
No. The 15 degree delta is under load. The tsb says to drive the vehicle under wide open throttle/high load to achieve maximum boost. As far as keeping your EOT under 230 and ECT under 220, that is silly. The cooling fan does not fully lock in until 219 degrees.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 PM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
No. The 15 degree delta is under load. The tsb says to drive the vehicle under wide open throttle/high load to achieve maximum boost. As far as keeping your EOT under 230 and ECT under 220, that is silly. The cooling fan does not fully lock in until 219 degrees.
Quite hilarious! Love it!
Does the tsb recommend any particular dry lake test bed for running at wide open throttle?

Elsewhere on this somewhat informative forum you should read:
Recommended Reading
I think it answers some of the OP questions and more.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Cryobossman
New User
EGR Upgrade 6.0

Wow, lots of different thoughts! I appreciate all of your input and am somewhat confused but will take all into consideration. I wonder if I did the right thing by buying this rig!

Seems like no one likes to work on the vans! Can't blame them for that I guess but there are a lot of them out there. Maybe that's why Ford stopped offering the diesel in them.

I just ordered the Scangauge II from Amazon so we will see what happens when I get it in and working.

Merry Christmas to you all! I will keep posting.

Thanks,

Dick

Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by pacnorwest
Quite hilarious! Love it!
Does the tsb recommend any particular dry lake test bed for running at wide open throttle?

Elsewhere on this somewhat informative forum you should read:
Recommended Reading
I think it answers some of the OP questions and more.
I'll agree the newer TSB in regards to oil cooler testing is extremely vague in what they are referencing in going WOT and taking a reading... I do see their point.

The older TSB referenced holding 65mph for a certain distance (6 miles?) and the temp difference should be no more than 25 degrees. Then the newer TSB came out and referenced the above 15 degree at WOT.

FWIW I see 0-2 putzing around town. 2-4 45-55 mph, around 6 @ 65mph and 6-9 at a steady 75-80 mph.

Josh

Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 PM
rray32539
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cryobossman
Wow, lots of different thoughts! I appreciate all of your input and am somewhat confused but will take all into consideration. I wonder if I did the right thing by buying this rig!

Seems like no one likes to work on the vans! Can't blame them for that I guess but there are a lot of them out there. Maybe that's why Ford stopped offering the diesel in them.

I just ordered the Scangauge II from Amazon so we will see what happens when I get it in and working.

Merry Christmas to you all! I will keep posting.

Thanks,

Dick
The only reason Ford quit putting diesels in E-series vans is that the 6.4 wouldn't fit, and the development required to put the 6.7 in a van that was on its way out of production didn't justify the cost.

The E-series replacement, the Ford Transit, will have diesel power as an option.

Quick Reply: EGR Upgrade 6.0