Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'55 f100 6 volt wipers

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Daddyo's garage
Senior User
Daddyo's garage is starting off with a positive reputation.
'55 f100 6 volt wipers

My truck has a 6 vollt wiper motor, based on the label on the motor. It also has what appears to be a small volt drop on the switch. (Looks like a small metal cube shaped case.) When I connect power to the switch, I get power at ALL of the terminals on the back of the switch. Doesn't matter what position the switch is in. Any ideas what the heck is going on? Is the motor shorted out somehow? I'm open to any suggestions.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
It's one of two things: Either you have the power wire hooked up to the wrong terminal, or the parking shunt inside the switch has frozen (or more likely with the voltage reducer welded itself) closed and is shorted out inside.

Wipers are one of the most unforgiving components to try to reduce to 6 volt on a 12 volt system.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the best course of action would be to convert to 12 volt wipers and be certain to install a switch that is made for your wipers. There are lots of 12 volt replacement set ups available for Effies!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Daddyo's garage
Senior User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 View Post
It's one of two things: Either you have the power wire hooked up to the wrong terminal, or the parking shunt inside the switch has frozen (or more likely with the voltage reducer welded itself) closed and is shorted out inside.

Wipers are one of the most unforgiving components to try to reduce to 6 volt on a 12 volt system.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the best course of action would be to convert to 12 volt wipers and be certain to install a switch that is made for your wipers. There are lots of 12 volt replacement set ups available for Effies!
Ok Julie, I understand that changing the system is the best answer. Is there a way to convert to 12 volt without spending $100-$200 bucks on a complete system? All I need is the motor and a switch. Everything I come up with on a search is a complete system to replace the old vacuum driven wipers. I don't see the need to replace the entire system. I've been down this road with my heater core. The usual suspects want $150 or more for a F100 heater core. I bought mine for $24.95 at the local auto parts store and changed the location of the tubes with a bit of time and solder. So I know there are more sensible ways to do these things. I just requires a little thought and some help from folks like yourself who can think outside of the box!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, I'm not sure. There are some Jeep motors that will physically fit in the space. And since you can modify stustuff you could probably swap out the actuation arms between the two motors.

I understand restoration on a budget. But, I have the tendancy with electrical stuff to always buy new because the problems used electrical stuff can cause. So for me $150 for a reliable wiped replacement motor is a good deal. I don't want to have to fight to replace that thing again. The time, effort and reliability are worth the cosat of new for me.

But I'm sure some of the other guys have put in substitutions and will come on soon.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
larryb346
Elder User
larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm sure someone will wander around later but I am pretty sure the wiper off a later (like 60) bigger truck will bolt onto your system, and be 12 volts.
Larry

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Daddyo's garage
Senior User
I hear what you're saying! But often there is a part that is dang near a bolt in replacement! And it almost always ends up being half of the price. The only trick is finding out what will fit. And someone somewhere is bound to have figured it out since 1955. I mean, really, how often do you have to replace a wiper motor? When that time comes, it will still be a pain in the butt anyway!

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 View Post
Well, I'm not sure. There are some Jeep motors that will physically fit in the space. And since you can modify stustuff you could probably swap out the actuation arms between the two motors.

I understand restoration on a budget. But, I have the tendancy with electrical stuff to always buy new because the problems used electrical stuff can cause. So for me $150 for a reliable wiped replacement motor is a good deal. I don't want to have to fight to replace that thing again. The time, effort and reliability are worth the cosat of new for me.

But I'm sure some of the other guys have put in substitutions and will come on soon.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 AM
t900enforcer
Junior User
t900enforcer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same dilemma and was convinced I did not want to spend $100-$200 for a new wiper setup. I cruised the web looking for a cheap motor that had the proper orientation and figured I could make it fit. Ultimately I bought a wiper motor from a person selling off excess stock. I ended up with a motor from a 2002 Saturn and a Cole Hersey switch that I bought from a marine supply company. The motor cost around $20 and the switch was a little more that $20. I modified the mounting bracket and installed it in the truck and it has been worming great for 4 years. I did not take any pictures of the mechanical setup but the wiring diagrams for the motor and switch are in my gallery.

Good Luck