Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 F-1 Clutch Question

Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 AM
CHIEFEAVES
Senior User
CHIEFEAVES is starting off with a positive reputation.
1951 F-1 Clutch Question

I have the V-8 flat head and 3 speed on the steering column. Was driving the truck when rebuilt motor about 18 years ago. However, it sit in the yard of the mechanic until recently when I brought it home and begin restoring it. Had to pull it home in that brakes were locked up. I have it on blocks with wheels off now. Engine runs great, but will not go any of the gears while cranked. All I get is a growling noise. Is the clutch stuck to pressure plate? What should I do to correct the problem. Thanks for your assistance. Harley

Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by CHIEFEAVES View Post
I have the V-8 flat head and 3 speed on the steering column. Was driving the truck when rebuilt motor about 18 years ago. However, it sit in the yard of the mechanic until recently when I brought it home and begin restoring it. Had to pull it home in that brakes were locked up. I have it on blocks with wheels off now. Engine runs great, but will not go any of the gears while cranked. All I get is a growling noise. Is the clutch stuck to pressure plate? What should I do to correct the problem. Thanks for your assistance. Harley
Can you get it into gear with the engine off? (iow is the transmission ok). Is the clutch properly adjusted?

The whole assembly might be stuck together in there, but more likely, the throw out bearing is completely shot and is too loose to lift the pressure plate tines.

I have to wonder why a good running truck sat for 18 years? This problem may have happened to cause that.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
CHIEFEAVES
Senior User
Well Julie, First, why so long: I can not blame anyone except myself. I bought the truck in 1991 while living in AL. This year model was what I cut my teenage teeth on, if you know what I mean. Sense I have no mechanical expierence, I brought it to MS to let a neighbor go through all the mechanical parts. He rebuilt the engine, steering, brakes, and begin to install new wiring harness, but got occupied on something else and never finished. After I retired and came home, he would tell me that he was going to get right back on it. Being a neighbor and trusting everyone, I kept waiting. Finally, the 4th of Jul 2010, I told him that I was bring it home and try to finish it myself or I would never get to drive it. I have removed all metal, glass and wheels to clean and sandblast. Used a wire brush on heavy grinder and removed all paint from cab and have it primed. Have the wheels and engine compartment painted. With your help have the connected or identified to connect.
Second: It feels like the lever is in the location to be in gear, however, you can crank it in gear and still the wheels will not turn. If you engage the clutch while engine running, you can move the lever, but when you try to disengage the clutch, it start to chatter.
Not sure if this makes sense.
To keep the record straight, I have no body repair experience either. That ensures you fine people the opportunity to answer so more question as I hopefully progess. Harley

Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Is this a column shifter (light duty trans) or floor shift (medium duty trans)? If it's column shift, there are all kinds of possibilities. But it sounds more like a clutch problem. There is a small plate on the top of the bellhousing that you can look thru to watch the clutch operate. You'll have to lay on your belly while someone else works the clutch (may need to remove the seat first). Try it with the engine off first, see if anything is even moving.

Pulling the tranny out is about an hour job, and well worth the trouble. That includes removing the seat, the trans cover (floor plate), disconnecting the shifter rods and clutch linkage. You might want to drain the oil to reduce the chance of 90 wt spilling in the interior. The rear mount bolts are sometimes tough; you need to remove the two to the trans and the two to the frame, and take the rubber mount out of the way. The trans weighs about 75 pounds, I usually just "man up" and wrap a rope or sling around it, and pull it up and out. You could use an engine hoist (cherry picker).

Just look the clutch over before you disassemble it. Are the three fingers all the same height? Is the release bearing wobbly or stuck? If nothing obvious, you've got little to lose to just take it off and check the condition of the flywheel, disc, and pilot bearing. It could all just be rusty and not moving freely.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
CHIEFEAVES
Senior User
Ross it is the light duty. Your how to info is greatly appreciated. I assume that if it is stuck, I will have to remove it to correct the problem. In that is the case, I will replace bearings if needed while it is out. Thanks for sharing this info. I will post the results, may be after Christmas. Harley

Old 12-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
It almost sounds as though it's not going completely into gear to me - or, the first and reverse gear has gotten eaten!

Silly question, but does it do this only when you try and put it into first or reverse? IOW will it do the same thing when you try to put it in second or third? (that could be a first gear problem or a shift rod adjustment proplem on the first/reverse gear or shift).

I agree with Ross though, it would probably be a good idea to pall it apart and take a look at it - both clutch and transmission.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
nicpapageorgio
New User
nicpapageorgio is starting off with a positive reputation.
This might sound crazy but it has worked for me when the clutch was stuck to the pressure plate on my 50 ford truck. Put the rear axle up on some good jack stands with the rear tires off the ground a couple of inches, put the transmission in any of the gears (you ay have to try a few different gears to get the ratio right). You will also have to install a piece of wood to hold the clutch down to the floor or have a friend inside holding the clutch pedal to the floor, then sit on a milk crate with the rear tire in front of you and grab the rear tire and keep turning it back and forth real hard. I was able to break the clutch free in a few minutes of doing this. I know its a little nuts but it was better than pulling the tranny and I have done this succesfully to (2) old flathead ford trucks as I had a couple trucks that sat for a while before I put them back on the road.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM
sawmillman
Freshman User
sawmillman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does it feel like it is going into a gear? If the linkage grommets are badly worn, it can hang up in two gears at one time. This would keep you from letting out the clutch and getting the truck to move. I had to slide up under the truck and pull down on one of the linkage to get it out of one gear so it could be shifted. Just a thought. Good luck.