Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT- Need advise on GPS units

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT- Need advise on GPS units

If we can even afford to exchange gifts this year, the eife and I both figured that with delivering trailers and such I should get a GPS- cause printed directions can only getyou so far if you're lost! So what do you folks that have them recommend, and where do you mount them? Like I said I ain't Trump, so that slick voice command slide outta the dash unit ain't gonna work for me. Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 AM
armstrongfordtrucks
Elder User
Gamin Garmin Garmin IMO. I have the Garmin Nuvi 765T. Will take you anywhere easily. It even has lane assist. Read up on it. I also recommend if you have the funds Phantom alert. It downloads in to the Garmin with things such as speed traps, cameras, RXR crossings, dangerous intersections, school zones. I'm on the road everyday, I could not live without both of them. When you are traveling in the dark on road unknown to you this is very helpful. Ever been traveling 55 on a road and realize you're in a 15 mph school zone ! check it out.

Have a great holiday.
armstrong

Old 12-11-2010, 05:13 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan asked the same question Danny - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...on-device.html Hope it helps.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:11 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
FWIW, I bought my brother a Magellan 1424 NAV for Christmas this year. We had to go pick up my new horse on Black Friday, swooped into ShopKo on the way out there and picked it up for $79 (on sale from $299). I gave it to my brother early since he was visiting from NH. He says it's great w/o lag.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by maevans
Dan asked the same question Danny - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...on-device.html Hope it helps.
I ended up buying a Garmin Nuvi 1450.
It works very well.
The fun part about it, you can download some software that allows you to record the turn by turn instructions with your voice or whoever you want and then transfer them to the device.
I had the kids all take turns recording the instructions.
One of them is a riot, Devin put on his best Arnold Shwartznegger voice.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I have the Nuvi 750. It works well for me and she keeps me awake at night. lol

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using Garmin GPS units for a few years and they do great. I prefer the widescreen units, and just updated both of them with the latest maps & firmware so they're current with the latest available data. It took a bit but other than my internet connection my total cost for the upgrades = $0.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I use my Garmin 660 when I'm out of my home turf.

I found it very convenient to use when it is mounted right in front of the speedometer, about two inches behind the steering wheel. I can still see all my gauges. I use the GPS for speed anyway, as it's much more accurate. Located there, I find it very convenient to use, even when moving. It's not in my way, and easily viewable.

Here's how I made a small bracket to mount it in what I thought was exactly the right spot:
SpringerPop's Nuvi Mounting Bracket

Pop

Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
If you already have laptop, for $19 you can buy DeLorme antenna and software for it. Additional 20 bucks buys you phone/address book. That become very handy when my differential blow up in the unknown area and I had to look for car rental.
I love the big screen and programs, memories, search options, easy typing so much, that even driving car with factory GPS in it, I was still taking my laptop.
In the truck I keep the laptop on the top of cooler sitting in the center. Some friction mats keep it there. In car I installed special stand for it.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
garmin nuvi 765 is what i have and very happy so far. the lane assist is really helpful. the only think i dont like is the search feature does not tell you where diesel is available. i use the suction cup window mount and put it next to my gauges on the a pillar. i have been using my phone more which has good turn by turn directions. i think they sell a car mount and charger also. sprint evo phone.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
I have Garmin in a kenwood unit' and a Magellan, both have their strong and weak points. I do like them both and use them whenever I am traveling. The deciding factor is which vehicle I am driving.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Have to go with Garmin also. I would stay away from TomTom. Time and again I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but each time I try them they give horrid directions. I've seen reviews where the GPS told people to turn into the side of a cliff.

If I were you I would probably try to find a good deal on an old Garmin from Amazon or ebay. IMO, they are much more worth it than the new ones. I find newer ones to be lacking on important features but heavy on useless ones. Example, some of the newer ones have Lane Assist with Junction View, which shows you a picture of which lanes you're supposed to be in. IMO that should be self evident. Then in those same models, some of them don't have the ability to click on a road that is part of the route and tell the GPS to avoid it, or detour around it. The old models have MP3 players and FM modulators, the new models mostly have taken out that functionality in lieu of FM Traffic - the usefulness of which is dependent upon whether anybody is reporting traffic in that area. Besides, you can call 511 in Socal, although that system is pretty much trash too...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
My friend Tom had it mounted like this and I thought it was really handy so I copied it from him. You can easily see the GPS screen and it cleared up my windshield viewing area from another suction cup mount. Just got a piece of thick plastic and heated it up to bend it and spray painted it with some primer paint laying around. Pops mount looks damn good also......

Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

I have only used Garmin and have been very happy too!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Knoxentucky
Freshman User
Mongo, I also have a Garmin and it's good. However I just got a new phone--a Droid--and the gps function on the phone beats my Garmin hands down. It uses google maps and navigation. Always updated every time you turn it on. The Verizon dealer had a window suction mount that has worked well so far to mount the unit to your window. I have mine on the lower left windshield. So far I'm very impressed. My Garmin needs to be updated often with all the roadwork. So If you need a phone and use it for your e-mail maybe take a look and see if that would work for you. Good Luck, Tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT- Need advise on GPS units