Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96' F350 CREW 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' F350 CREW 4X4

Good morning all,

I have owned my truck since new and it is as mint as when it rolled off the lot. My kids are now grown and now I have some money to spend on myself. Since I now live in North Carolina where I don't have to worry about the "statey" pulling me over and measuring my bumper height like in Virginia, I want to lift the truck say 4 to 6 inches and also put an equally good suspension under it. I want to throw some money at my truck!

Can someone please recommend a good manufacturer that still does components or a group of components for my 96 F350?

Thanks guys. Also, if someone can recommend a descent shop in eastern NC, that would be most appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

Sid

Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a fan of lifts but Skyjacker does a kit for your truck, probably others as well. Try summitracing.com or stylntrucks.com for prices.
And how about throwing up some pics?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel or gas? I'd like to see some pictures of this truck. Welcome to FTE as well!

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...obeam-gas.html

Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
96' F350 4x4 crew

Thanks for the replies guys. Why are you not a fan of lifts may I ask? I am speaking of a suspension left when you replace leaf springs and stock shocks with others. Not just adding spacers to lift the body. How would you suggest getting the truck taller for increased travel without a lift? Not being a wise-***, I am just new. As far as pics, the truck is still up in VA not with me at the moment. I am going to bring it back down to NC in a couple of weeks over Xmas.

Thanks again for replying.

Sid

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Lift for my 96' GAS 4x4 F350

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Diesel or gas? I'd like to see some pictures of this truck. Welcome to FTE as well!

4" Ultra Lift Kit F350 4WD 1986-97 Monobeam Gas

Its a 7.5 liter 460 my friend. Thanks for the Superlift link too.

Sid

Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by cityjack
Thanks for the replies guys. Why are you not a fan of lifts may I ask? I am speaking of a suspension left when you replace leaf springs and stock shocks with others. Not just adding spacers to lift the body. How would you suggest getting the truck taller for increased travel without a lift? Not being a wise-***, I am just new. As far as pics, the truck is still up in VA not with me at the moment. I am going to bring it back down to NC in a couple of weeks over Xmas.

Thanks again for replying.

Sid
A suspension lift is the only way to get what you are looking for. There are lots of guys on here who just are not fans of lift kits because of the consequences of running them on your truck. Mostly, its because guys say the truck loses its practicality and costs more money to operate, as fuel mileage decreases and tires are more expensive. I, on the other hand am a big fan of lifts as I run them on all of my trucks, simply because I like the look. I am very supportive of what you are wanting to do. Your truck is the perfect canidate for a 4"-6" lift kit, I would not go higher than 6" as things do start to get costly and more complex. If I were you I would search the internet for a lift kit, but I would stay off ebay. Look for names you have heard of, superlift, skyjacker, BDS and so on. If you find a 6" lift kit for 300 bucks brand new, remember you get what you pay for and most likely you wont have everything you need and the springs will sag. Stick with a lift company that has been around for a while and whos product is proven. Make sure you get everything you need, not just half of it. Your truck being so long wont run into any driveline issues even at a 6" lift, which is what I would do. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your lifted truck, and welcome to NC... and FTE

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 AM
96f350az
Senior User
reverse shackle kit and flip kit. with an add a leaf.. theres your 4-6in..
this is what im doin but im gonna fab mine up and probly go 4in rsk. just google reverse shackle kit 96 f-350. if this is what you want.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by 96f350az
reverse shackle kit and flip kit. with an add a leaf.. theres your 4-6in..
this is what im doin but im gonna fab mine up and probly go 4in rsk. just google reverse shackle kit 96 f-350. if this is what you want.

This is a good point, I have both of these done to my truck and I didnt think to tell him to do it. Haha, probably because I was in the mindset that he wanted to buy a bolt on kit, and I made my Shackle Reversal as well. If he were to go with the SKY Reversal he would have 5" up front and the flip is 4.5 in the back. That is a cheaper solution and it will handle a whole lot better too.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
BDS makes some great stuff. And you cannot beat their warrantee. I ran their stuff on my old YJ and never had a complaint. Personally, I wouldn't go over 6" with the steering system with the TTB, you run into some issues over 4"

Old 12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by Samsonitesamsonite
BDS makes some great stuff. And you cannot beat their warrantee. I ran their stuff on my old YJ and never had a complaint. Personally, I wouldn't go over 6" with the steering system with the TTB, you run into some issues over 4"
I agree, but his truck is a 350, no TTB there. I had a 4" BDS lift on my 250 before I did the 60 swap.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
rockdawg84
Senior User
Originally Posted by Samsonitesamsonite
I wouldn't go over 6" with the steering system with the TTB, you run into some issues over 4"

He should have a Dana 60 up front on a 1ton not TTB

Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
Originally Posted by rockdawg84
He should have a Dana 60 up front on a 1ton not TTB
Wasn't thinking there.....

Since it's leaf springs all around I would most definitley go with BDS or Deaver springs, you could even custom order some really nice Alcans.....

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
96' 1 ton 4x4 crew F350

There we go,

I knew if I waited long enough and hit the right forum the knowledge would just ooze. Thanks a ton guys. I have no problem with doing my own work and have a garage to do it as well. I just figured cuz the truck is darn big and heavy and with wanting to lift it say 4 or 6", I must certainly get someone to do it for me. especially if there is a risk of screwing something up. thats the last thing I want to do is mess with my baby. I hate to sound like a d**k, money isn't a huge issue since my kiddy's are now grown and now its MY time to play.

BDS huh? The one thing I DON'T want is for my truck to be lifted and the thing to run down the road listing to one side or the other or higher in the front or in the back. I have seen those lift jobs and those trucks are a joke. If I am going to do this, I want it right and BAD *** the first time. What is the TTB you are referring to? Forgive my naiveness. These Deaver springs you speak of, is that a kit or just springs I need to order and add to someone elses kit? Alcans? I kind of like the idea of ordering a complete kit, that way I know I am getting excatly and all of what I need and I can ask a human at a tech support line what it is I need. Where I am right now and I haven't been here long. I do not know any small shops and do not trust the large ones to do right by me. Much less tell me all the cool things I can do...ie Deaver or Alcans. With me going to 6 " on my long *** truck, will I need to mess with the drive shafts, length or angle or is that all accounted for in the all encompassing kit?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but you guys ARE my small shop. I'd much rather come here than go to a "Truckers Toy Store".

Thanks guys for your help and time. I promise when I go home in a couple weeks, I'll take pics.

I'm out!

Sid

Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Sid your truck will look sharp. Like said above stick with the Name Brands. If you can wrench then do it yourself.

I enjoy my projects more when I did them myself.

Something to think about is your axle gears too. Lifted truck means bigger tires. So add gears to the equation.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
Since you want a Kit, go with BDS, they are spendy, but you will NOT be disappointed. Besides they have the best warranty in the business. I would also recommend replacing your shackles with greasable shackles, they improve ride quality and suspension flex.

TTB was ford excuse for an early IFS.

Deaver and Alcan are some of the best springs out there, because you have them custom built to your needs, however they are not a kit.

Drive-shafts..... In all honesty you will just have to lift it and see. With the long wheel you have you shouldn't have to worry about angles. Length on the other hand may be an issue. The front DS MIGHT have a slight angle issue, but most DS shops can fix those slight angle problems with a well built shaft.

Are you planning on a re-gear along with your new tires as well?

Edit:

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...-1996&kid=308H

That is a link to the F350 lift, BDS doesn't make a 6".... A lot of money, and more if you actually want leaf's in the back and not blocks.... But most definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: 96' F350 CREW 4X4