2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on true dual exhaust size

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on true dual exhaust size

So I'm asking Santa for true dual exhaust on my 2005 5.4 Supercrew 4x4. I'm thinking of going with 24" Magnaflows, because I don't want it loud, just a rumble, and having a local shop weld it all up. My question is what diameter pipe should I go with? I know that the bigger the pipe the deeper the sound, which is what I want, but I'm also very concerned about losing low end torque from having too much flow. So what do you guys think I should go with? 2? 2.25? 2.5 just seems way to big for a completely unmodified engine. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you'd be good with 2.5" pipes. That should keep enough back pressure on it to keep your low end torque happy, but should also allow for a good throaty tone and the flow that you're in search of.
I just checked Magnaflow's site, and they too are using 2.5" pipes on their cat back systems.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I think you'd be good with 2.5" pipes. That should keep enough back pressure on it to keep your low end torque happy, but should also allow for a good throaty tone and the flow that you're in search of.
I just checked Magnaflow's site, and they too are using 2.5" pipes on their cat back systems.
Thanks for the reply. I saw that on their website as well, but I think none of theirs are true dual setups, they all start after the y pipe and split again at the muffler. My thinking is that the single pipe, however big it is stock, between the y and the muffler would give you the required back pressure, regardless of the pipe diameter after the muffler. But I don't know much about this stuff, which is why I'm calling for help.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
So is your plan to terminate the factory exhaust right after each cat, and then fab up from there?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
So is your plan to terminate the factory exhaust right after each cat, and then fab up from there?
I think so. After pricing things I could either get a SISO catback from Magnaflow, or a true dual setup with Magnaflow mufflers for close to the same price or even a little cheaper at a local shop. I'm not dead set on true dual either, I just thought that since I was having the work done by a shop, I'd get the "better" setup.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
"Better" is relative. Is the shop going to use aluminized pipes or stainless steel? Seeing that you're in UT, I would think that you'd want to stay away from aluminized.
Also, the MF pipes will be mandrel bent. Is your shop using a conventional pipe bender, or mandrel pipes?
Just something else to ask the shop, if you haven't already.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Brack1
Junior User
I actually haven't called just yet, I wanted to get an idea of size before getting a quote. But I've got a call in now, he's calling me back with a quote in 20 minutes, so far he's talking about doing a standard dual after the y pipe setup. Says that it's hard to make things work around the transfer case. So we'll see I guess. I'm open to anything, the only things I have set in stone are that it needs to be a big magnaflow muffler and stainless steel.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Good grief, just got off the phone with the shop. They won't do true duals because it's too hard, they'll either do SI/SO or SI/DO catback, they only offer aluminzed, mandrel bent pipes and will charge me around $350 or $550 for the respective Magnaflow systems. Does that sound right?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Personally, I would walk. You get a good amount of snow and ice in UT right? The road salt/chemicals does some serious damage on anything other than SS. My aluminized pipes on my previous Explorer last 7 years here in VA, and we only get salt treats one week out of the year, normally.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Turns out that it's kind of hard to get stainless steel around these parts. And the prices are higher than I thought. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll just have to wait for a killer deal on a Magnaflow catback system and install it myself.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
Check out the Banks cat back system also. I got one last year and it is all stainless and pre-welded from Banks. Now it is SISO and I kept the same exit point as the factory tip but it also comes with a 2.5 inch system with a huge chrome tip.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Brack1
Junior User
I thinking that the best route is going to be buying a 22" or 24" Magnaflow and have a shop weld it in. That way I keep my perfect condition factory stainless steel, mandrel bent tailpipe and get the better flow/sound for cheap. I'm going down to the shop now so they can see what style of muffler to order. I'll report back.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
that should save alot of money and it wont be loud. myself, i like it to turn heads when im getting on it. if you keep a single stock pipe out the rear and only change the muffler, your going to want to go with a loud muffler because that system is going to quiet it down alot. i have an edelbrock SDT dual exhaust and i got it off ebay shipped to me for $200. i put it on myself and after about 2 months of driving it started to get its tone and sounds good now.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
oh yeah in my area $375 is a good price for a flowmaster catback installed, the high side is $500 or so but this is not SS

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Brack1
Junior User
Spoke to a couple of shops. I can buy a 22" Maggie muffler (12577) for like $80 off of the interwebs and have it welded up for around $65. So much cheaper than any other option and most of the benefit. Thanks for all your input guys. As soon as I get it done, I'll post a video or something.

Quick Reply: Question on true dual exhaust size