Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

MII front sway bar

Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
not sure I understand the last part.

when the control arm rises, the sway bar should rotate on the mounts on the chassis. the control arm should be going straight up and down.

I think u said its like two circles touching and separating, as the arm goes up, it also moves toward the back.. and as the sway bar comes up the hole in the sway bar arm goes forward..

the sway bar arm seems pretty short to have this affect appear.. but you may be able to deal with it by putting in an end link rod between the two. the rod can lean on its rubber mounts..

Sam

Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Indeed it matter what size the bar is (what vehicle it came off of if recycled) You want one that came from or is meant for a vehicle with similar front end weight. The desired size bar is also determined by if the vehicle has a rear bar and it's size. It's a balancing act that has no easily direct determination. Too much front bar compared to rear and the vehicle will plow badly, too little and the rear becomes tail happy.

Doing a quick search on Summit Racing I got 186 hits for swaybar/Ford/mustang.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
2losteve
Senior User
2losteve is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think u said its like two circles touching and separating, as the arm goes up, it also moves toward the back.. and as the sway bar comes up the hole in the sway bar arm goes forward..
This is correct; with the air out of the bags, the distance between the control arm mount & the sway bar link is around 4 inches. This is a front mounted sway bar.
the sway bar arm seems pretty short to have this affect appear.. but you may be able to deal with it by putting in an end link rod between the two. the rod can lean on its rubber mounts..
I have the end link rod and it has a heim joint on one end and the 'red' poly bushings on the other end which aren't very giving. I may end up putting a heim joint on that end also. I'll see if I have a photo or 2.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM
2losteve
Senior User
I only have a photo with the susp. at 'ride height' but it might give a better idea of what I speaketh.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:16 AM
keisha9
Senior User
keisha9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2losteve....are those bags suppose to be curving like that?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 AM
2losteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by keisha9 View Post
2losteve....are those bags suppose to be curving like that?
I doubt it but with my inability to have civil interaction with the owner/designer at No Limit Engineering on other matters (the sway bar for one) I'm just going to have to try it and see how they work.
BTW, I really like the way your truck sits!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 AM
keisha9
Senior User
is the sway bar working good ? did they weld that peice of metal to the upper a-arm or bolt it on? Mike

Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
2losteve
Senior User
No, not yet. I have to do some of my own 'engineering'. When he sold me the kit he gave me explicit directions on how to install it, which is the way you see it in the photo. I fabbed a better bracket to install on the A-arm, but then decided to see how it would work when 'dropped' as I said earlier. So I went back to No Limit and he insulted me on my 'not being a real hot rodder' because 'I' needed to work it out. That's where it stands right now.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 AM
keisha9
Senior User
damn sorry bro, that sux he insulted you . it sounds like your stepping in the right direction though because you want to make your own fabrication thats better.. im in the same boat but im starting from scratch with no sway bar yet...good luck , im interested to see how it goes for you..mike

Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
2losteve
Senior User
Mike, part of the reason that I posted my dilema was to see if you had noticed the way a sway bar rises in relation to the control arm mount. It's not much of an issue on conventionally sprung front ends, but not so with air bags, apparently. Hope that you also come up with a solution.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM
keisha9
Senior User
if im understanding you correctly..when u drop your truck, the sway bar (where it connects to your a arm) goes up WITH the a-arm and makes for a odd angle at the poly bushing? or is it something else that is the issue?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Yep, that's pretty much what the situation is. I don't know if the poly bushings can take that kind of angle.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
keisha9
Senior User
ok, gotcha....well your not driving the truck dropped with the angle severe so thats a plus. but i see your concern anyways. a heim joint / end link seems to be a better idea like you stated earlier...i will remember this when I do my sway bar set-up....so you haven't you been driving the truck yet with the sway bar?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM
2losteve
Senior User
No, it's still aways from being a driver.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I'd be more concerned that the rod inside is contacting the sides of the hole than with the poly bushings. They should handle the angle if not too stiff and you don't park it dropped for long times. If concerned, switch to rubber bushings. And check the link without the bushings to be sure it isn't binding in the hole. Not sure how you will use a heim link at the bar unless you come up with some sort of rt angle adapter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MII front sway bar

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.