Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Can you determine what test numbers it will do in mode 6?
The one you need is test 53.
These designations we are using are FORD specific.
In FORD documentation they look like this.
J1979 Mode $06.
Test ID $53.
Comp ID $00-$0A.
For short we say mode 6, test 53, cylinders 0 to 4, 0 to 6, 0 to 8 or 0 to 10 for the number of cylinders the motor has.
The designation of J1979 is the communications protocol Ford uses.
When you plug the Scanner in and turn the key to on, the scanner checks on and sets to this protocol when the match is found..
From there you use your scanner control keys to step to the different sections and tests.
Some functions may require the key to be pressed for several seconds to tell the scanner what you want to do.
Also be a where that some data you might want to see takes some time to gather and down load to the scanner.
The reason is the PCM runs on a processor and needs a fractional amount of time to recognize your request as well as the scanner processor has one that is much slower and needs time to load each data stream either full time or to scanner memory for your selection..
When using he scanner take care not to 'unintentionally' do a clear function.
If you do you likely would lose the monitor counts as this drives the PCM into full diagnostics of all systems and clears memory.
Good luck.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
traildad
Freshman User
traildad is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I am reading it right the 25 PID choices is how this scanner selects them. It is somewhat cryptic but I can read some of them like idle speed. Those 25 choices for live data seem to be the only place in the scanner that could possibly have the test. I am going to send it back.

Can you recommend any other scanners that do cylinder misfire? I can order the Sears scanner assuming what they sell now still works the same as yours. Can you describe a button press sequence to get it to display misfire info? Thanks for your help. Ken

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
drogrs8455
New User
drogrs8455 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bluegrass - Thanks for all the good info on my V6. You are a mainstay on this web site. Sure hope nobody unsets you. Anyway thanks again.

Doug

Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 PM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by traildad View Post
I suppose I should be sure of what I have. The description I see online says my scanner has OBD2 Scan Tool Functions OBD2-All Modes 1-10.
The 3130 will display Mode $06 data, but ONLY for Non-Continuous Monitors. The Mis-fire Monitor is considered a CONTINUOUS Monitor.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM
traildad
Freshman User
Ok I got the sears scanner. I hope I have it right now. The mode $ numbers/test numbers may not be written exactly as described but I think it is what I want. It has test ID $53 module $10. That brings up 8 screens to view which I assume is one for each cylinder. All the screens show zero except #5 so I assume my problem is with cylinder #5. I will attach two photos of the screens showing the differing results. Thanks again.

Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  68.3 KB

Last edited by traildad; 11-17-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
That Sears scan tool is displaying the test results in hexadecimal. It shows the maximum allowed misfires is $03D7 (hexidecimal) which is 983 decimal. Multiply that by .000015 and then multiply that result by 100 to convert it to a percentage and you get a maximum allowable Type A Misfire rate of 1.4745%.
Cylinder #5's actual test result value is $0439 (hexadecimal) which is 1081 (decimal) times .000015 times 100 equals 1.6215% misfires. It exceeds the maximum value of 1.4745% so the CEL will illuminate and set code P0305.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM
traildad
Freshman User
Except the cel does not illuminate. At least it sounds like you agree that this is showing me which cylinder is the problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You got it right.
This mode will tell you about misfires before a CEL is set.
My bet is placed on the coil.
WHY: The coil very likely has shorted turns.
The PCM does not directly see this as component fault but you see it as a drivability issue and from mode 6 monitors.
The tip off is when it happens then disappears until the same operating conditions are entered into again.
The reason this happens is the EGR system opens and leans the air/fuel ratio.
When this happens the coil's output voltage is too low to reliably fire the lean mixture that results from EGR operation so you get the studder effect of one cylinder misfire.
Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
traildad
Freshman User
Does the coil cause the problem at 45-50 and also at idle. My problem is intermittent, sometimes a little, sometimes severe, at idle or at speed. I will check it out and see what happens.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Shorted turns is the results of heating and cooling cycles.
If severe enough the output can be low enough to cause misfire in third and at acceleration from a stop.
The wire is enamel covered and is all that separates one turn from another and can wear through from expansion and contraction.
The shorted turns has lowering effect on the magnetic field that builds around the core that generates the high voltage when current is interrupted.
by the PCM driver.
Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM
traildad
Freshman User
Ok thanks. I will probably need to look up rough idle next because it has a problem at idle as well. I will resolve the misfire and see what happens. Thanks again. Ken

Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
RED01SUPERCREW
New User
RED01SUPERCREW is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem as the others on this thread. Idles great, takes off ok, but around 50 MPH it likes to hiccup pretty bad. Does it off and on. So, I want to thank my fellow Ford owners on here for this thread and all the info. When I get home from Korea in a month I know what Im doing......the coil-pack shuffle !

Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM
traildad
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RED01SUPERCREW View Post
I have the same problem as the others on this thread. Idles great, takes off ok, but around 50 MPH it likes to hiccup pretty bad. Does it off and on. So, I want to thank my fellow Ford owners on here for this thread and all the info. When I get home from Korea in a month I know what Im doing......the coil-pack shuffle !
I got the sears scanner and it told me which coil to replace. I was afraid if there were more than one bad coil it would be more difficult to figure it out. Plus I would have to keep taking the fuel rail off the injectors. I just replaced the coil and so far the misfire count is zero. Since the problem is intermittent, I don't know if I can be sure it is fixed yet or not.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
RED01SUPERCREW
New User
RED01SUPERCREW is starting off with a positive reputation.
What brand of coils are you guys using when you replace them? I was thinking of going with the Delphi coils from RockAuto. I'm thinking of going with doing all 8 at once, so the whole thing will run me about $250. What do you think, is Delphi Good To Go? Are they made in the States or at least Canada? Should I cough up another $100 for the Motorcraft? I don't want China crap on my truck.....Straight up NO-GO in my book.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
traildad
Freshman User
I can't answer that one. A friend had done this job before and got a set so he had some left over. I used one of his and I'm not sure which it was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.