1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty wake up. FIRE!!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Hope things turn out for you and keep us informed on the progress.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
KJG20036.0
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it is hard to say.... But I had an old pickup of mine burn one time and I was told by a police officer, that is why you have insurance stay away from the flames... The truck can be replaced, you cannot. Although, not going to say I wouldn't do exactly as the OP did water on the house, Truckless and homeless are two very different things. There are many many things in a home that insurance cannot replace.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
loganworks
Senior User
Fire in any type of truck or car is extremely hard to put out without large amounts of water or foam. I know this first hand as a firefighter. I have personally had this happen to a 1990 GMC diesel. I arrived home from work and after getting out of the truck smelled something as I went around the front. I went right back and popped the hood and the firewall was on fire. By the time I got out my 30# extinguisher It was going fast, even with that extinguisher I could not put it out totally. The guy by the highway had the right idea stand back and stay out of harms reach. The smoke from that fire has so many toxins in it that one breath could and has on occasion killed. Even in full fire gear I have been burned by hot fluids being expelled from a burning vehicle.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
What is the BEST/most capable Fire extinguisher to keep in vehicle or in bed(secured)?
In IL, as per our Safety inspection, we have to carry one.
I want to know how big/functional(ABC) everybody has in their own trucks for this exact reason.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
SD-Dude
Senior User
and for all you guys with extinguishers...were do you keep them? this thread has made me wana get one even more , just not sure were the best place to keep one on a crew-cab is

Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Is sure sound like old leaking cruise control switch. Brake fuild leaks out on a hot sureface and slowly starts to burn. I had a 2000 with that problem. Never caught fire but there were enough for Ford to issue a recall.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SD-Dude
and for all you guys with extinguishers...were do you keep them? this thread has made me wana get one even more , just not sure were the best place to keep one on a crew-cab is
My dad keeps his in back of the seat in his CC. I figure on mounting one under the rear seat of my SC. Drivers side of course. I figure the most likely place for a fire to start would be towards the front of the truck. I think I'll pick up the same fire ext I use on my boats.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread makes me wanna get extingusihers to. How much do they cost? And where would yall get mounts?

To the OP, sorry to hear about your rig! It seems that you invested alot (with the bumper etc). Hope you get all of that back.. But the important thing is your house is standing and no ones hurt!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
I didn't remember the video from last night of the guy watching his truck burn. I thought you were refering to the op. Kinda felt like you were kicking a guy when he was down. Sorry pop didn't mean to make a such a jab at ya now that I know what you were refering to.
you were purty hard on pop, so take some of your own advise and try to comprehend what you are reading, it really isn't that hard.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
This thread makes me wanna get extinguishers to. How much do they cost? And where would you all get mounts?

To the OP, sorry to hear about your rig! It seems that you invested a lot (with the bumper etc). Hope you get all of that back.. But the important thing is your house is standing and no ones hurt!
You can get an extinguisher from almost any hardware store, giant box store, or industrial supply store. Look in the yellow pages for a fire supply store or a place that services and recharges extinguishers.

I would say everyone should have at a minimum one 5lb extinguisher in their vehicle and one in each level of house plus one in garage.

Make sure you get a heavy duty metal mounting bracket the ones that come with most smaller extinguishers are plastic or really cheap metal ones. Most often to get a good mounting bracket you have to buy it separately.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
you were purty hard on pop, so take some of your own advise and try to comprehend what you are reading, it really isn't that hard.
They already discussed it and apologies have been issued. All's well in FTE land.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wagion
You can get an extinguisher from almost any hardware store, giant box store, or industrial supply store. Look in the yellow pages for a fire supply store or a place that services and recharges extinguishers.

I would say everyone should have at a minimum one 5lb extinguisher in their vehicle and one in each level of house plus one in garage.

Make sure you get a heavy duty metal mounting bracket the ones that come with most smaller extinguishers are plastic or really cheap metal ones. Most often to get a good mounting bracket you have to buy it separately.
Ok, thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM
erniesshop
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SD-Dude

I have a 5# ABC within arms reach , With my seat belt on..........
And a 10# attached to my tool box in the Bed.........
the 5# is in case something happens and I can't get out ??

Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
As for the video I posted, it appears he pretty much had exhausted his fire fighting resources at the point where the video starts. If you notice a blue gallon bottle laying on the ground probably had anti-freeze or water in it.

As always you have determine the situation your in and what the consequences would be. I like the fact that nobody....stopped to help. It has made me think, would I carry a 5,10 or 15 pound extinguisher?

I had a small engine fire in a car once, water can be bad depending on what is on fire. If All I had was a water source for an Electrical or engine oil/gas/diesel fire under my hood, That truck is burning to ground.

Originally Posted by KJG20036.0
I know it is hard to say.... But I had an old pickup of mine burn one time and I was told by a police officer, that is why you have insurance stay away from the flames... The truck can be replaced, you cannot. Although, not going to say I wouldn't do exactly as the OP did water on the house, Truckless and homeless are two very different things. There are many many things in a home that insurance cannot replace.

Yup I have no problems letting it burn, I will always be able to pick up another later. Dieing or being Seriously Maimed/injured not worth it.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Jackemupjoe
Junior User
wow

sorry about your truck!!!! i had a truck fire on my way up north once from what i think was a ciggerette bud i flicked out the window on 75 my bed caught on fire and burned my rhino lining but fortunetly i had a fire ex in my truck. I built a box that goes under my seat in the back and mounted it to that works great and in arms reach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nasty wake up. FIRE!!!!