Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My son's a mechanical genius!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave and Dodge are absolutely right about the teachers! everyone and i mean everyone has teachers that he or she remembers from school! And the reason they remember them is because they left that class with something! that teacher left to them a lasting impression on whatever it may have been because they cared enough to (like dave said) "inspire" that student!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
The problems with teachers today isn't as much as the teachers is the "rules" they must follow so these kids get good test scores so the schools can collect money. Money doesn't make good grades but they will never get that. It's about personnel reputations that these school administrators strive for......I get frustrated with my sons school because of this stuff. I guess being older brings that out. Not too many parents at my sons elementary school with head and face full of gray hair....Age does make you look at things. A friend of mines son wants to be a "diesel" mechanic. He asked me for the my best piece of advise. I gave him a TM 9-8000, which is an old Military automotive manual. Actually the best book I have ever seen, bar none, to teach somebody the basics. I also reminded him he has two ears and one mouth. He thought about that for a minute and he grinned at me. He got it.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
ah1988
Senior User
where can you buy the TM 9-8000 book you were talking about i would love to get it but i couldnt find it, any clues where to get it ?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
E BAY for about 20 bucks

Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
ah1988
Senior User
THANKS I AM SO GETTING THAT !

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
If you want to know the theory and operation of things which is a requirement to be a good mechanic then that is the book to start with. You will enjoy it.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
ah1988
Senior User
I want to be a diesel mechanic too, i like how it teaches you everything
it seems like once you read and understand the book you will be able to do pretty much anyhing. I found the table of contents onthe web and it is paked tight with info .

Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Pretty much everything is based off of those theories. They haven't changed much. If you understand how things work you will be able to figure a problem out. They have just thrown some wires on these engines today but they work the same. The best place to be is a class 8 truck dealer if there is one close to you. You will learn more at a dealer then anywhere. Just remember know body knows everything including yourself and never will. Try to figure things out on your own. You will learn it then. You won't learn much if somebody tells you everything to do all the time. In 25 years I still learn things all the time.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the best in depth books I have on engines is called "Internal combustion engines and air pollution" by Edward Obert. Some very in depth reading in that one. And it's got a fair amount pertaining specifically to diesels. It's an old book, been out of print a long time. Lots of graphs and charts. I think my edition is around mid 1970's.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by catfish101
Pretty much everything is based off of those theories. They haven't changed much. If you understand how things work you will be able to figure a problem out. They have just thrown some wires on these engines today but they work the same. The best place to be is a class 8 truck dealer if there is one close to you. You will learn more at a dealer then anywhere. Just remember know body knows everything including yourself and never will. Try to figure things out on your own. You will learn it then. You won't learn much if somebody tells you everything to do all the time. In 25 years I still learn things all the time.
I know everything...............I think?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I think MOST teachers and cops used to get into their respective professions be cause they wanted to be a teacher or a cop.
Now too many of them just see it as a GOOD job.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM
cpetersen
Senior User
i wanna be an ag teacher cuz all iv done in life is agriculture and alot of kids nowadays dont know anything bout it or think there to cool for that kinda stuff just wanna tell the kids look at your dinner plate and say wat didnt come from agriculture there and plus i love to weld lol

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cpetersen
i wanna be an ag teacher cuz all iv done in life is agriculture and alot of kids nowadays dont know anything bout it or think there to cool for that kinda stuff just wanna tell the kids look at your dinner plate and say wat didnt come from agriculture there and plus i love to weld lol
THAT's why you become a teacher, don't forget that when the little turds that appear to have been raised by wolves get on your last nerve!

I admit A LOT of the teacher's problems are PARENTAL problems.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u know i was dioing the same thing at that dodge just think ur kid might be just like me amd the school system is so broke the crap u need to get a dylpoma is so worthless math with letters if u look back at the great minds never had to learn this crap in hs collage yes but they chose to learn it it wasnt forced apoin like it is theses days kids these days are way over worked know adays they have 2nd graders writeing 5 page papers

Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Chippenwhales
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
THAT's why you become a teacher, don't forget that when the little turds that appear to have been raised by wolves get on your last nerve!

I admit A LOT of the teacher's problems are PARENTAL problems.
gotta agree with you on that one,dodge-when i grew up there was no such thing as 'cps' or 'child abuse', when you screwed up, you paid for it. you lipped off, you paid for it. i am a better man ( 40 now ) because my mom beat my a$$ but GOOD when i needed it. shes about 5 ft tall, 100lbs, 61 years old and japanese-and STILL scares the cr*p outta me and all my 'tough guy' friends ( we are all over 6 ft 2 inches, and well over 250lbs or bigger...and all of us work as doormen,bouncers,cops,prison guards,etc...) i STILL wont talk back to my mom, she would slap me right in the mouth-in front of anybody! the whole reason that i am 40 and have never drank a beer,smoked a joint,been arrested, have any tattoos or earrings,or have any children out of wedlock is directly because i was so scared my mom would find out and kill me on the spot that i never got into any of it...and it has made me a much better man today. thanks, mom, for being 'the hammer' instead of trying to be my friend. i didnt understand as a child, but i sure do now. thank you.and thank you for having enough love and enough heart to take in all the 'strays' of my childhood, like steven,clyde,mike,jameson,jonah,lumho,raul,jason,s cotty,etc...the kids whos parents couldnt / wouldnt take care of them. my mom let them sleep there,paid for clothes and school supplies, fed them,and yes-BEAT EM when they needed it ! ....she is the BEST, an absolutely amazing person. i tell her so everyday. and now, they all try to pay her back whenever they can . ( lumho fixes her car. scotty helps her whenever she needs anything. raul did the sprinkler system for her.jason ships her stuff interisland., etc...)...so she did good raising a bunch of kids ( and a few adults ) who werent even her own! thank you, mom. in fact, im gonna copy and email this to her. mom, you are da BOMB......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My son's a mechanical genius!