55 F250 Rear Suspension Questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F250 Rear Suspension Questions

Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
55 F250 Rear Suspension Questions

I was looking closer at my rear suspension and it seems to be different than others I have seen. I briefly looked for other examples, but nothing seemed to match quite like mine. Could you enlighten me on this suspension? I figure to leave it like it is unless there are problems. By the way the first owner had a Knapheide bed installed in it. (never met him and the previous owner passed away)

I can never imagine the bumper ever getting down to the axle.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
FORD14TPU is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That upper 6 springs and the 2 upper stack stops on the frame were added later along with the super long U bolts .. i have a 55 F250 so i know just what been added to yours. That plate on the very top of the stack that the Ubolt top bend rides in should be on top of the orig lower stack. And much shorter U bolts.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
I don't see anything unusual although I'm more familiar with the F-3 than the F-250. The larger trucks had more spring capacity for heavier loads. What do you find different?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
My 48 F-3 had 13 leaf springs in the rear....

Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
I don't see anything unusual although I'm more familiar with the F-3 than the F-250. The larger trucks had more spring capacity for heavier loads. What do you find different?
This truck has the second set of springs. All others I have seen only have one set. It makes sense that extra support was added. I would assume when the Knapheide bed was installed.

I was told that when they loaded it with grain that they would make this truck into a dump bed by attaching a chain to the front and lifting the truck with a tractor to empty the bed.

Of course I will never put that much load on this truck, so I need to ponder whether to remove the extra support....I a long way from having to make that decision though...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't know if Ford offered overload springs back then, but they are simalar to the overloads offered on latter trucks. My 96 has factory overloads simalar to those. They overload brackets look like a factory item or maybe an aftermarket set up...

Paul

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
FORD14TPU is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
New trucks use a very close 2 stage design like that setup but a far softer base stack to give a soft ride when unloaded. That looks like a stock F250 bottom stack. That upper set won't come into play till you have 3/4 of a ton on that puppy. I'd leave them if you plan on carrying some 3 ton loads.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FORD14TPU View Post
New trucks use a very close 2 stage design like that setup but a far softer base stack to give a soft ride when unloaded. That looks like a stock F250 bottom stack. That upper set won't come into play till you have 3/4 of a ton on that puppy. I'd leave them if you plan on carrying some 3 ton loads.
I was looking closer at them and realized that they didn't affect ride height and wouldn't be used until the load got heavy, so I probably will leave them. Of course once the truck is back together I will need to see how much weight it takes to put those puppies into play... I can't wait until that day, but I'm still in the disassembly phase of this project.... I need to win the lottery so I can spend more time in the garage.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
husker
Post Fiend
husker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant future
I have a 54 F250 with the overload springs on it. It has the express box. I always assumed they were original. Many years ago, I before I tore it apart for some upgrades I went to a local quarry and pick up a "little" load of rock. It was only a couple of miles from home and I would go slow anyway. I ended up with almost 2 tons on it. That was a scary trip.

I'll have to look, but if I remember right the pics here look like mine.