1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 f1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Power steering and disc brakes are easy enough.
The most common power sterring swap is the 79-85 Toyota 4x4 box. Once you get 25 posts you'll be able to use the search function, there's tons of threads with good info and I think even a tech article or two.
Disc brakes are also fairly easy and several vendors sell components from partial to complete kits. The most common swap utilizes GM big car calipers and late model Ford truck rotors. I have installed a couple of the kits, one on my own truck and one on a buddy's truck, again, there are several threads with good info.

One thing you might consider, get your truck running in its current configuration, and drivce it for a bit, spend some time with it, get to know it, give it a chance to tell you what it wants. This will give you time to figure out a plan for the truck, and more importantly, to build up some good memories that will help carry you through the rough times. Yes, there will be rough times, we all go through them. Times when you are so overwhelmed that you can't see any end in site, that you're stuck in a rut that would give the Grand Canyon a run for the money.

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 12-07-2010, 02:41 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Holehawgg
The mention of the tranny and having to cut the firewall has me a little bothered. I can weld and fab but was really hoping not to have to do that. If it needs done it will get done but is there another tranny that can be used in its place or does this open up a new world of confusion with using the wiring and computer from the 91. I'm not really up to speed on these electronic trannys and if they can just be switched out or if that will cause the computer to not work right.
The computer will most certainly be setup for the E4OD transmission if that's what the donor truck has and the ECM will definitely expect it to be there. It would run the engine without it, but you'd have endless "check engine" lights and it probably wouldn't run optimally. There are smaller Ford electronic automatics, but they are different electrically and not compatible with that ECM. For the amount of parts you'd have to change to run a different transmission, I'd just stick with the E4OD. I wouldn't panic about massive sheetmetal mods just yet. I'm not aware of anyone with an F-1 who has attempted to install one yet, so I can't say for sure one way or the other whether they'd be necessary. You'll be blazing a new trail here to some extent. If it's just the bolt-in transmission cover in the floor that needs more clearance, there are ready-made aftermarket covers available with an enlarged tunnel built in that might solve the problem without even firing up the welder.

As far as the EFI install and wiring go, drop me a PM after you get 25 posts in or post a thread if you run into problems or have questions. If you're not familiar with Ford EEC-IV fuel injection, you'll probably be scratching your head over a thing or two here or there. I'd be happy to help. I've also got copies of the wiring diagrams for that truck here that I could scan and e-mail to you if you need them. They pretty clearly outline all the EFI wiring. None of it is rocket science, but there is a learning curve.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I will stay with the original tranny and will make it work. I will be getting in contact when it comes to the fuel injection. Wiring is not a strong point with me.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Alright, here's what I have from you all so far. Fuel injected 351w and E4OD tranny from 91 F150. Will work but may take a little playing with to make it fit but the computer will work right then. Check. Fuel tank from the 91 or a full sized Bronco, whichever fits the best. Check. Will need to run some new lines for the fuel injection. Check. Using the wiring harness from the 91 and weeding out the wires needed for the fuel injection. Check. Keeping the straight axle for now but adding disc brakes (probably). Check. Keeping the original dashboard and using or replacing the guages with ones that fit and work. Check. PS from a 79-85 Toyota 4x4, pump, brackets. Will need to buy or build the pitman arm. Check.
Now for what I don't know yet. Jeff and Nichol list a steering column from a 86 Bronco ll. How was this to install or does anyone have any other suggestions. Would like the tilt steering if possible.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
If you have the complete 91 F-150 donor vehicle the column from that might be made to work. The biggest thing with columns is the length of them. I'm running a tilt and telescoping column from a 72 Caddy but its too long even with the telescoping part all the way in. I've seen people on here shorten their columns, its not a major surgery.

Another thing, you might consider the master cylinder. You can buy frame mounted master cylinders and boosters that go in the orignal location, but if you have to domajor surgery to the x-member then it might be just as easy to fab a hanging pedal assy adn move the MC up to the firewall. Again, you could probably use the hanging pedal assy from the 91 F-150 (or at least some parts of it).

When you get serious about looking into this, try and keep an open mind for all the peripherals. Take lots of pictures and lots of measurements. You'd be surprise how much stuff you can forget in an afternoon....LOL

Also, if you get overwhelmed, stuck, or otherwise in a rut, don't be bashful about posting something here. There is an unlimited amount of experience and knowledge at your disposal. This is a great group that is willing to share.

What part of the country are you in? Who knows, there might be a member near by that could give a hand when needed.

Bobby

Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
I'm from Alberta. We got our share of hotrodders and classic rebuilders around here but you get such a variety of info on here from people that have been there and done it. I like the info I get here and who knows, might be a good road trip driving around the states meeting some of you... I know the wife's up for it.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Well, if you ever find yourself way down south in New Mexico I'd gladly do some bench racing and swapping lies.

I feel for you guys up there, I guess shipping stuff across the border can be pricey in some instances.

Bobby

Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Shipping can definatly hurt the pocket book but we're only and hour from the Montana border and there's a great storage company in Sweet Grass that will accept and hold packages for us to pick up. Saves a ton of cash. Don't rule out the visit to New Mexico either.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Any one out there have anything to say about the rear diff. Is it tough enough to handle the 351w. And will the springs handle the weight or will they need beefed up.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
The stock rear diff should hold up just fine. Get the danged thing running, if you end up shelling out the diff, then worry about it at that time.

Was your truck originally a V8 or a straight 6? You'd be surprised at how much the stock drivetrain weighs. I had the straight 6 with a 4speed, I replaced it with a 500ci and TH400. I had my front springs overhauled and an extra leaf added. It turns out I didn't need it and ended up taking a couple of leaves out of the stack. I'd suggest inspecting the spring packs (all 4) you'll probably have more than one broken leaf and all the bushing will be worn out....lol

Bobby

Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Does anyone know if the PS box from an 87 toyota se5 will work or is the box different than the 77 - 85 box.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
The other challenge you will run into is salvaging the engine and computer wiring. On those trucks, the engine and computer harness is integral with the rest of the underhood harness. You'll need to disassemble the harness and separate the computer wiring from the rest of the junk for the lights, horn, wipers, etc. I've done this a couple times. It's a time consuming task but it really isn't all that difficult. Get a good wiring schematic for the '91 that calls out the wire colors and start carefully pruning out everything that you don't need. It will most certainly be much less expensive to do it this way than to buy a new harness. The added benefit is that when you're done, you'll have a fairly intimate knowledge of the EFI system and how it's wired.
I would like to discuss EFI with you BlueOvalRage, cause you seem like you are a great source of knowledge! But I must say...your avatar is a bit intimidating! I wouldn't want to bother you cause it's kinda scary!!
I will just leave it at that for now...
So when the time comes can I lean on you for some EFI questions?

I feel like you might terminate me, but I gotta get over this sooo...