6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

running offroad diesel "undercover"...just an idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yz400f
Some of you guys are a little crazy with all this "its breaking the law" crap. Should we assume that you have NEVER gone faster than the posted speed limit? Fuel prices are inflated to get US, the people who drive diesels. I live in Louisiana where we have tons of off shore drilling, by Cuba, Mexico, China, everyone but us. Our government is out to get the people that post on this site. All in the name of " it makes Blowbama feel good." Good luck in your quest to get some of what was stolen from you back, "undercover"
Did you know that the fuel prices in the US are extremely close to the price per barrel that gets listed on the CBOT? While the NYSE does handle oil futures and some of the other commodities, regulation is ultimately done at the CBOT.

While we were paying 5 per gallon at the same time some countries were paying above 10. Still thinking that price gouging is bad here in the US? All that extra price is due to regulation within that country. I think Greece is the worst one, at least that is what I'm wanting to think anyway.

Yes, there are ways that companies can affect commodity prices, but ultimately it's the speculators that have to buy into that act that those companies are doing. That has happened and it has been dealt with from time to time.

As to someone's question on exhaust and nuisance laws. That is going to depend on your local, state, and federal regulations. There is nothing on the books were my truck is tagged, now the other place I live there is. However, because my truck is tagged at a place that doesn't have any regulation on that, giving me a ticket for it won't hold up if I choose to fight it. Just depends if the fine is greater then the travel expense for a trip with that as the sole purpose. Same thing if there isn't a law to have a trailer that you are towing have a tag on it in your state or county, but you go to one that does require it. You still might get the ticket, but more then likely it will be thrown out if you choose to fight. Just depends on if it's worth it economically.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 AM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
all that trouble isnt worth the few pennies less that it costs.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mudmagnet63
Maybe a little education is in order.

Hurricane Katrina and Rita distroyed numerious rigs and platforms in the gulf. Storm surge did major damage to refineries. Estimated in the Billions
Hurricanes Destroyed 109 Oil Platforms: US Government

The run up in price was caused by speculation and the fact that a large part of the gasoline refining capacity storage is in the gulf region.
EIA - Sorry! Unexpected Error

Major oil companies show a very tight profit margin compaired to other companies.
Oil Profit Margins vs. Other Industries | The Everyday Economist

Next time you fill your diesel truck up, remember to get your diesel to the station WE are at work 24/7. The oilfield doesn't get holidays, weekends or keep the NORMAL schedule most of the rest of the U.S. enjoy .I have been at work for 66 days without leaving. Just my small contribution so you can complain about the price of fuel. go buy a Prius if you can't afford the fuel cost.

The 3rd Generation Toyota Prius Hybrid

There I feel better

Mud
Actually I think "holiday" means to oil companies all hands on deck..Seems like my kids are always having to work during those days..But they get paid well for doing so...lol..And now back to the regular thread..

Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by High Binder
Has anyone outside of big-rigs every been stopped for this? I never have.
I was just thinking the same thing

Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by hubler13f
I'm not trying to to start any junk here, but I have a comment on the direction this thread is going.

Talk about calling the kettle black. Breaking the law is breaking the law, that goes for everyone with a punched out cat or an EGR delete or an offroad only intake "including myself".

Personally I don't run off-road fuel, but I am not going to jump on my high horse and preach at this guy for not abiding by the laws or posting about it.

This thread is just as legitimate as any other thread that talks about any of our mods that have legality issues.
you are right. has any gone 5 over the speed limit? that's against the law too.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Why price difference by Country

This is an old chart, but it gives you an Idea of why other countries prices for fuel is so much higher than the US.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to run kerosene in my mercedes Diesel. When diesel was 3.00 kerosene was about 1.54 a gallon. Got yelled at my the clerk a couple times. But i jsut played dumb. "oops, i grabbed the wrong handle"

Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by plomerostroker
I was just thinking the same thing
I know of a couple guys that got busted around here, in the west Texas oil patch. I have heard of fines upwards of 10k. The DOT has come out to rigs just to check everyone that has a diesel. I have personaly never seen it, but I have heard of other states that use moble check station to check every diesel that comes bye.

Also just to point out.....TAX EVATION is no comparison to speeding.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Has anyone outside of big-rigs every been stopped for this? I never have.
I drive a big truck and never been stopped in it. BUT I have been stopped in my pickup (that time I was drivign a gasser 1ton dually pulling a stock trailer. as soon as they realized it was gas was told to go ahead, but they were stopping every pickup pulling a stock trailer)

And in this and the next county south of here 10 farmers got nailed in one day, they came back a month later and did it again and caught more and yes the fines were very steep. first offense they got them for $1000, second offense they got them for $10,000 AND they took the mileage of the truck figured the average MPG and how much fuel that truck had burned in it's lifetime and made them pay the taxes ON ALL OF IT.

when I have seen it in Iowa, they have IRS agents riding around with State troopers and DOT officers to check the tanks of EVERY diesel they see.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had diesel pickup trucks since 1989 and have never been checked, but I know a guy who was checkeds a few years ago when he went onto a service area of the Pa. turnpike. Also know of a case where a local builder was running red fuel and was caught and fined, more then likely someone turned him in. Several years ago a heating oil supply delivery Co. in the Phila. Pa. area was prosecuted by the feds and state for running red fuel, they paid somewhere near a 1/2 million in fines and back tax's.

Google, "fine for using untaxed diesel fuel"

Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also like to add, there's no difference between someone using untaxed fuel or going to another state to buy booze or cigarettes to bring back and consume in your state. It wasn't long ago that Pa. liquor control board agents were going into border towns in Delaware to package goods stores and video taping vehicles with Pa. registration plates on them. They would radio agents just inside the Pa. line along 3 major routes. If you were the unlucky person being caught, they would confiscate the untaxed goods and issue you a citation for a later court date. Some people like to take a chance, but that's up to them. There not cheating me anymore then the people in DC with the money squandering.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
I would also like to add, there's no difference between someone using untaxed fuel or going to another state to buy booze or cigarettes to bring back and consume in your state. It wasn't long ago that Pa. liquor control board agents were going into border towns in Delaware to package goods stores and video taping vehicles with Pa. registration plates on them. They would radio agents just inside the Pa. line along 3 major routes. If you were the unlucky person being caught, they would confiscate the untaxed goods and issue you a citation for a later court date. Some people like to take a chance, but that's up to them. There not cheating me anymore then the people in DC with the money squandering.
Actually there is a difference between the two.

In one scenerio, one is legal in one area, but right across the border it isn't legal.

In the second scenerio, it isn't legal no matter what. The main thing is whether or not you get caught and what are the odds of you getting caught.

You also have to remember to, hurting the people that don't do it doesn't always mean just through higher taxes or other ways dealing with money. It also could mean that you have to deal with more "checkpoints" or other time consuming things that wouldn't have happened if there wasn't this big surge of people trying to do things illegally. All about opportunity cost.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Actually there is a difference between the two.

In one scenerio, one is legal in one area, but right across the border it isn't legal.

In the second scenerio, it isn't legal no matter what. The main thing is whether or not you get caught and what are the odds of you getting caught.

You also have to remember to, hurting the people that don't do it doesn't always mean just through higher taxes or other ways dealing with money. It also could mean that you have to deal with more "checkpoints" or other time consuming things that wouldn't have happened if there wasn't this big surge of people trying to do things illegally. All about opportunity cost.
I don't think it's a good idea to run off road fuel. not worth getting busted. but most everyone on this forum has done something on the gray side of the line. Why should one law be more important then another. If you are o k with a little "sin" what's wrong with some type of other little "sin"?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
And now for the point I was trying to get across about justifying saving costs on fuel. Yes it is breaking the law, but what should be even more illegal is for the oil companies to nearly double their price because the weather channel predicts a hurricane MIGHT be heading towards one of their rigs. The I don't see how the gov't can justify coming after me for trying to find ways to get by in an economy Barack Hussein Bin Laden keeps driving farther and farther in a hole, but when somebody whose profiting several billions a year jacks their price up because they MIGHT lose one or two million, if the weather man PREDICTED right. If that's not a monopoly I don't know what the hell is. Now I believe the hippies during the 60's and 70's were idiots...but at least they knew how to stand up for things the believed in and boycott and protest things and didn't care the consequences, and weren't like the panzies of American society today who believe they have to conform to every little thing the gov't tells them to.
I need to stop listening to Rage Against The Machine.
Do you understand how the markets work? Do you know what happens when supply and/or demand change?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
I always find it intresting how some that break the law that they deem ok will preach at another man for breaking a law they deem unacceptable. Maybe a little deduction that's not legal, swap a part out that EPA says must be on a ride. Cut off a catalatyc converter. I guess all these laws are ok to break, just don't put any red fuel in your ride

He who live in glass house should not throw stones.

Mud

Quick Reply: running offroad diesel "undercover"...just an idea