1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

custom hood hinges

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
figured i`d start by mocking up my old hinged to a piece of cowl i had left over when patching the cab front corner, left them overnight in diesel and they freed up nicely, removed the springs and proceded to make a hod jig that had the arms spread out in their proper location, something suddenly told to measure the arms an check my mid 50`s book, sure enough the top arms measures 6 1/4 and has 5/8 mounting holes meaning its for a 56 not a `55, so i guess this explains why the hood has 56 badges on it!! from what i see it was factory paint on the truck itself and the hood, did not appear to be re-painted, probably taken off a 56 the same colour! so with this hurdle i`ll have to decide if i`m just better off just building a front flip .

Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=CharlieLed;9648334]I think that before it is all said and done that I will have to cut up an old hood to use as a template, something that I can use to gauge the clearances without having to fight the weight of the whole hood.

charlie I have that very hood and im ready to throw it out.....
if you want it hurry let me know

Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Thanks Keith...I went back and rechecked my design and found that the hinge arms connect to the hinge at one pivot point, there is no compound arm action that adds lift...this was the only thing that I could think of that may have thrown a wrench in the design. My design will offer the same lift as the OEM hinges since the pivot point is located at the same position and the length of the arms are the same. That said, I have a 56 cab and the hinges are different from the 53-55 but I believe that the only difference in the two models are the way that the hinge is mounted to the cowl (of course where the hinge mounts will affect the length of the arms). This new hinge could possibly be employed on a slant cab if the cowl mounting holes are relocated.
Thanks for the offer on the hood, I too have a junker that I can cut up if needed.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...for some reason, this thread has been revolving in my head,it keeps coming back around..I like the idea of the hood opening as designed..as much as the hinge camming action and adjustment gives us all problems..it just looks right. I'm not about the hokey-pokey though...
And to be honest, I think the front tilt kit leaves more room to work under the hood..

But following this thread, I find that I also like the idea of "the bar across the inside of the dash" ..maybe with a couple of 'really' strong window motors on each end,with the gear and motor inside the cab (out of the weather) and linked to the original hood hinge.
Might need limit swx's (adjustable of course)..or, a current load limit swx might work, ..
I realize there is not alot of room in the under dash area..but having both hinges synchronized,.."in place of" the spring, seems somehow do'able. Someone smarter than me, with more time on they're hands may come up with a better idea..Just a thought.
I'm sure there's more than a couple of ways to skin this cat....

Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This week when i have a bit of time I`m going to throw the hood on the hood, by measuring the hinge mount holes to the end of the hood all i think i need to do is cut a section of the arm out and re-weld the hinge. my idea is kinda simple, bottom arm will have a section welded rearward behind the pivot and facing down, i will make a hole in the cowl where my actuator shafts will stick through and mount to the hinge, the other end will be fastened to the dash.