1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

f-250 4x4 conversion for 1956 f100?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
First issue is the F250 will have 8 lugs, and your F100 will have 5.

And the rear axle on that F250 will be wider than yours. I've got conflicting reports that the front axle is wider than the pre '73's, but then I've been told the front axle remained the same, and just the rear axle was wider. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-question.html

'66-77 Bronco rear end would be a bit too narrow. There is a guy on here who did use a '66-77 Bronco front end and made it work.

I've been looking for a '59-72 4x4 to measure the front axle on. The frame width is the same up front up until 1979. The rear half of the frame got wider in '73.

There's a '66-77 Bronco rolling chassis on my local CL for $300

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
The 79 axles aren't too wide unless you plan to run a wide tire. Here's my 54 F100 on a 78 F250 4x4 chassis. This picture is with the F600 fenders but I also had the F100 fenders on it.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
cwest73
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
First issue is the F250 will have 8 lugs, and your F100 will have 5.

And the rear axle on that F250 will be wider than yours. I've got conflicting reports that the front axle is wider than the pre '73's, but then I've been told the front axle remained the same, and just the rear axle was wider. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-question.html

'66-77 Bronco rear end would be a bit too narrow. There is a guy on here who did use a '66-77 Bronco front end and made it work.

I've been looking for a '59-72 4x4 to measure the front axle on. The frame width is the same up front up until 1979. The rear half of the frame got wider in '73.

There's a '66-77 Bronco rolling chassis on my local CL for $300

well im getting new wheels hopefully anyway so as long as i get 8 lug wheels thats not a problem right and so doyou think the 79 axels would fit?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM
cwest73
Junior User
F-250 Plow Truck
theres the ad so do you think it would work for the 4x4 conversion because i would like to act quickly

Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cwest go look through fordman's gallery, he has a ton of pictures with info on what hes done, that might be able to help you alot more by seeing what someone has done so far. Oh dont take that as being rude but sometimes pictures with info is better than having 20 differant people pulling you in differant directions. Trust me I so want to make my 55 into a quad cab 4x4, one of these days I might make that dream come true...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM
cwest73
Junior User
Originally Posted by tardster
Cwest go look through fordman's gallery, he has a ton of pictures with info on what hes done, that might be able to help you alot more by seeing what someone has done so far. Oh dont take that as being rude but sometimes pictures with info is better than having 20 differant people pulling you in differant directions. Trust me I so want to make my 55 into a quad cab 4x4, one of these days I might make that dream come true...
o thanks they do help a lot, and ur right lol i was gettin aa little overwhelmed and good luck with your project too!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
The 79 axles will work. At the very least the rear will require new spring pads welded on to the rear axle.

And you will have to decide if you want to use the 79 springs or your stock 56 springs. If you want to use the 79 springs you won't need to weld new spring perches on the rear diff but you will need to make up some spacer plates to put between the 56 frame and the 79 rear spring mounts. Up front it would be pretty simple to use the entire 79 front suspension. You'd just have to locate and mount the 79's front spring mounts to the 56 frame.

You will need to make the engine mount brackets, transmission crossmember, transfercase side mount, mounting bracket/s for the steering box and upper shock mounts.

Just don't get too confused if you check out my build. I like to change my mind every month or so.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 PM
cwest73
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
The 79 axles will work. At the very least the rear will require new spring pads welded on to the rear axle.

And you will have to decide if you want to use the 79 springs or your stock 56 springs. If you want to use the 79 springs you won't need to weld new spring perches on the rear diff but you will need to make up some spacer plates to put between the 56 frame and the 79 rear spring mounts. Up front it would be pretty simple to use the entire 79 front suspension. You'd just have to locate and mount the 79's front spring mounts to the 56 frame.

You will need to make the engine mount brackets, transmission crossmember, transfercase side mount, mounting bracket/s for the steering box and upper shock mounts.

that doesnt seem so bad, just for the spacers how would i make it, like basically a pice to extend the perch lower?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cwest73
that doesnt seem so bad, just for the spacers how would i make it, like basically a pice to extend the perch lower?
No not to make it higher or lower. The rear section of the 79 frame is like 3" or 3.5" (don't remember the exact # right now ) . So if you pull the entire rear axle/suspension and brackets and try to mount it on your 56 frame you will have a gap between the frame and brackets.

The simplest way to fill the gap would be to use some steel plate the thickness of the gap. Doing it this way will add a good chunk of weight and won't be real cheap for the steel plate. But it's the simplest. You just need to drill a bunch of holes and bolt it all to the frame.

Here's a crappy top view drawing to try and explain it better. The black is the 56 frame, the blue is the 79 axle, springs and brackets and the red are the spacers needed.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
cwest73
Junior User
ooooo okay thanks, well thats not bad at all, so now that i know i can oretty much do everything just wonderin nwhen you say the 79 frame you mean 250 right or are they the same
this is the truck so in your opinion would this workhttp://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/2059135205.html

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
ooooo okay thanks, well thats not bad at all, so now that i know i can oretty much do everything just wonderin nwhen you say the 79 frame you mean 250 right or are they the same
this is the truck so in your opinion would this workhttp://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/2059135205.html

All the Ford truck frames from the late 70's were wider behind the cabs. They did this for more room to mount the gas tanks.

The 79 F250 would be a good donor for the drivetrain parts. Some will say the axles are too wide. That really depends on your tires. If you plan to run a tire that's less then 9" wide they should be fine. If you start going with a wider tire then it's going to stick out past the fenders. Like the picture below. If you want something with the tires way inside the wheel well like the stock 53-56 trucks then you will need narrower axles.

That truck you found is a deal considering it comes with a plow and the new intake and headers.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o thanks they do help a lot, and ur right lol i was gettin aa little overwhelmed and good luck with your project too!
No problem man, I'm glad it helps. I had a similar thing happen to me in a post awhile back. My heater wasnt working and in the pics I have of my motor people were telling me I had some hoses hooked up in the wrong spots and they tried to explain it to me, they explained it right I just didn't realize what they were saying. Then someone posted a pic of what it should look like and thats all it took...

Old 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
cwest73
Junior User
All the Ford truck frames from the late 70's were wider behind the cabs. They did this for more room to mount the gas tanks.

The 79 F250 would be a good donor for the drivetrain parts. Some will say the axles are too wide. That really depends on your tires. If you plan to run a tire that's less then 9" wide they should be fine. If you start going with a wider tire then it's going to stick out past the fenders. Like the picture below. If you want something with the tires way inside the wheel well like the stock 53-56 trucks then you will need narrower axles.

That truck you found is a deal considering it comes with a plow and the new intake and headers.

thanks soo much man u really helped a lot, and yea i decided im gonna buy it if nothing else i could sell the plow for some change and its a great deal

so thanks a lottttt!!!

o and justy for laughs i was wonderin is it possibe to hook up a plow to a 56???lol

Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
thanks soo much man u really helped a lot, and yea i decided im gonna buy it if nothing else i could sell the plow for some change and its a great deal

so thanks a lottttt!!!

o and justy for laughs i was wonderin is it possibe to hook up a plow to a 56???lol

Anything is possible. You would have to modify the plow mount to fit the 56 frame. If you plan to do a lot of plowing with it you might want to consider swapping your 56 body over to the F250 frame. I feel the newer frames are stronger then the 50's F100 frames. But that opens up a whole other can of worms.

I'm still considering a plow for my 54 when I get it finished. But I'm going to make a 1 piece tilt front clip on mine and that makes it a little more difficult for the plow mount.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
cwest73
Junior User
Anything is possible. You would have to modify the plow mount to fit the 56 frame. I'm still considering a plow for my 54 when I get it finished. But I'm going to make a 1 piece tilt front clip on mine and that makes it a little more difficult for the plow mount.
im just wonderin if the frame for the 56 is strong enough?

Quick Reply: f-250 4x4 conversion for 1956 f100?