Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can you help with a quick diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
SunBum
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you help with a quick diagnosis?

This is a pretty specific, but I don't know how common, issue.

2000 Excursion w/ 7.3 PSD and Banks power add ons.

Sometimes, maybe 10 times a year but more often when it's cold, I'll crank the motor and it'll be about twice as 'loud' (the whole 'diesel rattle thing') as usual. I'm not sure if it's idling faster or not, but the whole thing is making much more 'noise' than usual. It'll lack a bit of its power and (here's the specific part) the overdrive 'off' light on the stalk shifter is blinking.

I'll usually just turn the truck off and re-start and the problem is gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The added noise is due to the EBP being closed, to aid in a faster warm up. The oil is thicker in this case adding to the clatter as well.
The blinking OD light means that the tranny threw a code. Get it read, might just be a sensor.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I concur with Joe.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
SunBum
Mountain Pass
Thanks Guys...

I'll check it out!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I vote torque converter going out, or possibly a chaffed tranny wire.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
SunBum
Mountain Pass
Dang

I hope BD isn't right, his sounds worse!

By the way, about the noise and the EBP (not sure what that is); when it starts up this way it won't stop until I turn it off and re-start, then it is fine. Does that still sound like the EBP.

Also, I just remembered (not sure it has anything to do with the other stuff), but sometimes when it's unusually cold, it'll crank and sound fine, but then it will just stop after a minute or two. Like, for instance, I'll crank it in the driveway to let it warm. I'll go check in a few minutes and the truck is off. The other morning, I did this three times until I just finally cranked it up and drove off and it seemed fine.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
LaJ10
Senior User
subscribing have the exact same issue with dying .Sometimes when you start it cold does the ses light stay on for the first few seconds of driving ?Mine does then if I shut it down and restart it wont stay on .I have gone so far as to just turn the key on and then back off and it not stay on .

Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SunBum
I hope BD isn't right, his sounds worse!

By the way, about the noise and the EBP (not sure what that is); when it starts up this way it won't stop until I turn it off and re-start, then it is fine. Does that still sound like the EBP.

Also, I just remembered (not sure it has anything to do with the other stuff), but sometimes when it's unusually cold, it'll crank and sound fine, but then it will just stop after a minute or two. Like, for instance, I'll crank it in the driveway to let it warm. I'll go check in a few minutes and the truck is off. The other morning, I did this three times until I just finally cranked it up and drove off and it seemed fine.

check tranny fluid for burnt smell. If a TC locks up while the engine is running, but the truck is not moving it will stall the engine