oil filters - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

oil filters

Old 12-04-2010, 02:15 PM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User
HOTWRENCH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HOTWRENCH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bypass Oil Filters

No my service trucks were gas powererd 370/460 Ford -- 427/454 Chev. I was a heavy equipment mechanic & welder working on pipeline and road projects. You either had mud or dust about a foot deep , either one hard on trucks and equipment. I worked around strip mines and rock quarries also and because of the severe conditions luberfiners were installed on gas and diesels.

Have A Great Day-------- Hotwrench

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Since we're now on the subject of comparing filters, has anyone had experience with Oberg filters? I know they've been around for at least 25 years and are big within the racing community.

Oberg Filters and Race Products - Main
http://obergfilters.com/main.html

Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Since we're now on the subject of comparing filters, has anyone had experience with Oberg filters?
I couldn't see a photo,since the site said it was under construction,but does it also use a roll of TP?Are they expensive?

Last edited by Fomoko1; 12-04-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Off topic
Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
DATA DATA DATA DATA
Whose micron is bigger then the others
With out data it's all BS

Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
You're right Dick.Not sure if Frantz' site has any hard data or not.As with many of these devices that are supposedly the "Ultimate Thing",they are all about making vehicle owners feel good about how they're taking care of their pride and joy.I try to really take care of my things,but without cold hard data,it may be just so much snake oil.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
I couldn't see a photo,since the site said it was under construction,but does it also use a roll of TP?Are they expensive?
No, they don't use tp, and they're not what I'd consider cheap. They run about $150-200, and use a cleanable screen inside a billet aluminum housing. They're pretty slick, and if I felt I needed the benefits they claim, I'd probably look into it. But for what I do, a Motorcraft spin-on and Mobil1 does me just fine.

Oberg Oil Filters

Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
old ugly
Senior User
old ugly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
TP oil filters

Hi Guys-Back in the late 60's I worked for a logging-sawmill operation. They had a V-8 Cat gen set that provided power for the camp and ran the whole sawmill, pretty big unit. I estimate it ran about 12 hrs. per day, 5 days per week. It ran summer and winter. They changed oil in the spring and fall, twice a yr. The mechanic claimed the engine hadn't been rebuilt in the 10 yrs. that he was there. Guess what, it had TP oil filter system of some kind.Also has anyone heard of Reclaimo oil filters? They were around in the 80's. They were a cotton waste filtering system with a heating element to take care of moister. On a hwy tractor ( 350 Cummins ect.) 100k mi. between oil changes but changed cotton waste at certain intervals (can"t remember how long between), lost about 2 gal. of oil when changing cotton waste. I knew a person that put one on a 350 ***., didn't change the oil and after about 2 wks. old oil looked like new. Haven't seen or heard of one in yrs.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
Here's an amazingly funny coincidence...
NOS Frantz Bypass Oil Filter System

Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you get the TP filter, at least you'll have an excuse for carrying around a roll of TP. Then you'll always be ready for either an emergency or an oil change.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
No, they don't use tp, and they're not what I'd consider cheap. They run about $150-200, and use a cleanable screen inside a billet aluminum housing. They're pretty slick, and if I felt I needed the benefits they claim, I'd probably look into it. But for what I do, a Motorcraft spin-on and Mobil1 does me just fine.

Oberg Oil Filters

There is a thread I thought about linking to on an automotive lubrication engineers' site that discussed the Oberg. They are popular on racers because, as one guy said, they are only looking to catch the big chunks so they can tell what failed. The Oberg's design makes it simple to open it up after a race and see what it caught. Notice the trouble they go to for a bypass? maintaining flow is more important to them than letting some particles thru. Race engines get rebuilt frequently, they generally don't care about fine filtering or longevity.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.Alcaeus has a good reputation on FTE.
Didn't know I was lighting such a fuse... lol

Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Yea, it would appear that some people are a bit "excitable". LOL, I wouldn't worry about it, there's nothing like a good debate to keep life interesting.

I found the thread very informative
Bobby

Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
L.TONY F350
Junior User
L.TONY F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Frantz TP filter

I had a Frantz TP filter system on my '63 VW bus. It was a bypass system plumbed via a tee fitting off the oil pressure sending unit rather than full flow. A full flow external PH8 filter and oil cooler were also installed. The total oil capacity of the system was 6 quarts vs the 2 quarts or so in the stock engine.

The engine was a 1600cc, 3/4 race cam, 2 bbl Holley Bug Spray carb and a few other modifications that put out ~120 hp.

Just as discussed, the filter was a 60s era roll of toilet paper. The oil was crystal clear up to the regular 3K oil changes.

Tony