1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

cluster not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cluster not working

I just picked up a 99 e-15 and all is good except the speedo and all the gauges dont work, but when i turn on the head lights the cluster lights up fine.

A friend side it could be a fusable link, where can i look?

Thanks

Rich

Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Looking at my schematics I'd suggest checking fuses # 2 & 4 on the inside fuse block. These fuses feed power the gauges and quite possibly they're both open or blown.

The lamps are on a separate fuse so that's not really much indication of anything other than them working.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
Well I checked the fuses and they are all good.

I went according to the owners manual

I am at a loss, and I need to fix it soon as I ran out of gas today because the gauges don't work and it is hard to drive safe when you have no idea how fast you are going.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to check the connectors in the back of the cluster, i.e. removal of instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this requires removal of the steering wheel (remove airbag first). It's not a complicated job, but you do need a special puller (about $ 15) and a Torx-50 bit. Use the drive socket-type Torx bit so you can tighten it according to the specs.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Henry10s
You need to check the connectors in the back of the cluster, i.e. removal of instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this requires removal of the steering wheel (remove airbag first). It's not a complicated job, but you do need a special puller (about $ 15) and a Torx-50 bit. Use the drive socket-type Torx bit so you can tighten it according to the specs.
is there where somewhere i can find a picture on how to remove the sterring wheel and air bag?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Heynes Manual has a fairly decent section with photos.

You need this puller Amazon.com: Performance Tool Steering Wheel Puller Set - Model# W80651: Home Improvement

You also need this Torx-50 bit Amazon.com: Lisle 26640 T-50 Torx Bit Socket: Automotive

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM
remmers
Mountain Pass
I am lost because when i pull the fuses for the cluster they are good,but there is no power getting to the fuse block for that fuse.

I went to ford and got the wiring diagram and it is like reading a map that leads to now where. it shows fusible links for the power cluster, and i want to check them but doesnt show where they are.

I think i will pull the cluster and take a look see.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by remmers
I am lost because when i pull the fuses for the cluster they are good,but there is no power getting to the fuse block for that fuse.

I went to ford and got the wiring diagram and it is like reading a map that leads to now where. it shows fusible links for the power cluster, and i want to check them but doesnt show where they are.

I think i will pull the cluster and take a look see.
Fusable links are in the engine compartment. If there is no 12V (with Key On / Engine Off or on) at the fuse terminals, there is no point in opening the cluster.

If the fusable link is the problem, other things would have been affected -- I don't have the diagram with me to check.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Henry I've been able to repeatedly remove the cluster in my '00 E250 without bothering the steering wheel etc-----fairly easy in fact. Simply remove the headlight switch **** (the most challenging part really), tug on the surrounding trim panel (single from 2000 onward, two pieces 1997-'99) which is held in place via two screws just above the clear mask open for the cluster, apply parking break & move shift column to Low and trim clears everything. After this trim is gone there are four more screws, the small lanyard for shift indication and the cluster tilts forward giving access to the three connectors on the rear.

Remmers Henry is probably onto something with the fusible links especially if you have no power to the fuses I mentioned. Under the hood, typically left side just forward of the master cylinder you'll find another fuse box--check fuse #36---if open replace it, check for operation once again.

In looking over my factory EVTM manual I don't see where Henry's fusible link is located although that would be the next logical place to search for an open connection.

Sorry I can't be more specific for you!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
I have checked every fuse in both fuses boxes, so i have a friend who works on trucks coming over and we are going to take the cluster out and make sure it is connected and we are also going to trace the wires and make sure there isnt a bad wire

Just sucks because the van runs so good, but this is driving me crazy

Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Not removing the steering wheel? That's great. I have done the job twice in my '97 (cluster lights once + shift cable once). I went by the book (which wasn't hard), and didn't see or bother to see any other way.

Now I know. I hope Remmers reads this in time, although he needs to check elsewhere first.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
I also got the wiring diagram for this van and it is a map to nowhere.

Ford didnt do a very good job on telling you where to look for these wires

Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by remmers
I also got the wiring diagram for this van and it is a map to nowhere.

Ford didnt do a very good job on telling you where to look for these wires
There is also a diagram that shows component locations. I have that in my shop, which I won't get to until this weekend, which doesn't help you now.

Re: fusable links: from memory: some could be mounted next to the starter relay, which is on the radiator support (between radiator and driver's side headlight).

Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
remmers
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Henry10s
There is also a diagram that shows component locations. I have that in my shop, which I won't get to until this weekend, which doesn't help you now.

Re: fusable links: from memory: some could be mounted next to the starter relay, which is on the radiator support (between radiator and driver's side headlight).
I checked the 2 that come off the starter relay, i will "poke around" for the ones on the drivers side.

Thanks for all the help

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
There are more than 2, probably 6 or 7. Taking out the battery helps.

Quick Reply: cluster not working